Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Beards - what do I need to know?

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22945
    Sambostar said:
    goldtop said:
    Beware that your beard may grow a different colour to your hair!

My hair was your usual mousey brown (er... back when I had enough), but my beard attempts were ruined by it being distinctly gingery. It looked like I was a ginger chap dying my hair mousey brown.
    How bizarre. I actually have ginger hair, although these days it's almost blonde and faded but my beard has always been blonde/mousey as are my pubes which are of a similar texture. Does make me smile though when people discover they are actually mischling gingers as their beards grow out. Ha ha.
    My hair is mousy blond but my beard - such as it is - is mostly brown with an increasing amount of grey, although there's no grey at all on my head.  I even have some beard hairs which are absolutely jet black, which I find very odd.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    horse said:
    Funnily enough I already use baby shampoo on my head to stop the bald patch flaking
    You didn't mention that you had a bald spot. In which case, a beard's mandatory.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Brize said:
    horse said:
    Funnily enough I already use baby shampoo on my head to stop the bald patch flaking
    You didn't mention that you had a bald spot. In which case, a beard's mandatory.
    Bald 'spot' might be an understatement. I should be able to be a proper 'upside-down head'.

Thanks for all the input guys. I shall be bearding it up over the next few weeks
  • horse said:
     I should be able to be a proper 'upside-down head'.
    And let's be honest - given the choice - who wouldn't want to look like Michael Eavis?
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24350
    Image result for beard competition birdcage

Keep shaving.  If you ignore my advice, you'll end up looking like this twat.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    BGG said:
    Don't trim or shape for at least a month, just grow it out.
    Keep it in good condition by washing with water twice a day, a beard shampoo once a week, maybe beard conditioner ? But deffo beard oil once you have some growth and beard balm for shape.

Best advice is BE PATIENT !!! I did mine for six months, loved it then got bored and it came off LOL

I've had a beard for about the last 6 years and I can honestly say I have no idea what beard shampoo or beard oil are. 

Just don't shave. 

My only advice would be tidy up around your neck and cheeks where it starts to whisp out so you get a stronger line. 

Initially it will be itchy, but that passes after a few weeks.
    Yup - had a beard of some sort for 20+ years. Let it grow out since 2010 and it reached "terminal length" after about 3 years. Kind of a mid length Dusty Hill sort of thing.

Don't try and carve a line too early - give it a month or so before trimming.

Never used any specific beard products - it gets washed when my face gets washed! I'll use some regular shampoo every so often but nothing else.
    It gets plaited for the gym but the rest of the time it's au natural.

• frank1985frank1985 Frets: 523
    edited December 2016
    I'm slightly envious of anybody who looks good with a beard as when I try to grow one I end up looking like a mugshot of a serial rapist. 
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    I look more like a rapist without one
    My V key is broken
  • BodBod Frets: 1315
    I've been letting mine grow for the last month or so.  There's a lot of grey in there, and I've been told I look a bit like a young Harold Shipman.  I'm looking forward to my next trip to Bournemouth.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6265
    WezV said:
    Snap said:
    Beard oil and beard shampoo. FFS talk about marketing crap. Funnily enough, soap and bog standard moisturiser work just fine.

If your beard is about a foot long,m yeah, maybe it needs a bit of attention, but jesus mary and joseph....beard shampoo!!!

It will itch like feck once it gets ot a certian lenght, but that does pass after a few days, and do use moisturiser on it as the skin under a beard gets dry, and it helps with the itch.

last tip - if its grey, don't dye it, that really does look ridiculous.
    Beard oil really helps with the itching. ;)

I make my own in true hipster fashion, but actually because I realised it was much cheaper to buy the ingredients for 100 bottles than it was to buy one or two ready made bottles.  My current favourite is cedar and lemon oil.... luthier scented beard oil ;)

i completely shave have at least twice a year, then just leave it to go wild.  
    mate, whatever works eh? I do think beard shampoo is a joke though. If you have sensitive skin, I am sure baby shampoo will be just fine, and tbh why would you need to use shampoo if your beard is a reasonably short length? Surely you only need shampoo for one that is dead long?

but no, those bids in GQ/Esquire/Hipster Weekly have told ou that ou need to buy Mr Big Beardy's organic beard oil complete with the essence of ambrosia and poncia to condition and "nourish" your beard. And it's all yours sir for a mere tenner a bottle.

Complete BS.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    I wonder what those poor migrant Children do for beard care on their long march across Europe...?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    I used to go through phases with beards, usually after a month or so I'd shave it off because of the itching but this time I've had this one over 5 years now, I think it's a keeper. =)
  • As soon as I lose enough weight of my fat face that I don't look like the blow-up autopilot from the film Airplane without a beard, I shall be shaving this thing right off.

Looks like I am stuck with a beard for another 5 or more years....

• 'Beards - what do I need to know?'

They are a hideous abomination and the work of the devil. People who have beards are shifty and have something to hide. They cannot be trusted.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 'Beards - what do I need to know?'

They are a hideous abomination and the work of the devil. People who have beards are shifty and have something to hide. They cannot be trusted.
    Yes OK so Jesus had a beard but that changes nothing in my mind

• Just been to the barbers, Kings at the Hollybush for the benefit of @RocknRollDave  as he's in this Discussion, and it took about three times as long to trim my beard than cut my hair which was rather satisfying. I do have a bit of a Muslim cleric thing going on now though...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Still be to confirmed if he's one of the good guys...

'Beards - what do I need to know?'

Yes OK so Jesus had a beard but that changes nothing in my mind
    ... sorry, this not another Walking Dead Discussion? 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22945
    Bod said:
    I've been letting mine grow for the last month or so.  There's a lot of grey in there, and I've been told I look a bit like a young Harold Shipman.  I'm looking forward to my next trip to Bournemouth.
    Oh well, could be worse, at least they said a young Harold Shipman.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom