Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2 channel gigging amp

What's Hot
dariusdarius Frets: 632
Whats good?
Looking to change up to a dual channel head. 
Needs to be:
Valve
30W ish for pub gigs with loud drummer and 2nd guitarist. 
Going into a lovely Mesa 1x12. 
Super reliable. 
Cleans not vital.
I use the amp for distortion ( not pedals). 
2nd channel to give me boosted creamy solos and general showing off. 
A decent effects loop that doesn't suck the life out of everything. 

Ive been looking around and have a few on the list to try. Not found an ideal one yet. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17673
    tFB Trader
    Jca50h 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26784
    edited December 2016
    Jca50h 
    For clarity, this ^^ means a Jet City JCA50H. Personally, I reckon you should also try a JCA22H (the 20W version with a more sensible effects loop).

These amps have a dirty channel and an even dirtier channel; the JCA22H also has a bit more gain available, and a slightly different voicing on the crunch channel. I've used both for years...I currently have a Victory Kraken, but frankly I'd never feel put-out if I had to use one of the Jet City amps at a gig instead.

Point is, they're not just excellent amps for the money - they're excellent amps full-stop.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I actually marginally prefer the 22 but I was thinking of the 30 watt limitation.

Tbh it is bloody loud.
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Express 5:25 or Mark Five: 25.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    Yeah, when i say 30W i mean the loudness of 30W valve. Ive heard 20W amps louder than my 30W. 
    I know abs nothing about Jet City, whats the short version?

• Jca50h 
    +1
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Bucket said:
    Express 5:25 or Mark Five: 25.
    ^ ^ This.  They're quite different though, I prefer the cleans on the Express, but it's down to personal choice between the two.
  • If you decide you'd rather a cleaner clean channel, you could look for an orange rocker 30 head or combo. 

British built, excellent sounding, 30 watt, 2xel34, lots of headroom for its rating and generally one of the best sounding general rock amps I've heard. 

One con, however - no effects loop. 

Other than that, jet city custom 22 offers a higher gain lead channel than the other jet city kit and a cleaner cleaner channel, with a pedal friendly effects loop if you need it. 
  • darius said:
    Yeah, when i say 30W i mean the loudness of 30W valve. Ive heard 20W amps louder than my 30W. 

Probably best to just watch...

<space for hire>
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    darius said:

Although they're now starting to move away from it a bit*, basically they're a licenced Soldano with 90% of the quality and tone for 10% of the price.

*Particularly in useful ways like having an FX loop that actually works properly :).

The JCA22 is probably loud enough if you don't need a clean sound.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BeexterBeexter Frets: 617
    edited December 2016
    Another vote for the Mesa Express 5:25+
    Very, very flexible amp. It's worth downloading the manual to see what it can do - It has 2 footswitchable channels,  each with 2 different voicings, plus the choice of 3 footswitchable EQ presets for each channel and footswitchable boost and 3 power settings. 
    Orange Rocker 30 is a good shout for something more simple but doesn't have an effects loop. 
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1269
    +1 for the Express 5:25

That's said I have the original model and I'm not totally convinced that the newer "+" model with all its extra bells and whistles is necessarily an improvement. It seems to have turned what was a very straightforward, no fuss, easy to use, plug in and go amp into something much more complicated, almost like a Mark Series Boogie for poor people. If you don't need all that stuff it might be worth looking out but for a decent original as on the basis of mine they're pretty much bullet proof and even the cosmetics last pretty well...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    So quite the extremes in budgets so far. £300 or £1600.
    Anything in between?
    the JCs sound good on youtube.
    I was looking at the Marshall jubilee mini head (is it 2 channel?) and Victory do a couple of interesting ones...
  • How about a Blackstar Series One? You can pick the 2x12 Combo up for around £400-£500 second hand, or the 50 watt or 100 watt heads for a similar price.

I love mine for gigging, it covers everything I need it to for my Function/Wedding band. It's 2 channels, with 2 modes per channel. Bright Clean, Warm Clean, Crunch and Super Crunch.

• The Traynor YCV20WR is nice (WR = Wine Red, the black one is nice too!). I moved mine on because I needed louder + cleaner (which you don't get from 2 x EL84s) but it sounded great.
  • Buy @digitalscream s Kraken then he can get a JetCity again and have money left over for sweets. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72673
    The Traynor YCV20WR is nice (WR = Wine Red, the black one is nice too!). I moved mine on because I needed louder + cleaner (which you don't get from 2 x EL84s) but it sounded great.
    I miss the sound of mine too, but I sold it because it had too many issues. No way loud enough to use unmic'ed with a drummer either.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• I had a JCA50 I thought it was rubbish! Lol!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I had a JCA50 I thought it was rubbish! Lol!
    It's a Soldano type amp so if you don't like the tighter, fizzier American type gain it probably won't be for you.
  • If you want something with lovely cleans and a nice, if slightly boring sounding, rock crunch, the Laney lh50 is a nice, mid size head that's very affordable second hand. They're probably not built as well as the jet city kit though. 

They have a sort of Marshall sound - slightly clearer cleans (definitely the best bit of the amp) that can do a nice crunch and a solid sounding drive channel that's just a bit boring sounding.