Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Advice needed - Cheap and cheerful amp head with some power

What's Hot
meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10339
Can anyone recommend an used amp head purchase, ideally cheap and cheerful?
Ideally it will be 50w+ or capable of being clean at volume with a loud drummer. 

Im not bothered about loads of channels, I can get by on one, I wont rule out multi channel though

Cheers
The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 360
    Depends on what you mean by cheap, but a used Orange CR120 will do the job as well as anything.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jet City?
  • ah of course, I always forget about Jet city
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Bugera v55, very cheap, very good! 
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1390
    Dsl50? Jcm900? 
  • what cab / speaker set up you using - assuming you're buying a head ?  

and what sort of sound you after - fender clean / AC30 chime / Marshall - edge of breakup ?? 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31675
    There have been a couple of JCA50H heads sold on here for around £130, they're great amps. 
  • For cleans, I loved my old Laney lh50, available used often for less than £200. It's a nice clean channel, takes pedals great, has a bright switch too. The crunch channel is nice, but a bit bland sounding. It's all about the cleans. They stay clean until quite loud,too, easily keeps up with a rock drummer. 

As a bonus, it's smaller than your average 50 watt head.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    You can buy a brand new Jet City for less than the second hand price of a lot of other amps which are less well-made and reliable.

Or even a Bugera, they're pretty good too.

There are also a large number of older solid-state or hybrid amps which sound good, are reliable and sell for around £100, eg the Marshall Valvestate 8100 or VS100.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I think I will punt for a jet city.

I did previously own a Laney lh50 ( I think) I should have kept it. 

I've recently moved to a new practice room so cabs are provided but no amps and I really don't fancy lugging my hiwatt to practice every time. 
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639

100W tvp?

Well, I gotta ain't I?!!

Dave.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83 said:

100W tvp?

Well, I gotta ain't I?!!

Dave.

Is that a blackstar? Don't take this the wrong way and i mean no personal insult here but I honestly would rather gargle a pint of piss than own a blackstar. 
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • The AC30 head I picked up for £300 sounds bloody lovely. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    The AC30 head I picked up for £300 sounds bloody lovely. 
    Bastard! I wanted that... ;-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• @impmann I know, I recall. If I ever sell, you can have first refusal 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    @impmann I know, I recall. If I ever sell, you can have first refusal 
    <3
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

ecc83 said:

100W tvp?

Well, I gotta ain't I?!!

Dave.

Is that a blackstar? Don't take this the wrong way and i mean no personal insult here but I honestly would rather gargle a pint of piss than own a blackstar. 

Well, if you know of my past involvement it is hard not to be a little insulted by such a rabid reaction!

Dave.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ecc83 I honestly have no idea of your involvement. Like I said it was not intended to be a personal insult but if you were involved in any design I guess that makes things awkward. 
    @ecc83 I honestly have no idea of your involvement. Like I said it was not intended to be a personal insult but if you were involved in any design I guess that makes things awkward. 

Ok, well we can draw a veil. Do you have any particular evidence or experience that causes so much vitriol?

Dave.

• I've used 7 or so models of blackstar at various practice rooms. My general impression is that the range is generally geared towards heavy rock/metal. I say this as the drive channels tend to have a shit load of punch and sound massive but the sound doesn't seem to carry in the mix. 
    The cleans generally sound overly toppy on single coils and some humbuckers. 
    All amps felt like they were trying to cover all trades but for me they mastered none.

From the model names I can remember I have used 

One series 100w
    Ht20
    3 or 4 of the ID models
    And something else but the name escapes me

Currently at practice I will reach for a vox valvetronic before I will use the blackstar. 

But do bare in mind I am sharing my opinion, I'm not passing anything off as fact. I am entitled to dislike a range of apps especially when I have had extended playing time on a variety of models