Gluten free Peroni

What's Hot
proggyproggy Frets: 5835

I've just seen this in a Tesco Local and being sufferer of Coeliac disease for the past 12 years or so , I really got quite excited.

Has anyone tried it yet? It'll be nice to have a lager again, cider's ok but I do miss having a lager.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    Oh man, I'm definitely going to give that a try, I miss Peroni.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5551
    If you can get it, try Brewdog Vagabond too. I don't need its gluten-free benefits but buy it anyway cos it tastes real good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStu said:
    If you can get it, try Brewdog Vagabond too. I don't need its gluten-free benefits but buy it anyway cos it tastes real good.
    Oh yes this! I'm currently begging my local booze emporium to start importing it
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    DiscoStu said:

Funnily enough, they had that too. I'll give it a go also.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I'll second the Vagabond.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27662
    Cirrus said:
    Thirded.  Mine comes by the box direct from the brewery shop.

There are some Caterham ales that are pretty good too.  And Daura Damm.

proggy said:

I've just seen this in a Tesco Local and being sufferer of Coeliac disease for the past 12 years or so , I really got quite excited.

Has anyone tried it yet? It'll be nice to have a lager again, cider's ok but I do miss having a lager.

I think it's now down to you to try it and give us a decent review here ... Just like the real thing, or something else entirely??

Good to see that they're trying at least.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • http://gluteninbeer.blogspot.co.uk ;

My wife has Coeliac disease and was delighted to find this website.
    it lists beers/lagers that are virtually gluten free (ie 20 parts per million) which dependant on how severe your gluten tolerance is, you should be able to sink a few without being ill.

Coors is one of her current faves.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • http://gluteninbeer.blogspot.co.uk ;

it lists beers/lagers that are virtually gluten free (ie 20 parts per million) which dependant on how severe your gluten tolerance is, you should be able to sink a few without being ill.

That's awesome! 

They list Corona Extra as under 10ppm, which literally doubles my options for beers I can both obtain and drink out here in the desert. This makes me very happy :D 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    dependant on how severe your gluten tolerance is,
    Hmmmmm.

I had the disease for years before I was disgnosed (the stomach / intestinal biopsy thing, followed a few weeks later with the barium meal and full scan to check for damage).  If I drank/ate too much, I'd get a reaction, but only what I thought was a reasonable bodily response to my abuse of it.

After the diagnosis, and having the effects of my body's response to gluten explained to me, I've been gluten free to the maximum possible extent.  Even if the outward response wasn't that severe, I didn't want to risk the less obvious effects that - I was told - I'd likely suffer if I ingested even the smallest amount of gluten.

I've had "significant" gluten twice since being diagnosed.  The last time was eating a half-slice of bread (in a restaurant, should have been GF, they made a mistake), and my outward reaction was way way more severe than anything before.

My point?  Perhaps our bodies lose the ability to deal with these things as a result of abstinence, or the body might just be managing to restrain the outward effect whilst still suffering the internal damage.

And yes, I know, even accredited GF is often only 99.5% or 99.9% free, not 100%.  But I still aim for accredited GF status, rather than a website that professes to have tested stuff independently.
    [PS]
    Actually, there was a *third* time that I ingested gluten post-diagnosis.  
    I ate pizza, croissants, and drank (local) beer during a 2-wk holiday in St Lucia, and probably a lot else besides as I decided not to try explaining "gluten" to the local restaurants & chefs.  
    I suffered no (outward) response, which was completely inconsistent with my other 2 experiences.
    Maybe my body still had some residual tolerance at that time, maybe the gluten is different there.  I should probably go back for another holiday to check it out ...
  • My wife loves the GF Peroni. I think it's a bit fizzy and lacking, but then most lager is the same to me.
    The Daura Damm is pretty good too, I wouldn't know that either of them are GF if you didn't tell me.

That GlutenInBeer blog is based in the US I think, so might need to be careful as the beers are often brewed under licence so there's no guarantee that the beers are the same.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16752
    My wife loves the GF Peroni. I think it's a bit fizzy and lacking, but then most lager is the same to me.
    The Daura Damm is pretty good too, I wouldn't know that either of them are GF if you didn't tell me.

That GlutenInBeer blog is based in the US I think, so might need to be careful as the beers are often brewed under licence so there's no guarantee that the beers are the same.
    As fas as I know Peroni and Estrella are brewed in the countries they originate, not brewed under licence.  I am 100% sure with Peroni.

thats one reason they cost so much.... costs a lot to shop a product that is 93-95% water

• @WezV perhaps the one we get in the UK is brewed in Italy, but maybe the US version is under licence. It's hard to be 100% certain.
    edited November 2016
    @WezV perhaps the one we get in the UK is brewed in Italy, but maybe the US version is under licence. It's hard to be 100% certain.
    It is, unless you know how much that company values, and trades on its heritage.  Peroni see themselves as a lifestyle brand.

Who knows though, the brand recently got sold to Asahi and switching to licensed brewing is a quick way to increase profits.... but it's pretty well proven to be at the expense of the brands long term  integrity
    Kind of off topic but some beers still don't travel well and licensed brewing is actually best for the brand, but that isnt the case with lager
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    TTony said:
    Cirrus said:
    Thirded.  Mine comes by the box direct from the brewery shop.

There are some Caterham ales that are pretty good too.  And Daura Damm.

proggy said:

I think it's now down to you to try it and give us a decent review here ... Just like the real thing, or something else entirely??

Good to see that they're trying at least.

I'll get some at the weekend and let you know. As for a comparison though, it's been well over a decade since I've been able to drink the real stuff, I might struggle to remember what it taste like.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11961
    I just did my Gluten Tox home kit test on a bottle of one of my favourite IPAs:
    Timothy Taylor's Landlord
    It did not detect anything over 20ppm, so I'm just about to have a 3rd bottle.
    I will report tomorrow if the human part of the experiment fails
  • DiscoStu said:

This. Delicious. 

I don't like peroni at the best of times but the Brewdog is a good beer. 
    http://gluteninbeer.blogspot.co.uk ;

yes, I found the site last year, and another site too. Hence drinking Warsteiner now
    Remember that some stuff is brewed under licence, and those guys are usually testing stuff on sale in the US

I've now bought 2 sets of 5 test kits to do my own tests,
    I am only testing stuff that is made at a single brewery though, since ingredients and process will vary otherwise
    Deuchars IPA is fine
    And Taylor's Landlord- testing on myself tonight

bear in mind:
    (A) brewing often breaks up the different glutens anyway
    (B) many brewers (especially cheap lagers) user Brewer's Clarex (or similar), which has a protease to get the beer to clear in half the time to make more profit, but has the side effect of destroying all the gluten - so probably many cheap lagers are fine

http://gluteninbeer.blogspot.co.uk ;

That's awesome! 

They list Corona Extra as under 10ppm, which literally doubles my options for beers I can both obtain and drink out here in the desert. This makes me very happy :D 
    beware  of beers brewed elsewhere under licence - see my other post
    many Belgian beers are fine too. Warsteiner is the easiest to buy internationally, I've drunk it in the UK, US and Spain without incident, by the case