Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Advice needed - Cheap and cheerful amp head with some power

What's Hot

Comments

• I will say that the Artisan 30s are bloody great... but certainly aren't cheap 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh, and if you ever try to sell them it's less than cheerful too 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Oh, and if you ever try to sell them it's less than cheerful too 
    That's true. I gave up trying to sell my ht40. I bottomed out at 250 gbp.  I since put a wgs speaker in it which had helped massively but I wish I'd never bought the thing. Was swayed by good reviews when I started playing again but it's average at best.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1639
    edited November 2016

"But do bare in mind I am sharing my opinion, I'm not passing anything off as fact. I am entitled to dislike a range of apps especially when I have had extended playing time on a variety of models"

Of course you are but it might have been better to couch it in those terms above?

The second hand value is not really something you can "design in"! B's could I suppose greatly inflate the new price?

The Artisan 30 was mentioned and said to be expensive. In cash terms it is but put against similar, boutigue handwired amps, not outrageous and I would stack its reliability against any 30W valve amp in the world regardless of cost.

And on the subject of reliability? From what ICBM tells us, the Blackstars might be the only ones TOO reach for in the rehearsal room!  

Dave.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    The IDs do seem to be reliable, yes. As you know I'm not exactly a fan of the Blackstar sound either though! I'd take working and not sounding great over the opposite…

.. but I'd still rather have an old Peavey :).

The Blackstars aren't that cheap, either - even a second hand ID60 will cost about the same as a new Jet City 50.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

Don't know where the Blackstar hate comes from I've had an Artisan 30 which was lovely, and gigged a S2 -50 for over a year, really versatile and sounds much better than a lot of people would have you believe.

• @ecc83 I don't have to clarify my reasons for disliking something when it comes to spending my own money. This is my thread, not someone elses asking for advice on buying a blackstar amp. 
    I humoured you in this instance assuming you would come forward with a reason as to why you take such offense to me not liking blackstar as a brand. 

And regarding reliability you might want to have a word with stalkers studios Northampton. The blackstar amps there go down more than Katie Price.
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Peavey? Windsor?
    @ecc83 I don't have to clarify my reasons for disliking something when it comes to spending my own money. This is my thread, not someone elses asking for advice on buying a blackstar amp. 
    I humoured you in this instance assuming you would come forward with a reason as to why you take such offense to me not liking blackstar as a brand. 

And regarding reliability you might want to have a word with stalkers studios Northampton. The blackstar amps there go down more than Katie Price.

Of course you don't have to explain a DISLIKE(?) to me or anyone else. It was the extreme way in which you did it that I did not understand. I'd be just as curious had you slagged off Peavey, Vox or any other mainstream maker.

I shall see if I can contact that studio. Unknown to me but at least they don't have far to go for a tech!

BTW I was in PMT Northampton a few weeks ago (was in town, wanted to hear an Artist 15) and the guy told me they sell more Blackstar amps than any other brand.

Dave.

• @ecc83 I am sure they sell more Squiers than they do custom shop fenders too. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    @ecc83 I am sure they sell more Squiers than they do custom shop fenders too. 

ANY other brand.

Dave.

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    @ecc83 Dave, I think we've just got a Blackstar-hater here so your words and reasoning will have no effect.
  • I've used 7 or so models of blackstar at various practice rooms. My general impression is that the range is generally geared towards heavy rock/metal. I say this as the drive channels tend to have a shit load of punch and sound massive but the sound doesn't seem to carry in the mix. 
    The cleans generally sound overly toppy on single coils and some humbuckers. 
    All amps felt like they were trying to cover all trades but for me they mastered none.

From the model names I can remember I have used 

One series 100w
    Ht20
    3 or 4 of the ID models
    And something else but the name escapes me

Currently at practice I will reach for a vox valvetronic before I will use the blackstar. 

But do bare in mind I am sharing my opinion, I'm not passing anything off as fact. I am entitled to dislike a range of apps especially when I have had extended playing time on a variety of models

I think I will punt for a jet city.

I did previously own a Laney lh50 ( I think) I should have kept it. 

I've recently moved to a new practice room so cabs are provided but no amps and I really don't fancy lugging my hiwatt to practice every time. 

They're decent, but @icbm reckons the jet city are better built than modern Laney amps. 

I could go along with most of this. They are great for hard rock. 

The artisan series is lovely. The a100 has its roots in a vintage Marshall. I'd like to know what it was based on.

Expensive mind!  
  • Peavey? Windsor?

Oh yeah, these are good. Loud as balls though. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12683
    ecc83 said:
    @ecc83 I am sure they sell more Squiers than they do custom shop fenders too. 

ANY other brand.

Dave.

Having endured the suffering that is PMT Northampton on many occasions, that is because they are pre-programed to suggest Blackstar above any other brand. When I tried out a Jazzmaster one of the muppets in there pulled out a Blackstar ID for me to try it through - I said "no thanks, I'd rather a Fender amp like my own", I was then lectured by said dickhead about how a Blackstar can sound like any amp, and that perhaps I ought to "upgrade", as Fenders are "notoriously unreliable".  I politely declined and asked again for the Fender.

Not an isolated incident - another time, I was plugged into a Blackstar (and IMHO I didn't like the sound) and I was lectured about how I should support a local business when I said I didn't like it and could I please hear the guitar through a Fender amp... I didn't have the heart to tell them that I worked for Line6 at the time, another "local business".

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • To be fair I've never had that experience in pmt but I wouldn't be surprised if they do have to push the blackstar with the whole outside of the building being covered with blackstar posters and all. 
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    To be fair I've never had that experience in pmt but I wouldn't be surprised if they do have to push the blackstar with the whole outside of the building being covered with blackstar posters and all. 

I've never had that experience either although the last 3 times I've shopped in a PMT was specifically to buy Marshall stuff so perhaps they assumed I was a lost cause ;)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4046
    To be fair I've never had that experience in pmt but I wouldn't be surprised if they do have to push the blackstar with the whole outside of the building being covered with blackstar posters and all. 
    Last time I went into PMT (Romford) looking for an amp I was kind of interested in a Blackstar -- had 'em before and "devil you know" and all that -- but the guy serving me there listened to the sort of spec was after and suggested the Orange CR120 head as well.  I'd never have considered that amp otherwise and I think it was an inspired choice.  Love that amp.
    And @meltedbuzzbox it's about £320 new if that's "cheap" -- I thought it was compared to my JVM*

* which as it happens will be up for sale soon.  New, they're pricey; second hand, bargain time!
  • JCA50h /end thread
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Chalky said:
    @ecc83 Dave, I think we've just got a Blackstar-hater here so your words and reasoning will have no effect.

I fear you are right Mr C! To me Blackstar are a bunch of guys producing THEIR ideas about guitar amplifiers (why they left Y.K.W!) . The amps are well made and very reliable and at debatably fair prices.

They also employ quite few people, here and abroad. Yes, mistakes have been made. I know the technical guys have cringed at some of the "excesses" and mistakes of the published ads!

Dave.