The Wall

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• I really love the Wall. I reckon it could have done with a few more tweaks though. The Trial is just too stylistically different - essentially PF disappears with Ezrin finishing the album. They could have done it as a band song. Also I'd have cut something somewhere so What Shall We Do Now is on the album. I remember watching the tape of Bryan Adams and Roger doing the song in Berlin and it's really powerful with two voices like that.

Not sure which is my favourite Floyd album. But The Wall is one of them. The others being Meddle and Animals. Never been that into DSOTM (its best bits are reused from Meddle anyway!) and Wish You Were Here's cold production (intentional I know) isn't something I like. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    I really love the Wall. I reckon it could have done with a few more tweaks though. The Trial is just too stylistically different - essentially PF disappears with Ezrin finishing the album. They could have done it as a band song. Also I'd have cut something somewhere so What Shall We Do Now is on the album. I remember watching the tape of Bryan Adams and Roger doing the song in Berlin and it's really powerful with two voices like that.

Not sure which is my favourite Floyd album. But The Wall is one of them. The others being Meddle and Animals. Never been that into DSOTM (its best bits are reused from Meddle anyway!) and Wish You Were Here's cold production (intentional I know) isn't something I like. 
    I vividly remember Bryan Adams and Roger Waters performing that. It got right inside my head because at that point i hadn't even heard the Earls Court recordings, i only ever had the studio album so i'd never heard that song in full. I honestly came away from watching Berlin thinking it was an improvised piece between them or something, it's an amazing song in full.

I agree a little about the Trial especially as it feels like the band have already left and you're left with the special effects to finish it off but the theatrical aspect of it does fit well at the end after the build up from 'In the Flesh' to 'Waiting for the Worms' and as over the top as it gets, it's always seemed to stay relevant for me, like the maelstrom of his mind is finally caving in on itself. I didn't watch the film for many years after having the album played to death so the imagery in that film is barely there in my mind. What i see every time i listen are the pictures that an 8 year old boy drew in his mind in 1980 when his Dad brought the album home and played it to death. That boy got a taped copy of it for his bedroom and that same year started playing guitar. The trial and all the rest of the album hold so many memories for me, i don't think there's a single second of it that isn't attached in some way to a point in time, trivial or otherwise.

In fact i've wondered in the past and i'm wondering again now if *this* is actually my comfort zone music, as dark as it is. Listening to it again seems to have put some stuff into perspective,................again.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I love the fact that ABITW was the Christmas #1 single in 1979!  For an anti-singles band it's deliciously ironic.  

I wonder why we don't hear it in department stores alongside Slade, Cliff et al during the festive season??
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • Alnico said:

In fact i've wondered in the past and i'm wondering again now if *this* is actually my comfort zone music, as dark as it is. Listening to it again seems to have put some stuff into perspective,................again.
    I totally get that. Listening to The Wall actually tends to cheer me up. "For heaven's sake Rog," I think, "You're over egging the pudding a bit."