Dog owners - daft things yours does

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24350
Pugsley does a few things I don't get.  The first is when putting on his harness for walkies, he has to have a game of tug with it, followed by a minute of quietly chewing the webbing before I have any chance of getting it on him properly.  Then, when we come back and I reach down to unclip it on his side, he leans his body in hard towards my hand - every time.  Lastly, he refuses to eat his food unless I'm with him, and in the living room.  If I put it in the kitchen, he won't show any interest.  Pick up the bowl and walk towards the living room and he's bouncing off the floor and will get stuck in as soon as I put it down in the living room - and stay with him.  If I leave, he stops eating.

Why does he do this. and what weird shit does yours do ?
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
I'm personally responsible for all global warming
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• My Jack Russell sees me start a thread on here then waits for me to put the iPad down and when my back is turned logs in and starts a duplicate thread using my login. Bloody annoying that
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    As soon as Hazard hears the freezer door open he pelts it to the kitchen for an ice cube. Then he takes said cube onto our back door mat to eat it. He must have super non-sensitive teeth.

• Mine posts the same thread twice in guitar forums

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7207
    edited November 2016
    Mine posts the same thread twice in guitar forums
    Haha , I beat you to it Randall - we must have the same scriptwriter :-)
  • Our Coco has a serious problem with spatial awareness. If Dutch is standing in a doorway and she wants to go through it, she just looks at us and whines a bit until we get him to move.

This might not seem unusual, until you realise that Dutch is a Chihuahua and Coco's an Akita.

Coco also likes to lie on the sofa with us - perfectly normal behaviour for an Akita, except she wants to be held upside down in the crook of your arm, like a baby. This can be...challenging.
    <space for hire>
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited November 2016
     Emp_Fab said:
     Lastly, he refuses to eat his food unless I'm with him, and in the living room.
    My dog is OK with eating, but has a similar problem with drinking. If I want him to drink, I need to stand next to him what my hand on him. Otherwise, he won't drink. As soon as I remove my hand, he stops. And he doesn't like animals apart from humans. So he even barks at bees, butterflies, etc. Actually, on clear nights, he will go out and bark at the stars too.
  • We had a lovely staffie, who was absolutely mad for squeaky toys. Absolutely loved them. 

We'd buy them for her as treats, but if you accidentally squeaked one while putting it in the cupboard she'd spend literally the next two hours searching the house for it. 

When she got given one the reaction was amazing - five minutes of orgasmic squeaking as she ran around the house showing it off, then it would be punctured and ripped into tiny little pieces. 

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27610
    Emp_Fab said:
    Lastly, he refuses to eat his food unless I'm with him, and in the living room.  
    Butler Serving Pet Dog on Sofa  Stock Photo
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • jpttaylorjpttaylor Frets: 465
    edited November 2016
    Our labrador Coco who turned 1 last week has a thing that when someone comes downstairs in the morning, she's always excited to see them but must bring them one of her chew toys as like a present. She'll do the same thing if someone she doesn't know comes through the front door, sometimes woofing at them and wagging her tail, at the same time.

She also thinks that she's people when sitting on the sofa.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928

Winnie, my dog, knows about 83 English words and 6 French words.

'No' is not one of them.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12383
    edited November 2016
    jpttaylor said:
    Our labrador Coco who turned 1 last week has a thing that when someone comes downstairs in the morning, she's always excited to see them but must bring them one of her chew toys as like a present. She'll do the same thing if someone she doesn't know comes through the front door, sometimes woofing at them and wagging her tail, at the same time.

She also thinks that she's people when sitting on the sofa.
    Our lab is very similar. He's got about 4 or 5 soft toys and has to go and find one when we come down in the morning or somebody comes into the house.

He was brought up with two kittens and we swear he thinks he's actually a cat... he tries to get through the cat flap and also tries to get on our laps when we're on the sofa. He weighs 30kgs. 
  • Our Cavachon Teddy is led by his nose. If possible he'll walk on the kerb, sniffing the gutter, and then randomly falls off every couple of minutes. He has walked straight into a bus stop twice, when he was admiring another dog across the road. He goes nuts at the ironing board when it makes a creaking noise being folded up. He hates anything on his patch - birds on the roof, a squirrel, that sort of thing. He randomly barks at 3 or 4 dogs and desperately wants to sniff the rest.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    Sprocket always opens with the Queen's Gambit. Always.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Sporky said:
    Sprocket always opens with the Queen's Gambit. Always.

Do you accept the gambit though??
    edited November 2016
    Not much choice - her version of the Queen's Gambit is to pick up the queen and run away.
  • derndern Frets: 357
    My lurcher will look around the room excitedly if I say "where's your ball?" even if it's right in front on him.

He's also got an irrational hatred of soft toys, woollen hats and wicker...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7791
    Our Coco has a serious problem with spatial awareness. If Dutch is standing in a doorway and she wants to go through it, she just looks at us and whines a bit until we get him to move.

This might not seem unusual, until you realise that Dutch is a Chihuahua and Coco's an Akita.

Coco also likes to lie on the sofa with us - perfectly normal behaviour for an Akita, except she wants to be held upside down in the crook of your arm, like a baby. This can be...challenging.

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    One of ours,sammy, can be asleep snoring but if anybody farts then he is there to the person that farted everytime. Its like you just picked up his favourite toy. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

Barney doesn't understand stairs. He thinks its a wrestling arena, so runs up a few ahead of you so you have to fight him as you're walking up, then runs up a few more.

he is only 9 months old mind   

Sprocket tries to overtake on the stairs. She doesn't realise she's as wide as a bus.