Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Am I the only person who loves sci-fi but hates Star Wars?

What's Hot

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24376
    I don't believe in the machete order. You can't miss out The Phantom Menace. My 7yo loves it so it's the one we watch most often, make yourself watch it again, its better than you  remember. 
    It's actually worse.

Midi-fucking-chlorians.

No.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    Star Wars isn't Sci Fi it's Space Opera.
    The definition of Sci-Fi is that if you removed the "Sci" bit then it couldn't be the same film so to pluck an example out of the air "The Matrix" is Sci Fi, but Star Wars could easily be a western or a sword and sorcery film with minimal plot changes.

Personally I think the origional trilogy are brilliant (Return of the Jedi less so than the others), the second trilogy are utter shit and I'd recommend people not bother watching them if they haven't already.
    Of the two new ones The Force Awakens is an entertaining film, but almost a Star Wars remake, while Rogue One is a really great film, but quite different from the others (no Jedi, much darker in tone). 
    This, exactly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't really love sci-fi or hate Star Wars, but I do love some sci-fi and generally find Star Wars a bit meh.  Some of the "myth-making" elements I really did like, but the plots are boringly conventional and the prolonged battle sequences insufferably dull.  For a series of films that had the impact it had, I also find the original leads (Hammill/Ford/Fisher) remarkably uncharismatic,
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72418
    I don't really love sci-fi or hate Star Wars, but I do love some sci-fi and generally find Star Wars a bit meh.  Some of the "myth-making" elements I really did like, but the plots are boringly conventional and the prolonged battle sequences insufferably dull.  For a series of films that had the impact it had, I also find the original leads (Hammill/Ford/Fisher) remarkably uncharismatic,
    The most charismatic was the one whose face you never see, and in fact the most important part of his character was another actor's voice…

And I say that from the point of view of a fan - it's just a different type of film from one that need charismatic leads. (And I slightly disagree about Ford, anyway.)

If you think the long battle sequences are dull you really need to see Rogue One, if you still have any interest - it has the best battle in the entire series.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    axisus said:

But yeah, other than Star Wars I absolutely love Sci Fi

Totally agree. Was never convinced by the bear come rug called chewing tobacco or something or those tiny Ewok things - then I found out they were only put in the film for merchandising opportunities so that put me off .. and the fans .. they're worse than Remoaners.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16725
    I don't believe in the machete order. You can't miss out The Phantom Menace. My 7yo loves it so it's the one we watch most often, make yourself watch it again, its better than you  remember. 
    I don't think it rules out TPM, just highlights that it's totally non-essential viewing
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2930
    I appear to be one of the few who found Rogue One to be a bit unfulfilling. Which is sad, because I really enjoyed it apart from the last 20 minutes or so.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Given sci-fi was extensively shaped by early pulp work I think some people are trying to retcon the definition. Usually these people want to differentiate between hard sci fi and other sub genres.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    i am really looking forward to a Rebels double episode tomorrow too.  I always found Clone Wars a bit inconsistent, but Rebels is awesome and just keeps getting better
  • Revenge Of The Sith aside the prequels were meh. Loved the original trilogy though. Although I enjoyed The Force Awakens it felt like a best of at times. Not seen Rogue One yet.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• SporkySporky Frets: 28392
    Given sci-fi was extensively shaped by early pulp work I think some people are trying to retcon the definition. Usually these people want to differentiate between hard sci fi and other sub genres.
    I don't think it's unreasonable to want some science in sci-fi. Though I'll concede that my previous mention of Greg Egan is definitely at the hard end of the spectrum.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22949

I'm not really a big fan of science fiction in particular, but I much prefer genre movies of any kind to realistic, kitchen-sink drama.  Star Wars, though, does nothing for me. 

I was 13 and very much into the original film when it came out in 1977, I bought all the books, comics, soundtrack etc (but never the action figures!).  But a year or two later I started getting into music and that became my obsession, I lost interest in films for a few years.  I think I saw Empire Strikes Back, but only on video, never saw Return of the Jedi.

When the prequels appeared years later, I'd already lost respect for George Lucas after all the stories of his constant tinkering with the original films (new digital effects, Han vs Greedo and all that bollocks).  I avoided the first two, was persuaded to go and see part III and very nearly walked out after 10 minutes, what a pile of shite.

About a year ago I watched most of them on TV, including A New Hope for the first time since '77.  I thought it was terrible, childish, badly acted and very badly directed.  And it looks extremely dated, although many other films from that period have held up quite well.

On the whole, I blame Lucas.  He's a very poor filmmaker (although to be fair he's managed to do pretty well out of it).

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5517
    WezV said:
    i am really looking forward to a Rebels double episode tomorrow too.  I always found Clone Wars a bit inconsistent, but Rebels is awesome and just keeps getting better
    Is Rebels any good? The cartoonyness puts me off but I should probably give it go seeing as my mate is in it.
    Sporky said:
    Given sci-fi was extensively shaped by early pulp work I think some people are trying to retcon the definition. Usually these people want to differentiate between hard sci fi and other sub genres.
    I don't think it's unreasonable to want some science in sci-fi. Though I'll concede that my previous mention of Greg Egan is definitely at the hard end of the spectrum.
    I like a bit of science too.

But I particularly love it when the science is proper bollocks.

"The Core" is one of the best examples of that. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17637
    tFB Trader

The definition of sci fi containing science is at least 50 years old.

There are virtually no hard sci fi films. The only one that springs to mind is the Martian.
    edited January 2017
    DiscoStu said:
    WezV said:
    Is Rebels any good? The cartoonyness puts me off but I should probably give it go seeing as my mate is in it.
    It is a kids programme, but they are kids films.  It's a very good cartoon and I think it is a great example of how Disney are pulling the whole expanded universe together.

it gets much bigger and better storylines in the second series.  The trailer for the second half of the third has me very excited.

• cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Imagine when The Phantom Menace came out and you were a huge Star Wars fanbois and you bought the soundtrack CD just before you went to see the film...................

Qui-Gon's noble end

errrr......spoilers?
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28392

Yes! I liked that they had unobtanium.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:

Yes! I liked that they had unobtanium.
    And Stanley Tucci. He is equally, magnificently unlikely.
  • I really liked the first three, tpm was shite, other than that my experience is limited to the lego cartoons. 

I still don't get why using lego as a cartoon makes any sense. 

Star wars fans are mad on it though. The first three films are great, silly fun.