Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Am I the only person who loves sci-fi but hates Star Wars?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Agree with @axisus .Sci Fi movies for me include films such as Alien, Sunshine, The Martian, Moon, Ex Machina

Star Wars is fun, but it's more LoTR fantasy/mythology than SF
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    decided to rewatch revenge of the sith after the most recent rebels double bill.

the cgi is so bad it's hardly watchable on a HDTV. 

Anyway, I like sci fi and I like fantasy, so it's a pretty perfect middle ground for me.  

A lot of sci fi relies on "what if" scenarios more than it does scientific accuracy.

next you will be trying to tell me Asimov isn't sci fi.
  • Sporky said:
    Given sci-fi was extensively shaped by early pulp work I think some people are trying to retcon the definition. Usually these people want to differentiate between hard sci fi and other sub genres.
    I don't think it's unreasonable to want some science in sci-fi. Though I'll concede that my previous mention of Greg Egan is definitely at the hard end of the spectrum.
    In the 50's 3 syllable words counted as science....or witchcraft probably
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • mixolydmixolyd Frets: 826
    edited January 2017
    For me the novelist and screenwriter Michael Marshall Smith got to the heart of what makes sci fi in the foreword to a novel I read years ago.

He was talking about what made the novels of Philip K Dick so special and the most adapted modern novelist by Hollywood: ideas.  He explained that in an action film you need an explosive piece of action in x minutes to make the genre work, PKD did the same thing but he gave us ideas instead of explosions.  Every few pages there would be another cracking idea or perspective-flipping twist.  This is what makes his work so incredibly attractive to the big studios and his novels so stunningly readable.

So sci fi isn't necessarily about science: it's about ideas, and new ones at that.  Star Wars had a few nice ideas in its world building but they were mostly just transplants from Kurosawa and Campbell.  In the course of the story Star Wars movies rely on explosions and melodrama just like any other modern action film so at heart it's an action film in a fantasy setting - anyone watching Star Wars for intellectual stimulation is going to find it very dull.

As for movies that rely on ideas I'd suggest Primer, anything by Nolan except Batman, a lot of Miyazaki (and anime in general) and of course the many adaptions and unacknowledged rip offs of PKD.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17636
    edited January 2017 tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    decided to rewatch revenge of the sith after the most recent rebels double bill.

Anyway, I like sci fi and I like fantasy, so it's a pretty perfect middle ground for me.  

A lot of sci fi relies on "what if" scenarios more than it does scientific accuracy.

Asimov is pretty much the textbook definition of Sci-Fi. He establishes a "what if?" and the stories are about the consequences. I suppose that's why some people prefer to call it"speculative fiction".

It's only "Hard sci-fi" that has any real scientific content and I usually find that deathly dull. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72415
    WezV said:

The strange thing is that the CGI seemed to get worse through the prequels, rather than better. I actually think TPM is the best (or least bad...) of the three, and ROTS the worst, even though it has the most plot relevance to the original trilogy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

It's the plot relevance with the current rebels episodes and rogue one that made me consider a rewatch.
    WezV said:

Azimov is pretty much the textbook definition of Sci-Fi. He establishes a "what if?" and the stories are about the consequences. I suppose that's why some people prefer to call it"speculative fiction".

It's only "Hard sci-fi" that has any real scientific content and I usually find that deathly dull. 
    I agree.  i gre up on trek, outer limits and lots of B-movies.  the what if concept is a lot more important than the science.  I suppose some would argue its a thought experiment, so there is your science.

I recently re-read all of Asimov in chronological order.   takes a while when reading time is limited to an hour a day. He wasn't the best writer, and the science is thin - but the ideas give good stories. I would love an Asimov anthology series rather than another attempt to make an Asimov film.  We might get to the stage where that is possible at some point. 
  • Outer limits was awesome! 

Fyi I prefer force awakens to the latest star wars.
  • Given sci-fi was extensively shaped by early pulp work I think some people are trying to retcon the definition. Usually these people want to differentiate between hard sci fi and other sub genres.

The definition of sci fi containing science is at least 50 years old.

There are virtually no hard sci fi films. The only one that springs to mind is the Martian.
    2001/2010?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • WezV said:
    WezV said:

Azimov is pretty much the textbook definition of Sci-Fi. He establishes a "what if?" and the stories are about the consequences. I suppose that's why some people prefer to call it"speculative fiction".

I agree.  i gre up on trek, outer limits and lots of B-movies.  the what if concept is a lot more important than the science.  I suppose some would argue its a thought experiment, so there is your science.

I recently re-read all of Asimov in chronological order.   takes a while when reading time is limited to an hour a day. He wasn't the best writer, and the science is thin - but the ideas give good stories. I would love an Asimov anthology series rather than another attempt to make an Asimov film.  We might get to the stage where that is possible at some point. 
    I can forgive all his flaws for coming up with psycho-history in 1942!!
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    And then later realising he meant Sociology ;)
  • Fretwired said:
    axisus said:

But yeah, other than Star Wars I absolutely love Sci Fi

Totally agree. Was never convinced by the bear come rug called chewing tobacco or something or those tiny Ewok things - then I found out they were only put in the film for merchandising opportunities so that put me off .. and the fans .. they're worse than Remoaners.

Somewhere in a Brussels negotiation room far far away...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2597
    edited January 2017
    ICBM said:
    I don't really love sci-fi or hate Star Wars, but I do love some sci-fi and generally find Star Wars a bit meh.  Some of the "myth-making" elements I really did like, but the plots are boringly conventional and the prolonged battle sequences insufferably dull.  For a series of films that had the impact it had, I also find the original leads (Hammill/Ford/Fisher) remarkably uncharismatic,
    The most charismatic was the one whose face you never see, and in fact the most important part of his character was another actor's voice…

And I say that from the point of view of a fan - it's just a different type of film from one that need charismatic leads. (And I slightly disagree about Ford, anyway.)

If you think the long battle sequences are dull you really need to see Rogue One, if you still have any interest - it has the best battle in the entire series.

My problem with battle scenes is I pretty much don't like them.  I know it takes flair and skill to do it well, but it'll never be my thing.

I have seen Rogue One.  It has to be ranked among the better ones (not that I've seen them all by any means): it knew what it wanted to do and did it with more vim and focus than some of the others.  But lots of it seemed incredibly second-hand, all the familiar buttons duly pushed (fiesty babe, child whose parents were ruined by persecution and has a date with destiny, comically anthropomophic and/or cute robots, zoomorphic aliens in wild west bar scene, people who turns out to be ace space pilots just when you need one, interminable battle scene etc etc).  I was left with the sense of having seen the same formula given a sleek, shiny makeover,  when I'd have preferred to see a movie that took a few more risks.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”