Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2 channel gigging amp

What's Hot

Comments

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31673
    I had a JCA50 I thought it was rubbish! Lol!
    I modded my 100 to bypass the treble pass caps on the gain controls, total transformation. 

I put mine on a switch so I could still use them, but you can just slide the chassis out of its shell and snip them. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited December 2016
    ICBM said:
    darius said:

I know abs nothing about Jet City, whats the short version?
    Although they're now starting to move away from it a bit*, basically they're a licenced Soldano with 90% of the quality and tone for 10% of the price.

*Particularly in useful ways like having an FX loop that actually works properly .

The JCA22 is probably loud enough if you don't need a clean sound.

I used my Custom 22 for the at a rehearsal for the first time on Sunday and can say it's loud enough for a live situation bearing in mind though that I play in a 3 piece rock/metal band and not a twin guitar band. That said there was still spare on tap. I was also use quite  efficient speakers in my 2x12 so that helps a lot.

I'd also add that I wasn't using the amps clean channel as I use my Boss GT-100 for clean duties (which doesn't break up) as it does it far better than the Custom 22

As ICBM implies, the clean channel does break up a bit, but then again it's much much better at trying to be a JCM800 than trying to do cleans.

The effects loop is in the right place on the Custom 22 thankfully.

The short version is they're great amps if your looking for the hot rodded British  sound. Oh I forgot, it's shared eq amp.

Here's a youtube clip of the standard JCA22 amp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GbfLsUmXprY

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17673
    tFB Trader
    longi said:
    ICBM said:
    darius said:

Although they're now starting to move away from it a bit*, basically they're a licenced Soldano with 90% of the quality and tone for 10% of the price.

*Particularly in useful ways like having an FX loop that actually works properly .

I used my Custom 22 for the at a rehearsal for the first time on Sunday and can say it's loud enough for a live situation bearing in mind though that I play in a 3 piece rock/metal band and not a twin guitar band. That said there was still spare on tap. I was also use quite  efficient speakers in my 2x12 so that helps a lot.

I'd also add that I wasn't using the amps clean channel as I use my Boss GT-100 for clean duties (which doesn't break up) as it does it far better than the Custom 22

As ICBM implies, the clean channel does break up a bit, but then again it's much much better at trying to be a JCM800 than trying to do cleans.

The short version is they're great amps if your looking for the hot rodded British  sound. Oh I forgot, it's shared eq amp.

I have been lead to believe that the Custom 22 has a proper clean channel.

Is that not the case?
  • Wildcard ( as they say on daytime housing shows) - Yamaha THR100h. Ticks all the boxes except valve but the billy bonus is being lightweight. If you end up with shared back line gigs you can plug it into any cabinet and it has a speaker emulated line out for that last minute support slot at the O2. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    edited December 2016
    longi said:
    ICBM said:
    darius said:

I have been lead to believe that the Custom 22 has a proper clean channel.

Is that not the case?

It does do cleans in a bit better than Marshall way yes which are perfectly usable. If your using single coils and not too high output humbuckers you'll be just fine and never have a problem. As I say, I just prefer my GT-100 for clean duties because the clean channel sounds excellent when it's overdriven.

I don't know how loud this guy is playing but this is what it sounds like clean albeit slightly broken up as he still has some gain added. Don't forget that it's a shared eq as well which is another reason why I use the GT-100 for cleans.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEqsrBrzXiY

I think the best way to think of the Custom 22 is a high(ish) gain amp with a JCM800 2203 for a clean channel which is about the closest approximation I can think of.
    tFB Trader
    I think that's @p90fool of this parish. 
    Yes that's me. I was actually playing very quietly, just enough to cover the sound of the strings, with the gain on about 5 or 6. 

If you put the clean channel master on full and use the gain as a volume control it's actually a very Fendery clean, especially with the bright switch on. It gets pretty loud before it starts to break up too. 
  • Sounds to me like the perfect excuse to have 2 amps!
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2912
    Probably a bit much wattage wise but a Laney VH100R might do it for you? I have a GH50L which is pretty similar afaik (vh just has a 2nd channel) and has a great fx loop. Couldn't give mine away at £270 so I've decided to keep it, I bet you could find a bargain on a VH. The master works well, got an awesome tone at bedroom level last night. Tone wise the Laney sound is similar to marshall just not quite there. There's also the Ironheart which might be more suitable? Reviews seem to reckon it's more than just a metal amp as it has been marketed.
    p90fool said:
    Yes that's me. I was actually playing very quietly, just enough to cover the sound of the strings, with the gain on about 5 or 6. 

If you put the clean channel master on full and use the gain as a volume control it's actually a very Fendery clean, especially with the bright switch on. It gets pretty loud before it starts to break up too. 

Some nice playing there! You get some nice sounds out of the clean channel. Interesting that you get some Fendery sounds from it, I'll have try that out.
    Was that your video with the Engl cab? Nice playing, that's the reason I bought one and snipped out capacitor c6! 
    No that's a fellow from across the pond he's pretty good isn't he? My playing is somewhat more aggressive you might say and more um psychedelic.
  • longi said:
    My playing is somewhat more aggressive you might say and more um psychedelic.

No offence, but that sounds like a euphemism for 'a bit crap'. 
    Lol, i suppose it does, what it really means is I use a lot of middle eastern and Indian influences that I discovered listening to 90's dance music and film soundtracks then apply it to rock/metal. But yeah, I might still be a bit Crap!;-) 

• i had a Jet City side by side with a JCM800 and it wasn't close, it was night and day in terms of dynamics, bark, power and feel (in favour of the 800)

there's a Mesa Express 5:50 in the classifieds today

tFB Trader
    i had a Jet City side by side with a JCM800 and it wasn't close, it was night and day in terms of dynamics, bark, power and feel (in favour of the 800)

They are completely different amps so it's not really a fair comparison.
  • i had a Jet City side by side with a JCM800 and it wasn't close, it was night and day in terms of dynamics, bark, power and feel (in favour of the 800)

It's all in how you use it. Since I bought my first Jet City amp, I've had a Soldano, a Victory Kraken, Framus Cobra, a Laney, a rack rig (ADA MP-1 + Marshall 20/20)...all of them have been sold because none of them matched up to the Jet City in terms of what I want - either in sound or feel.
    <space for hire>
  • i do seem to be in the minority - maybe i got a duff one

• timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    The Jet City amps are good, i've heard some killer tones from them, they aren't world beaters but they're very good amps, regardless of price.

tFB Trader
    I think the Soldano sound is a bit Marmite

If that's what you like they are awesome if not then you are always going to prefer Marshall, Mesa, Vox or whatever your thing is.