2017 Injury club.

What's Hot

Comments

• Had a few weeks out feeling under the weather but clocked up 20 km this week, building up distance at my target race pace for the Bristol 10km. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    4.2 miles last night coaching with running group. Nice chilled off road run in the dark!
    Deadman said:
    Wise.

I didn't really think it was possible to overdo it but I was wrong. I actually think the introduction of rest days could be a more positive move than running faster and longer for 6 days a week.
    Recovery is key to improving running. Running is the stimulus and rest/recovery is where you get the improvements and adaptions.  Most runners I coach don't have a problem running/training but do with allowing enough recovery time.

One approach is to mix up you running types. So you could do a fast 10k followed next run with a easy pace 5k then a steady 5k etc. Generally there are 3 variables to play with - Frequency, Intensity and Time. Only alter one of those at a time and balance with easier runs. If you have a heart rate monitor keep easy runs in zone 2 (under approx 150bpm).

The easier runs help to build your aerobic base so will allow you to hold your faster paces for longer. They also reduce the cumulative fatigue from running.

Hope this helps :-)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3909
    Absolutely @mcsdan thanks mate  :)
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    4.5-5 miles even more offroad than normal. It's a bit muddy and wet yet though, especially for quite smooth FiveFingers. I was hanging on to a fence walking down a steep muddy bank into the Severn valley. Studs would have coped OK, I'd need something to cope with tarmac as well though as it's a "mixed terrain" run.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Took it nice and easy with a 5k tonight.

323km + 5km = 328km
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    edited March 2017
    Mar 23rd: 379km +5km = 384km.
    10 miler off road tonight. Felt great. :-)

302miles/486km
    Some massive distances being covered now lads, well done.

I've consistently been losing 1 pound per week for the last month since I hit 13 stones. It seemed slow but I know that's healthy loss.

So this week I've took it easy. Weight loss for the week? 3lbs. Try and figure that one out.
    I'm down to 12st 5lbs from my starting weight of 14st 7lbs on Jan 4th. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    4.3 mile pre work easy pace run. Nice start to Friday!
    @Deadman excellent progress on the weight loss :)
    I wow'ed the weight loss, excellent work. I've gone from 12st 7 to 12st-ish, but I have yet to make good on my intention to stop drinking quite so much so can't really expect miracles. I think as I settle in to a 20-25 mile week and then increase the miles, I should see some more progress regardless. I hovered around 11st 4 when I was running regularly a few years ago, and 11st when I switched to cycling and cycle commuting, so I would love to get back down there.
    Cheers lads. Fish 6 days a week, salad, cous cous and fruit are my staples. I limit drink to Saturday nights as I do chocolate and fatty food. It's working anyway.
    Feb 24th: 384km +5km = 389km.
    edited March 2017
    I bit off a bit more than I could chew yesterday. I decided to jog to the furthest Parkrun the long way, 5 and a bit miles each way. I jogged the Parkrun itself, but had to walk some of the way back. I've also managed to give myself a painful achilles / heel so I'm probably off running for 2 or 3 days. Doh. So all in all about 12 miles done yesterday.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17630
    tFB Trader
    5k time down to 28:27

Awesome considering it was over 32 a few weeks ago
  • AustrianJohnAustrianJohn Frets: 1682
    The Austrian snow is now receding so I had my first outdoor run of the year a couple of days ago. Training for a half marathon later in the year, so quite pleased with 11k in 1 hour 13 mins. Minor pain in left knee which I expect is IT band syndrome (a common complaint for me), which is sorted by using "The Stick".
    328km + 10km = 338km
    5k time down to 28:27

Awesome considering it was over 32 a few weeks ago
    That is excellent work.
    Well done.
    35.1 mile run today (56km). Felt really good and could have carried on. Glad to be back running and training for my next race end of April.

341miles/548km to date.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom