Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Tips for moving house please ...

What's Hot

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    TTony said:
    WezV said:
    NPP said:
    Beer. 

And beer. 
    And gluten free beer for Tony 
    Do you guys do anything yet @WezV?  But it's a good point, I need to add a Brewdog order to the Waitrose & Majestic orders

Not yet, but we have a deal with Estrella so their gluten free beer is in the staff shop
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27603
    octatonic said:
    I'm sure I've said this in other threads but we ruled out some very nice houses because they didn't have fibre broadband.
    We thought about it for a bit and didn't think it would be an issue until I throttled our home connection in London down to 2meg to see how we felt about it.
    Took about an hour before we both agreed it was a non-starter.

We get 2.5mb on a good day where we currently are.  Although the village is scheduled for fibre next year.

Where we're going is the same, except it's too small to get scheduled for fibre in the foreseeable.  I think my best bet is probably EE getting the contract for emergency services 4G network, meaning that they're going to have to fill-in some of the blackspots.  I'm hoping we'll be part of that fill-in work.

octatonic said:

Is this the same house from a few months ago?
    I thought you'd pulled out of that one?
    On the day that we pulled out of that one, my Rightmove alert popped up with a different property.  Actually, one that we'd wanted to buy 4-5 years ago when we'd last looked at moving, but we couldn't sell ours in time and the place we wanted disappeared.

Often thought about that place ... and then karma pinged it into my inbox.

Turns out that the owners had withdrawn it for a number of reasons, but 4-5 years later, decided to try again.

We went to look at it again (just to check) 2 days after it was listed, made an asking price offer there & then (which somewhat surprised the Estate Agents) and so the deal was done.

It still needs work, but is far more manageable.  "Only" has 5 acres, but cuts my commute into the City by 20mins.  And - importantly - isn't listed !!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    WezV said:
    TTony said:
    WezV said:
    NPP said:
    Beer. 

And beer. 
    And gluten free beer for Tony 
    Do you guys do anything yet @WezV?  But it's a good point, I need to add a Brewdog order to the Waitrose & Majestic orders

Not yet, but we have a deal with Estrella so their gluten free beer is in the staff shop
    Ahhhh, that's my #2.  Can you ship a few cases @WezV ;???

;)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    Some pics please.
    And hurry up about it :) 
  • Cleaning stuff at the ready. No matter how much the vendor has done you'll still want to give it a proper scrub. Our first place was filthy despite the seller saying she'd been cleaning all week.. the second was twice as bad.

Broadband booking is easily top of the list. We had Virgin booked (new build) and the two weeks felt like two years. 

"A city star won’t shine too far"

• My Sister just moved into her flat, it was easier as she didn't need to take everything from here straight away. Unfortunately the sellers father passed away on the moving date, we told them it was OK to take their time, but they were out of the house by 3.
  • TTony said:
    octatonic said:
    Book your broadband connection day now.
    It can take up to two excruciating weeks to get it turned on otherwise.
    Ahhhhh ... "broadband".

The good news is that the local exchange is fibre-enabled.

Yay, welcome to the 21st century!

The bad news is that we're way too far from the local cabinet to get "superfast" or even "mildly quick".  We have copper cable over telegraph poles.  I'd pay for fibre to be run, but can't find an ISP to give me a service.

The even worse news is that we seem to be in a bit of a mobile network blackspot unless a Yagi receiver on the end of a long pole at the corner of the plot can capture a decent signal.

Else, we're on a satellite connection.
    This is why God, in his wisdom, created the Pigeon!!

Regarding the day of moving, even if the removal  guys do a good job, there always seems to be a lot more for you to do than you initially think. Especially giving the place a bit of a tidy up when everything is shifted out the house.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714
    Label each box with the name of the destination room, and put labels on the doors of the rooms. That saves you having to stand at the front door. In one move we had to number the rooms because the removeral men couldn't read.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    Get your post redirected for six months. It's amazing how many things you forget about till you get a letter from them. 
  • When we moved we found we had to go and buy some cheap plates, a teaspoon and a tea towel.  

When we arrived at the house there was a box on the doorstep from our mortgage lender with a bunch of really useful stuff inside, mugs teabags, radiator keys, washing up liquid etc etc. It was a very welcome and useful surprise.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31605
    The last time I moved house I put my clothes in a bin bag, my guitar over my shoulder and my passport in my pocket.

I'd hate to have to do it now, I'd need three months prep and half a dozen skips. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3590
    Colour tag the boxes with big stickers top and side(s)

Colour denotes the room (can also be written) but is obvious when stacked if a blue label appears in a stack of red ones. And Put a Cross (or not) on critical contents boxes. If you need to hunt for key/urgent stuff you want to search the fewest boxes (I know you have a speadsheet) but books and china niknaks can be unpacked at leisure days or even weeks later while Ipads, kettles, cutlery etc are needed day one.
    Delegate - give ownership of tasks to individuals (removalists or family/friends) and only get involved if they ask for help, you can live with the results anyway and being relieved of the task makes you more efficient.

Pace yourself, take 5 for a coffee/tea and a kitKat while you facebook some pointless shyte before getting back to it. No point being manic only to collapse the next morning and be usless for a week!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    ESBlonde said:
    And Put a Cross (or not) on critical contents boxes. If you need to hunt for key/urgent stuff you want to search the fewest boxes
    Ahhhhh - now, that's a neat idea that I'd not thought of.

Some boxes will be asterisked ...

Thanks
    :)
  • I've just moved and will need to do so shortly. Pack a backpack with essentials as if you were going on a 5 day trip. Don't pack the coffee machine, leave it in the car.
    Pack a backpack with essentials as if you were going on a 5 day trip.
    It's not quite a backpack, but it's the same principle ... we'll be packing the van as if we were going on holiday.  So;
    • dogs
    • clothes for a few days
    • easy food / drinks (for us & dogs!)
    • music source (essentials)
    • iPads & all the chargers
    • etc
    That way, if the removal trucks get lost or delayed, we can survive.  If there's a last minute problem with getting access, we'll just decamp to a friends / hotel until it's sorted, etc ...
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2478
    Get a skip.
    Now is the ideal time to get rid of all that crap.
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    FX_Munkee said:
    Get a skip.
    Now is the ideal time to get rid of all that crap.
    Already done.
    :D

And the "won't need that for the first couple of months" stuff is all in a storage container so we don't have to hunt through unnecessary boxes in the first days/weeks/months in the new place.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916

had to get satellite internet for 2 years
    We may well be stuck with that too @tonecontrol - any views on how that worked??

it was more than 10 years ago. used Astra 19.2 and old analog ue sky dish
    first firm was good. They lost their deal with Astra
    second was flaky as hell, needed reconfiguring every day
    3rd was Italian firm, was 15 euro a month,  free PCI card  too. 
    Uploads were all through dialup

What about 4G and those local  schemes using wireless?
    or using some kind of  repeater from a  good connection  a mile away?
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11916
    boogieman said:
    Get your post redirected for six months. It's amazing how many things you forget about till you get a letter from them. 
    18 months

What about 4G and those local  schemes using wireless?
    or using some kind of  repeater from a  good connection  a mile away?
    @ToneControl ;
    We've got flaky mobile reception on EE & 3 (nothing on Voda & O2), probably not helped by being on the edge of a mast's broadcast range and an abundance of trees.  Looking at getting a decent phone signal aerial on a chimney (or tree) and wiring that into a (legal) repeater in the house.  If we can get a reliable 4G signal, that's our best bet but it's a big IF.

It might be covered by a local wireless system but (a) it's limited to 8mbps and (b) it's again subject to site survey due to being on the edge of their current range (and the trees may interfere again).

Hence satellite is currently our safest fallback option ...