Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bonamassa. Remind me again why we all hate him?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
Is it about the music? the marketing? His look? Did he shag someone's mother?

I have a couple of his albums, and I have to say that for me they lack 'spark'. I played one song the other day and it went on for over 6 minutes. I think he'd said everything in about 3 max, and after that I was just thinking 'how long is this gonna go on for!?!?!" It's not really my cup of tea in terms of blues, but I don't actually hate the guy. Just another artist that's a bit Meh for me personally.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Jealousy? 

Or his daily endorsement deals 
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11597
    tFB Trader
    I likea lot of his stuff - the ballad of John Henry album is great and i love his version of Tim Curry's Sloe Gin

I think it's the OTT "everything is a branded or signature model" approach to marketing that would make even Gene Simmons blush that seems to stick in some people's craw

......either that or the large amount of blues success he had without ever being thrown in jail for a crime he didn't commit, or having his woman (and even his dawg) gone up and leave him on the midnight train

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33801
    I don't- I think he's a great guitarist and a good songwriter.
    About half his catalogue is exactly my thing, the rest is listenable and there are very few clangers.
    He is much, much more consistent than Clapton, for instance.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't own a single piece of work by him.

I just enjoy hating the haters back. 
  • Oh Jesus, do we really need to do this AGAIN?!

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    It's a slow month...Hee Hee
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    I make fun of him but deep down he's quite a likeable chap.
    Especially like his Kermit like speaking voice. How can you not like Kermit?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    No (and I say that as someone who's not a fan).

That said a friend shared a clip on Facebook in the last couple of days and I was surprised how much better his singing has become.
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6083
    How can you dislike him, he's so cute.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • He is somebody who clearly loves his craft, is sober and a likeable chap, so clearly not rock'N'roll ;0)
    I personally think he needs to take a very long break and write something epic rather than the rapid fire stuff he turns out.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Sometimes I listen to planet rock on the way home from work, a Bonamassa song comes on and in the first 30 seconds I'm thinking "I really should listen to some JB, this is pretty good". By a minute and half in I've completely switched off and am instead thinking about how nice those alloys are on the car in the lane next me. 

I think he's got a lot going for him, I understand why he's popular, but he just can't keep my interest for some reason. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't mind him. I've seen him live and he was great. I don't really follow his signature gear so it doesn't bother me one bit.
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I saw him play at High Voltage a few years ago and thought he was excellent.

I couldn't give a toss about marketing. 
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28381
    Not a big fan of his music, but his signature food processor is excellent, as are the garden tools and dog toys.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    I think it comes down to his unusual path to stardom.

He wasn't the sideman to a superstar or the guitarist in a world class rock band for a decade or whatever and he didn't work his way up by gigging and selling incrementally more albums over a period the way songwriters used to.  Likewise he hasn't been PR'd and moulded by a team of A&R guys and producers.

The result is a rough diamond: he's great at some things, mediocre at others and below par at a few.  Usually these things are knocked out of artists over time or deliberately smoothed out by the professionals but Joe is mega successful now so he doesn't have to listen to anyone and isn't forced to descend from local maximas and learn new ways of doing things.  

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 15973
    edited November 2016

Sporky said:
    Not a big fan of his music, but his signature food processor is excellent, as are the garden tools and dog toys.

muhaaaaa.
    tae be or not tae be
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    I don't hate him, but I find his music deathly dull, his singing poor and thus his success a bit mystifying.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • He has got to where his is though hard bloody graft, you have to hand that to him.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    He has got to where his is though hard bloody graft, you have to hand that to him.
    So it was ..... handed to him??
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited November 2016
    Fantastic player.

EDIT: Those are just my thoughts on him, but could serve as an answer to the thread title as well.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom