The Wall

What's Hot

Comments

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1384
    Money was a single and that's 4 mins edit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10429
    Well it's my all time favorite album, a masterpiece in my opinion. It's not a light hearted listen though, it demands the kind of attention that people don't really want to give to music these days. It's best appreciated lying on the floor slightly anesthetized in the dark played on a great stereo ....( pref on vinyl ..... the drums are better on vinyl )

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10429
    Chuffola said:
    Gassage said:

Agreed.

Their shortest ever single was 7.55mins long.
    Really? Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2 was around 4 mins surely?  Or did I miss something...
    And that was only that length because they looped the verse and chorus again and put the kids on it .... originally it was only one verse and one chorus 

They had no interest in singles as a rule and putting out that one wasn't their idea according to the books I've read
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    I know it's all a matter of personal taste, but in my opinion The Wall is by far Pink Floyd's finest album. Followed by Animals, in my opinion, of course.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 682
    There was a period of time where I bordered on obsessive over that album. Love it love it. 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 921
    Listened to it to death as a youth. Also watched the film to death too. Actually wore out a vhs. Great, great album. DSOTM is their best, and WYWH is my favourite. Honourable mention to Obscured by Clouds.
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Did anyone ever buy the book that was released a few years ago by Gerald Scarfe?

'Scarfe on the Wall'
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30929
    Danny1969 said:
    Chuffola said:
    Gassage said:

Agreed.

Their shortest ever single was 7.55mins long.
    Really? Another Brick in the Wall Pt 2 was around 4 mins surely?  Or did I miss something...
    And that was only that length because they looped the verse and chorus again and put the kids on it .... originally it was only one verse and one chorus 

They had no interest in singles as a rule and putting out that one wasn't their idea according to the books I've read
    Not the full version, which includes the segue in and out....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    I am firmly in the camp that says it's a masterpiece, one of the greatest albums ever. The whole thing is so much more than just the songs on it. Epic guitar work, but also amazing bits and pieces - goodbye cruel world, bring the boys back home, the sounds and voices etc. To my mind the only way to hear the album is in a darkened room by yourself and play it all from start to finish. I have always loved concept albums, and it takes you on a journey like no other. Comfortably numb aside, my favourite track is Nobody home. A beautiful song about loneliness. I love playing it on the piano and singing along (not that I can sing).

The one thing that taints it a bit is the Alan Parker film. Roger Waters should have made the film he wanted. Bob Geldof - doesn't work for me at all. He's not that bad at acting, just the wrong person. 
    I actually believe this should be a West End show.

I mean, We Will Rock You did well and Floyd are as big as anyone.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Gassage said:

What a fantastic idea. Who can we speak to about that?
    axisus said:
    I am firmly in the camp that says it's a masterpiece, one of the greatest albums ever. The whole thing is so much more than just the songs on it. Epic guitar work, but also amazing bits and pieces - goodbye cruel world, bring the boys back home, the sounds and voices etc. To my mind the only way to hear the album is in a darkened room by yourself and play it all from start to finish. I have always loved concept albums, and it takes you on a journey like no other. Comfortably numb aside, my favourite track is Nobody home. A beautiful song about loneliness. I love playing it on the piano and singing along (not that I can sing).

The one thing that taints it a bit is the Alan Parker film. Roger Waters should have made the film he wanted. Bob Geldof - doesn't work for me at all. He's not that bad at acting, just the wrong person. 

I agree, Nobody Home is the best track on the album.
    What i like about 'Nobody Home' is on the Live Version at Earls Court.
    By that point Richard Wright had already been effectively 'Sacked' but it was agreed that he would do the live tour of 'The Wall' because he wanted to see what he started get finished and it was easier for the band to have him than anyone else.

If you listen to how Richard plays at Earls Court, especially on 'Nobody Home', you can hear it in the way he plays.......

"If i'm going out, i'm doing it in style !"

The energy from him in that song is amazing.
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1384
    Alnico said:
    What i like about 'Nobody Home' is on the Live Version at Earls Court.
    By that point Richard Wright had already been effectively 'Sacked' but it was agreed that he would do the live tour of 'The Wall' because he wanted to see what he started get finished and it was easier for the band to have him than anyone else.

If you listen to how Richard plays at Earls Court, especially on 'Nobody Home', you can hear it in the way he plays.......

"If i'm going out, i'm doing it in style !"

The energy from him in that song is amazing.
    He was also the only one of the 'core band' to earn any money on that tour, coz he was paid as a hired gun, while 'Pink Floyd Official' lost money staging it.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited January 2017
    Gassage said:

No. That could lead to thingy-ma-bob ... who played guitar in We Will Rock You ... interviewing David Gilmour and referring to 'Com Num'

Just like he kept referring to 'Bo Rap' when interviewing Brian May.

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    My 14 year old son has discovered it on Spotify (whatever that is) - and loves it.

Gilmour once described it as 'a bit of a winge'. That's my opinion too....
    The thing to remember about Gilmour is that he's not a good songwriter or lyricist - he's a session guitar player who's incredibly talented at playing guitar and was a member of a kick ass band, but his songs are only ever as good as the songwriters and lyricists he surrounds himself with. If you look at his output in post-Waters Floyd, the songs are largely a vehicle for his guitar playing. Waters is a songwriter and a damn fine one, though to be fair he's also lucky to have had such talented musicians around him to be a vehicle for his ideas. So when Gilmour doesn't get the Wall, I guess I think "Ok, go and *write* something better yourself."
    Alnico said:
    Whilst we're discussing the pre-post Waters thing, i have to say the 'Lost for Words' isn't just the finest Post-Waters song for me but lyrically it's the best actual song i've ever heard...It's maybe relevant that I seem to remember it was written about the relationship between the two of them ?
    I think that was theorized but everyone who was involved said it was about Gilmour's neighbor at the time. I notice Wikipedia's article says it's definitely about Waters (no citation) but it was Polly Sampson who wrote the lyrics, so at best Gilmour blundered into the studio like a huge inept wildebeast and in stunted English screamed "WOMAN ME ANGRY! MAKE WATERS PAY!!!! AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!! WOMAN MAKE SONG WORDS ATTACK HIM!!!!!" Or, something to that effect.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Cirrus said:
    My 14 year old son has discovered it on Spotify (whatever that is) - and loves it.

Gilmour once described it as 'a bit of a winge'. That's my opinion too....
    The thing to remember about Gilmour is that he's not a good songwriter or lyricist - he's a session guitar player who's incredibly talented at playing guitar and was a member of a kick ass band, but his songs are only ever as good as the songwriters and lyricists he surrounds himself with. If you look at his output in post-Waters Floyd, the songs are largely a vehicle for his guitar playing. Waters is a songwriter and a damn fine one, though to be fair he's also lucky to have had such talented musicians around him to be a vehicle for his ideas. So when Gilmour doesn't get the Wall, I guess I think "Ok, go and *write* something better yourself."
    Alnico said:
    Whilst we're discussing the pre-post Waters thing, i have to say the 'Lost for Words' isn't just the finest Post-Waters song for me but lyrically it's the best actual song i've ever heard...It's maybe relevant that I seem to remember it was written about the relationship between the two of them ?
    I think that was theorized but everyone who was involved said it was about Gilmour's neighbor at the time. I notice Wikipedia's article says it's definitely about Waters (no citation) but it was Polly Sampson who wrote the lyrics, so at best Gilmour blundered into the studio like a huge inept wildebeast and in stunted English screamed "WOMAN ME ANGRY! MAKE WATERS PAY!!!! AAARRRGGGHHHH!!!!! WOMAN MAKE SONG WORDS ATTACK HIM!!!!!" Or, something to that effect.
    Made my whole day with that !
    :)
    It's lovely to imagine that *He* has days like that too.
  • fftcfftc Frets: 559
    I agree with Cirrus about Gilmour.

While I love his guitar playing it's clear that Waters was the genius in the band. What is even more remarkable about that is how he fell into it as no-one else was doing very much post SBs demise.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28339
    The Wall wouldn't work as a London show. The story is too bleak and incoherent to normal people. Look at the success of Mamma Mia and We will rock you - appallingly simpleton stories with the songs tacked on. That is the recipe. It's not about just getting fans of the bands along, it's about drawing in millions of other people as well. They are also greatest hits packages, the Wall only had one hit!
    Just re DG, I disagree. he is an amazing writer of music, as opposed to songs.

I always see PF as being some kind of bridge between classical music and rock, and Gilmour's ability in this is monumental.

Also, if we wrote down our 5 fave PF moments, I bet that 3 or 4 would be DG penned.

Syd's Theme from Shine On...there's an example.