Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Need something like a jcm800 with a lead channel....any ideas???

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBM said:
    TTBZ said:

Btw just saw this video. The DSL sounds great to me, better than the 900 SLX (through phone speakers) and has an fx loop for lead boosts.
    That isn't an SL-X, it's a Dual Reverb… which is a hybrid amp and in my opinion doesn't sound anywhere near as good as the SL-X.

I still think it sounded better than the DSL though - the DSL sounds congested and muddy. The Splawn also sounds muddy and oddly hollow and boomy, not like a Marshall.

The best by a long way was the JVM - it has the proper mixture of crunch and that strange woody tone that you get from the old Marshalls, even though it has a lot more gain.
    Maybe I should look at a jvm?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72674
    riffpowers said:

Maybe! Although the complexity may be an issue. But it does sound really good in that clip.

I actually think the 50W one sounds better than the 100W (apart from the Satriani model) and is simpler.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    riffpowers said:

Maybe! Although the complexity may be an issue. But it does sound really good in that clip.

I actually think the 50W one sounds better than the 100W (apart from the Satriani model) and is simpler.
    I'll keep my eye out for one.
    any idea how reliable they are??
    riffpowers said:

any idea how reliable they are??
    I haven't seen a dead one yet. I did come across a JVM410 early on that had some sort of switching fault and went back to Marshall, but not since then. They still use the crappy plastic pots I don't like and which are fairly easy to damage though, so I'd recommend casing it or at worst getting a very thick cover.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7577
    How about a 2203x reissue (with fx loop) - with a boost in the loop ? 
    Red ones are better. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    Howabout turn the gain down, then to give yourself a touch of headroom, then use a clean boost to boost the volume for solos, whilst also adding to the grit.

Alternatively, use an EQ pedal to boost the upper mids/top for solos - in my experience Marshalls are a mush of mids normally, meaning they get a bit lost in a two guitar mix. Volume isn't necessarily the key to cutting through for a solo, sometimes its about changing the frequency range.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 366
    EQ pedal with level control and maybe re-think the 2-gtr mix and eq accordingly.
    eg, for chord stuff both of you don't need tons of gain, neither bass and you could tone down both gtrs and let the fact that you got 2 of them, L and R carry the sound. 
    Then when you need less effort to climb above the other gtr when you boost for soloing. 

As an example. get the other gtr to cover the low mids and high range (>3kHz) and stay in the middle. When you solo aim for 2.5kHZ boost and and you should cut through whilst the other gtr still adds to the surrounding mix. 
    i.e. get the other gtr to "envelope" your solo frequencies. 

Maybe buy the eq pedal as a Xmas gift to the other player lol. 

This should work for chunky rhythm parts but for more elaborate arrangements (lead harmonies etc) it may need a bit more thought.

A bit studio-y but why not..
  • The JVM sounded pretty good there. I could live with just the three modes of the clean channel...

The splawn sounded weird, like it was filling the sound spectrum with sounds but I couldn't actually hear them...or there's a certain hollowness to it that isn't just an absence of mids.

the DSL had the characteristic shitness I'm used to hearing from rehearsal room amps and the 900 was better than expected but not great. 

I think on that evidence if you want jcm800+ the JVM must be worth a look.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyO said:
    How about a 2203x reissue (with fx loop) - with a boost in the loop ? 
    I agree, why look at inferior marshall's if you have something that basically works and with a loop could address your problem?
    You don't actually even need a boost in the loop, if the amp has one - a simple passive volume *cut* will work as well, you just set it for your rhythm sound and turn it off for lead.

• If you are used to a JCM800 a JVM will feel like a toy. Get a metro zero loss loop installed for £150 and stick a BOSS GE7 in it. Done.

• If you are used to a JCM800 a JVM will feel like a toy. Get a metro zero loss loop installed for £150 and stick a BOSS GE7 in it. Done.

The fx loop thing gets mentioned all the time. Problem is I'm looking to keep it as simple as I can !!
    riffpowers said:

The fx loop thing gets mentioned all the time. Problem is I'm looking to keep it as simple as I can !!
    An FX loop with a passive volume cut box in it is only one cable more complicated than a channel-switching amp with a footswitch.

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2914
    I had a listen to that video again today and I still really like the DSL! I borrowed a mates a while back and contrary to the popular Internet opinion it sounded great to me, better than my Laney as well which everyone seemed to say would trounce it. Maybe I just have cloth ears or weird taste haha. I never got the thin buzzy sound people seem to complain about. 
    TTBZ said:
    I had a listen to that video again today and I still really like the DSL! I borrowed a mates a while back and contrary to the popular Internet opinion it sounded great to me, better than my Laney as well which everyone seemed to say would trounce it. Maybe I just have cloth ears or weird taste haha. I never got the thin buzzy sound people seem to complain about. 
    The odd thing is that in that video it doesn't sound thin and buzzy, it sounds dull and muddy!

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2914
    Haha yeah the opposite to what people normally say about them online! 

I played a 50w dual reverb 900 earlier and it was bloody horrid. Fizzy and mushy. 
    TTBZ said:

I played a 50w dual reverb 900 earlier and it was bloody horrid. Fizzy and mushy. 
    The Dual Reverbs tend to be like that. They are very much a hybrid amp, and it just doesn't quite work - I'm not against hybrid sounds at all, in fact some of my favourite rock sounds are using a pedal into a valve amp - so I'm not sure what the exact problem is, but they just don't sound anywhere near as good as the SL-X or even the older non-reverb 'High Gain Master Volume' amps which still use diode clipping although the actual gain is still valve. The Dual Reverbs are essentially two pedal circuits into a bit of a valve amp with some more solid-state stuff...

• I think the JCM800 is (for me) the best rythmn guitar amp ever, but for me it lacks some of the features I need as a lead player, namely a lead channel!!

I need something with that kind of sound, but with a lead channel.

Any ideas?? 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I think the JCM800 is (for me) the best rythmn guitar amp ever, but for me it lacks some of the features I need as a lead player, namely a lead channel!!

Any ideas?? 
    That's what we've all been suggesting!

Your options, roughly in order of increasing complexity/distance from the exact JCM800 sound are:

JCM800 with an FX loop and a boost/cut pedal in it, or JCM800 with a footswitchable attenuator.
    JCM900 SL-X - similar voicing (although not the same) and switchable MV settings.
    Two-channel Marshall - JCM800 split-channel, Jubilee, JCM900 Dual Reverb, DSL, JVM (not in order of closeness to JCM800 sound).
    Some other amp.

Final option: two JCM800s and an A/B box.

• riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    edited December 2016
    ICBM said:
    I think the JCM800 is (for me) the best rythmn guitar amp ever, but for me it lacks some of the features I need as a lead player, namely a lead channel!!

Any ideas?? 
    That's what we've all been suggesting!

Your options, roughly in order of increasing complexity/distance from the exact JCM800 sound are:

JCM800 with an FX loop and a boost/cut pedal in it, or JCM800 with a footswitchable attenuator.
    JCM900 SL-X - similar voicing (although not the same) and switchable MV settings.
    Two-channel Marshall - JCM800 split-channel, Jubilee, JCM900 Dual Reverb, DSL, JVM (not in order of closeness to JCM800 sound).
    Some other amp.

Final option: two JCM800s and an A/B box.
    Thanks !!

what would you say the closest in voicing are ??