Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Beards - what do I need to know?

What's Hot
horsehorse Frets: 1568
Thinking of dipping a toe in beard growth. Any tips or advice?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Don't shave
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Also avoid lumberjack shirts and poetry.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BGGBGG Frets: 689
    Don't trim or shape for at least a month, just grow it out.
    Keep it in good condition by washing with water twice a day, a beard shampoo once a week, maybe beard conditioner ? But deffo beard oil once you have some growth and beard balm for shape.

Best advice is BE PATIENT !!! I did mine for six months, loved it then got bored and it came off LOL
    #thebatesmotelband
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Mine grows ridiculously quickly. I have absolutely no idea how to groom/manage it though so I always have to hack it off.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Once said beard is fully grown, you will develop a penchant for fixie bikes, trousers that end too early and craft beer.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Dont stick your toe in people's faces. Especially if they are starting to grow a beard 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • goldtopgoldtop Frets: 6158
    Beware that your beard may grow a different colour to your hair!

My hair was your usual mousey brown (er... back when I had enough), but my beard attempts were ruined by it being distinctly gingery. It looked like I was a ginger chap dying my hair mousey brown.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50 said:
    Once said beard is fully grown, you will develop a penchant for fixie bikes, trousers that end too early and craft beer.
    Not forgetting full sleeve tattoos.  ;)

Or depending on your age: Real Ale, Wooly jumpers and folk music.

I have a beard mainly because I'm too lazy to shave often enough to look clean shaven- I go from clean shaven to full beard in about a week.
    My only advice would be to push on through the itchy stage, it can be annoying and you may get a few ingrowing hairs etc. This all fades when you achieve the pinnacle of manliness that is a full beard.

I confess that I DO sometimes miss the lovely clean feeling you get after a good hot shave, but not enough to go back to shaving.
  • Good luck
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2430
    CHRISB50 said:
    Not forgetting full sleeve tattoos.  ;)

Or depending on your age: Real Ale, Wooly jumpers and folk music.
    Brylcreemed hair and horn-rimmed glasses also obligatory....
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader
    BGG said:
    Keep it in good condition by washing with water twice a day, a beard shampoo once a week, maybe beard conditioner ? But deffo beard oil once you have some growth and beard balm for shape.

Best advice is BE PATIENT !!! I did mine for six months, loved it then got bored and it came off LOL

I've had a beard for about the last 6 years and I can honestly say I have no idea what beard shampoo or beard oil are. 

Just don't shave. 

My only advice would be tidy up around your neck and cheeks where it starts to whisp out so you get a stronger line. 

Initially it will be itchy, but that passes after a few weeks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • When you do shape it don't shave up to your jaw bone otherwise you'll look like a tool.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994

Regular barbers will not listen to a word you say, and steal 4 inches off your beard and shape it into previously mentioned jaw bone hipster wanker beard.

never trust a barber who doesn't themselves have a magnificent beard.

speaking from experience. yes I'm still bitter.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    BGG said:

I've had a beard for about the last 6 years and I can honestly say I have no idea what beard shampoo or beard oil are. 

Just don't shave. 

My only advice would be tidy up around your neck and cheeks where it starts to whisp out so you get a stronger line. 

Initially it will be itchy, but that passes after a few weeks.
    That's reassuring - I wasn't planning on washing it more often than (what's left of) my hair.

I think it will be a mix of ginger-brown and grey-white based on stubble growth
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    edited December 2016
    horse said:
    Thinking of dipping a toe in beard growth. Any tips or advice?
    Don't. It's passé.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If you keep it short then you probably don't need the oil,etc. Mine is long enough now that I need the oil to stop it being knotted and feeling like scratchy pubes. Barbers seem to recommend argan oil which is made for heat damaged hair, there maybe some knocking around the house if anyone in the horse household has heated curlers,etc. 
    You should tidy it up , or get someone else to. A decent beard trimmer helps but going to a decent barber is better. 
    Keep tissues in your pocket as the longer your beard grows the more it acts as a trap for milk, toothpaste, ketchup, etc. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I recently started to use beard shampoo, conditioner and oil, just because my skin underneath flakes and itches. Also the oil tends to darken the ginger bits
    My V key is broken
  • Buy a penny farthing and listen only to vinyl....
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921

I've not had a wet shave since 2006. So although people think I have a beard because I'm a hipster, I actually have one because I'm lazy and don't like shaving.

I trim with normal head clippers. 4 on front, 2 underneath and for the tache, Never use oils combs or shit like that. I shampoo it with anti dandruff to avoid sprinkles in my coffee.

• AdjiAdji Frets: 142
    tFB Trader
    sgosden said:

Regular barbers will not listen to a word you say, and steal 4 inches off your beard and shape it into previously mentioned jaw bone hipster wanker beard.

never trust a barber who doesn't themselves have a magnificent beard.

speaking from experience. yes I'm still bitter.

Definitely this!