Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Need something like a jcm800 with a lead channel....any ideas???

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
For years I'e been playing a jcm800 2203 with a tube screamer in front as a boost.
I play crossover punk/metal. Works for me, sounds great!!
Problem is there's nowhere to go for a lead boost for solos., I play in a  2 guitar band.

What I could do with ideally is something like a jcm800 2203 but with a lead channel for a bit of a boost.

Any ideas?? 

I don;t necessarily need something thats 100 watts, but I'm a fairly traditional player who gigs a lot so something simple and reliable is a must.

Any ideas?? DSL??Jcm900??

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Do you need more gain, or just volume boosted for solos?
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Mesa Stiletto? It's definitely in the ballpark.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Brunetti 059
  • MattGMattG Frets: 170
    get one of the talented builders on here to knock you something together
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Just put a boost in the fx loop if its a volume bump that you need
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    JVM.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17680
    tFB Trader
    It's a bit of a different amp, but you could do a lot worse than a Jet City and they cost peanuts.
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    Sounds like a Marshall Jubilee is exactly what you're after...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    The JCM900 SL-X is the closest. It has more gain, and two footswitchable master volumes. It's simple and reliable, doesn't use diode clipping like the other 900s and the Jubilees, doesn't catch fire like a DSL, or have a million knobs like a JVM.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I assume it doesn’t have a loop so your options are limited for a volume boost assuming you are running it distorted. Depending on how much you love the sound of the JCM800 there are a couple of options – BadCat Unleash allows you to footswitch between an attenuated and un-attenuated signal. The ‘Underdrive’ concept (a few pedals do this) and I think it’s effectively like having another volume control set to two levels, so when it’s on, its like rolling your guitar volume back a few notches and when off its fully open.
  • Laney AOR?
  • ICBM said:
    The JCM900 SL-X is the closest. It has more gain, and two footswitchable master volumes. It's simple and reliable, doesn't use diode clipping like the other 900s and the Jubilees, doesn't catch fire like a DSL, or have a million knobs like a JVM.
    Thanks !l might keep my eye open .
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    Just put a boost in the fx loop if its a volume bump that you need
    Agreed - or an EQ if you want to also shape your lead tone's EQ a little as well as lift volume.  Simple solution & way cheaper than buying a whole new amp rig!  ;)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    That depends if it's an original 2203 or a reissue… originals don't have FX loops.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4729
    edited November 2016
    ICBM said:
    That depends if it's an original 2203 or a reissue… originals don't have FX loops.
    Fair point...and the old jcm800 I had when I was young (a long time ago in a galaxy far far away!) had no fx loop.  However, even if it didn't it shouldn't be difficult to have one added and that would be way cheaper and more convenient than buying a new rig.  I appreciate that some folk might not want to interfere with the originality but at the end of the day these things are just tools to do a job and modern needs have changed.  However a boost or EQ pedal in front of the amp might do the job but it might add some gain.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7577
    Get one of these fitted to your guitar - they are all the rage! :-) 

Red ones are better. 
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    TimmyO said:
    Get one of these fitted to your guitar - they are all the rage! :-) 

Or, do it properly and fit one of these:

;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2914
    edited November 2016
    Adjusting the guitar volume won't give you enough of a boost imo. A tubescreamer works for me (byoc clone, mines an 808 think) into the rehearsal spaces JMP (amp gain around 8) but I'm the only guitarist so not fighting so much to be heard.

Btw just saw this video. The DSL sounds great to me, better than the 900 SLX (through phone speakers) and has an fx loop for lead boosts. 

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24660
    If you have a loop- DOD BiFet preamp in the loop. 

edited November 2016
    TTBZ said:

Btw just saw this video. The DSL sounds great to me, better than the 900 SLX (through phone speakers) and has an fx loop for lead boosts.
    That isn't an SL-X, it's a Dual Reverb… which is a hybrid amp and in my opinion doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the SL-X.

I still think it sounded better than the DSL though - the DSL sounds congested and muddy. The Splawn also sounds muddy and oddly hollow and boomy, not like a Marshall.

The best by a long way was the JVM - it has the proper mixture of crunch and that strange woody tone that you get from the old Marshalls, even though it has a lot more gain.