Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Am I the only person who loves sci-fi but hates Star Wars?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
Enjoyed the original film, but haven't liked any of them since. Not seen any all the way through mind you. Got bored quickly with the 2nd and 3rd films (apart from Princess Leia in skimpy outfit!). Saw bits of the three that came after. All looked totally Meh. Latest two look 'OK' from what I've seen but to be honest I'm just not into the whole world/vibe that has been created. I never liked the idea of going back and filming prequels, they just looked so much more polished than the originals and didn't sit together.

Maybe one day I'll force myself to sit through them all and form a proper opinion, but even that isn't straightforward with George Lucas's cackhanded storytelling. There seems to be so many differing opinions on the best order to view them. Not sure if I can sit through Jar jar binks and Ewoks mind you.

But yeah, other than Star Wars I absolutely love Sci Fi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28382
    A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back are both good.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    I've always seen Star Wars as fantasy not sci-fi.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    That's fair.

At the risk of no-true-scotsmanning myself, I've always seen sci-fi as needing to have actual (or made up) science be pivotal to the story, rather than just having spaceships. So Greg Egan is sci-fi, but Star Trek/Wars less so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • There are lots of films that are described as sci-fi but are basically action fantasy in space. Guardians of the galaxy for example. It's just a setting. I would sort of agree with @Sporky in that some sort of science needs to be pivotal to the story. Interstellar is a good example. They took liberties with time dilation and higher dimensionality but fundamentally the science drives the narrative.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6393
    Found them a bit made for children tbh.  <heresy> They are ok </heresy> New ones are better IMHO
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • They're alright but I agree they're not the best. Star Trek is far better, to me. As is Firefly. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    Star Wars isn't Sci Fi it's Space Opera.
    The definition of Sci-Fi is that if you removed the "Sci" bit then it couldn't be the same film so to pluck an example out of the air "The Matrix" is Sci Fi, but Star Wars could easily be a western or a sword and sorcery film with minimal plot changes.

Personally I think the origional trilogy are brilliant (Return of the Jedi less so than the others), the second trilogy are utter shit and I'd recommend people not bother watching them if they haven't already.
    Of the two new ones The Force Awakens is an entertaining film, but almost a Star Wars remake, while Rogue One is a really great film, but quite different from the others (no Jedi, much darker in tone). 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24369
    Star Wars is a Western.

If the prequels have to be watched then the Machete Order should be used, particularly if the viewer hasn't seen them before. That way the Vader reveal doesn't get ruined and the Phantom Menace can be left out completely.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Can't say I hate Star Wars.... as I've never gotten around to seeing it.
  • 1st two films before they messed about with them and added the CGI nonsense are great films. Everything else I can definitely understand the dislike. A lot of it is nostalgia for me though too, being a kid when the original films came out and having the toys was a big part of it.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    A lot of folk think that space film = Sci-Fi which isn't always the case. 
  • Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    edited January 2017
    Jalapeno said:
    Found them a bit made for children tbh.  <heresy> They are ok </heresy> New ones are better IMHO
    That's an important point that a lot of "I hate the new starwars" haters miss. They WERE made for children. They've all got a U rating for a reason. The prequels were never going to be as loved as the originals as we saw them thru the eyes of jaded 30 something's, not the wide eyed 10yo's that saw the originals.

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

I don't believe in the machete order. You can't miss out The Phantom Menace. My 7yo loves it so it's the one we watch most often, make yourself watch it again, its better than you  remember. 

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    tFB Trader
    I don't believe in the machete order. You can't miss out The Phantom Menace. My 7yo loves it so it's the one we watch most often, make yourself watch it again, its better than you  remember. 
    Disagree 

We tried to sit and watch all the films in order before the new one came out and had to turn it off. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    I think Revenge of the Sith is still good, and it's only one of the prequel trilogy that really needed to happen, in cannon terms.

But I did rewatch them recently, and I was shocked at how wooden Ewan McGregor is in those films.
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    The best thing about the prequel trilogy remains Duel of the Fates though.
  • Loved it as a kid, can't bear to watch it now. 
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    Disagree 

We tried to sit and watch all the films in order before the new one came out and had to turn it off. 
    Pod Racing?
    Darth Maul? (Way cooler than Vader)

I'll give you jaja though 

Pod Racing?
    Darth Maul? (Way cooler than Vader)

I'll give you jaja though 
    And let's not forget the excitement of interplanetary trade agreements!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom