Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Quitting the UK

What's Hot

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3068
    capo4th said:
     too much immigration legal and illegal clogging up the NHS 

There is an irony somewhere here.... I'll leave it to others who are better at arguing than me, though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72639
    edited December 2016
    quarky said:

Interestingly, I wonder if Japan copes better because it doesn't have such a huge continual.population growth to place strain on Infrastructure and services? Nah, can't be.
    They have almost exactly twice the population we do (127 million vs 64 million), and a far higher population density (336 vs 263 per km2).

(Source: http://statisticstimes.com/population/countries-by-population-density.php )

So why does population have anything to do with it other than an excuse to blame immigration for all the UK's problems?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28698
    TTony said:
    If you're predisposed to being happy, you'll find happiness anywhere.

That's what I was going for, but better put.

There have been quite a few places I've visited that I reckon I could live in quite happily, but none enough to move. The UK's pretty cool overall. Eventually I plan to retire to Devon. Devon's ace.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8013
    I wouldn't go to Japan if you paid me   Not since four reactors blew their loads all over the country.  
    Obviously,  the whole country wasn't effected by the Fukushima disaster, but it's not good.  They're now suffering with an epidemic of childhood thyroid cancer.  
  • p90fool said:
    Everywhere is lovely when you're just visiting, but having lived in half a dozen different countries they have all had their issues when you scratch the surface.

I judge countries by whether you can have a decent life there if you're relatively poor - you can live anywhere if you're prosperous.
    Not such a fool, are you P90? This. 
  • capo4th said:
    I am happy with where I live. The rest of the country is fucked due to too much immigration legal and illegal clogging up the systems, schools, NHS and infrastructure for everyone else.

Too many people on the take and not putting anything back in the pot!

Have a great weekend I am going shopping! 

Lets not forget about our own population shagging like rabbits and our excellent health care ensuring a high birth rate. 

I do wonder at the merits of limiting children. Yes, I don't support it.... But I've worked with people (actually, quite a few) who have had child 4,5 and in one case 7. None of them worked - mother or father (if he was still around). 

But yeah,  it's ALL immigrants... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

But yeah,  it's ALL immigrants... 
    Let's blame the net contributors!

Next we'll go for those awful middle class professionals. What do they do for the country apart from sip Chablis and eat quiche?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • capo4th said:
    I am happy with where I live. The rest of the country is fucked due to too much immigration legal and illegal clogging up the systems, schools, NHS and infrastructure for everyone else.

Too many people on the take and not putting anything back in the pot!

Have a great weekend I am going shopping! 

Oh man, here we go.
    I would suggest to look up stats regarding who is actually claiming the most benefits being jobless at the same time.
    Clogging schools...jeez
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33845
    I could be in any country I like (well, most of them) but I choose the UK, at least for now.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Stevepage said:
    I used to work a job where 95 hour weeks wasn't unusual. Trust me, feeling constantly exhausted and sick with no social life or family life fucking sucks. 
    sounds like my current job!
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28341
    I like it here. Great culture and history, beautiful countryside.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16782

I do wonder at the merits of limiting children. Yes, I don't support it.... But I've worked with people (actually, quite a few) who have had child 4,5 and in one case 7. None of them worked - mother or father (if he was still around). 

I struggle to be fully against the idea of population control, even though i know ethically speaking, its very dodgy ground.

I struggled with the concept of having two children.  In the end i justified it to myself as maintaining a stable population  - two adults having two children(ignoring the ageing population problem).  I am now on a waiting list for the snip.  I know most of my social group are making similar decisions and stopping at two. 

I do think the government should encourage less children without actually going down the route of full population control - cant thing of a way to do it without limiting benefits, and obviously that's a difficult call if it means children raised in absolute poverty
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jez6345789Jez6345789 Frets: 1801
    edited December 2016
    Japan is fascinating as a place to spend time but not sure I would want to live and work as a local. 

Southern California climate and lifestyle appeal and have a few good friends there who think I would love it they do but then they are Californians
  • markblackmarkblack Frets: 1591
    I lived in Dublin when the Celtic Tiger was roaring. It was great.

But I didn't want to have a family, buy a house, have a commute, got paid well (probably too well).

But when that burst it was grim. And I left.

It's still not fully recovered, it's better but it's got it's own problems. I now live in London so I am in the 'London Bubble' but I have to say it's better over here.

Now Belfast if you could find a job you like would be a great option... for qulaity of life I could live their, I just couldn't find a job that would A: pay enough, and B: make me want to get out of bed in the morning.

• sweepysweepy Frets: 4202
    Very happy living in Oxfordshire, especially with my Wife's poor health and close proximity to the John Radcliffe and Churchill Hospitals . If we lived in the US, we would be homeless, so I'm a happy camper at the moment 
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    edited December 2016
    ICBM said:
    quarky said:

Interestingly, I wonder if Japan copes better because it doesn't have such a huge continual.population growth to place strain on Infrastructure and services? Nah, can't be.
    They have almost exactly twice the population we do (127 million vs 64 million), and a far higher population density (336 vs 263 per km2).

(Source: http://statisticstimes.com/population/countries-by-population-density.php )

So why does population have anything to do with it other than an excuse to blame immigration for all the UK's problems?

When you have a static (or even shrinking) population, it is (I would argue) easier to deal with from an infrastructure point of view, than when you are constantly having to increase capacity, just to stand still. And it doesn't have to be immigration, their birth rates have been falling (I think). Nice try at a strawman though ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:

Next we'll go for those awful middle class professionals. What do they do for the country apart from sip Chablis and eat quiche?
    They buy Klon clones and keep Bonamassa's coffers full. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Sporky said:

They buy Klon clones and keep Bonamassa's coffers full. 
    And gawd bless em for it.
  • We have two Japanese engineers at work now and both will never go back. Much better life here. 

I always fancied Australia. A better bet might be a job opportunity I have where I can stay here and go to California 1-2 months of the year. I always fancied Germany/Austria.. though one guy was telling me Austrians aren't the most friendly.
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7491
    edited December 2016
    Actually, nevermind. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom