Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Bonamassa. Remind me again why we all hate him?

What's Hot

Comments

• I find it very hard to distinguish between JB and Olly Murs. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't hate him, but I find his music deathly dull, his singing poor and thus his success a bit mystifying.
    This is exactly it for me. He's a hard worker and seems a nice chap, so I don't begrudge him anything, I just find his music dull to listen to. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Having listened to mostly blues and blues rock during my late teens and early 20s I can't really stand the genre now, so I avoid artists such as JB.

Can't fault his playing though, just not my thing.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    Seems like a really nice guy, loves guitars, and when you see him noodling around - an amazing player.

Unfortunately, ceaseless merchandising, really not amazing songs on his own (great with Beth Hart tho) - and he keeps letting Kevin Shirley produce him undoes that

What is it with Kevin Shirley? Can't stand his production
  • Whaddya know, it's all the same reasons as it was on all the other Bonamassa threads.

• I heard he likes Michael Mcintyre

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11452
    Sassafras said:
    I make fun of him but deep down he's quite a likeable chap.
    Especially like his Kermit like speaking voice. How can you not like Kermit?
    It's the Kermit singing voice that's the problem.

He needs to be in a band with a good vocalist.
  • im not a huge fan, but i am pretty sure most of us on here wish we could play as well as him, or had half the collection he has. Jealousy 
  • mixolyd said:
    I think it comes down to his unusual path to stardom.

He wasn't the sideman to a superstar or the guitarist in a world class rock band for a decade or whatever and he didn't work his way up by gigging and selling incrementally more albums over a period the way songwriters used to.  Likewise he hasn't been PR'd and moulded by a team of A&R guys and producers.

The result is a rough diamond: he's great at some things, mediocre at others and below par at a few.  Usually these things are knocked out of artists over time or deliberately smoothed out by the professionals but Joe is mega successful now so he doesn't have to listen to anyone and isn't forced to descend from local maximas and learn new ways of doing things.  

What was his "unusual path to stardom"? I thought he had worked his way up by gigging and selling incrementally more albums over a period the way songwriters used to. Wikipedia reckons he's been gigging since he was 12.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Bonamassa

I've never had a great deal of interest in the guy, so there may be more to the story that I'm not aware of.

FWIW, what I've heard of him has been pretty average. Blooze rock is generally a little by-numbers, guitar-centric and long winded, so it's no surprise that JB's stuff is. I've certainly heard it done worse, but I've never heard anything of his that's sent me running to the record shop with a fistful of banknotes.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• crunchman said:
    It's the Kermit singing voice that's the problem.

He needs to be in a band with a good vocalist.

Check out his albums with Beth Hart.

Or Black Country Communion. 

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    I bought a couple of his early albums and thought he was ok, if a bit generic. Nothing he's done since has persuaded me otherwise.  What finally put me off him completely though was all the incessant superstar-grade merchandising and endorsements. His ticket pricing for the last U.K. tour was completely ludicrous too. 
  • I don't hate Mr B, but for me he sounds best when he's just noodling and chatting. I don't really appreciate guitar virtuosity in a band context unless I also like the music. And what I've heard hasn't really been to my taste. Same goes for someone like Phillip Sayce.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Because he's a flat earth, science denying anti vaccinations creationist who denies that we went to the moon? Oh wait, wrong guy lol  =)

I quite like him. I don't follow endorsements anyway but that probably explains some of the hate.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    im not a huge fan, but i am pretty sure most of us on here wish we could play as well as him, or had half the collection he has. Jealousy 
    This.

I don't care for Black Country Communion, or his white boy blues schtick (been done before and better).

Main irritation for me is his endorso-whore behaviour.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    octatonic said:
    I don't- I think he's a great guitarist and a good songwriter.
    About half his catalogue is exactly my thing, the rest is listenable and there are very few clangers.
    He is much, much more consistent than Clapton, for instance.
    he is the Micheal Buble of blues.. lol

seriously though.. I think he's a great player
    personally though [a taste thing] I prefer my blues to be a little rougher around the edges
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2929
    I like BCC and I actually really like his voice.
  • JB is pretty much the text book example of working your way up by constant gigging and selling incrementally more stuff. Ten years ago he was playing my local club to 50 people and now he plays my local arena to 5000 and has hit most points inbetween. I know his dad got him a foot in a few doors, he ran a guitar shop, but he's not exactly a manufactured pop star.

One of the things I like about JB as a person is he is pretty self aware, there's probably no criticism on here he isn't aware of. Even the made up ones.

mixolyd said:
    I think it comes down to his unusual path to stardom.

He wasn't the sideman to a superstar or the guitarist in a world class rock band for a decade or whatever and he didn't work his way up by gigging and selling incrementally more albums over a period the way songwriters used to.  Likewise he hasn't been PR'd and moulded by a team of A&R guys and producers.

The result is a rough diamond: he's great at some things, mediocre at others and below par at a few.  Usually these things are knocked out of artists over time or deliberately smoothed out by the professionals but Joe is mega successful now so he doesn't have to listen to anyone and isn't forced to descend from local maximas and learn new ways of doing things.  

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Clarky said:

he is the Micheal Buble of blues.. lol

Heh. I think I once described John Mayer that way.

• I don't hate him or like him.  I've heard a few of his songs on the radio and they're just stuff that's not bad to listen to but wouldn't be my go-to music.  
    PSN id : snakey33stoo
  • JB is pretty much the text book example of working your way up by constant gigging and selling incrementally more stuff. Ten years ago he was playing my local club to 50 people and now he plays my local arena to 5000 and has hit most points inbetween. I know his dad got him a foot in a few doors, he ran a guitar shop, but he's not exactly a manufactured pop star.

Everybody famous had somebody help them get a foot in a few doors. 

...and ten years ago when he was playing to that crowd of 50 people, Joe was already six years on from his first solo album.