Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

"Taxman unleashes its 'snooper computer'" so that's what the investigatory powers bill was for

What's Hot
UnorthodoxUnorthodox Frets: 395
edited January 2017 in Off Topic
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tax/return/taxman-unleashes-snooper-computer-information-does-have/

Three choice bits of info.

"HMRC’s powerful “Connect” system now draws on information from myriad government and corporate sources to create a profile of each taxpayer’s total income."

"HMRC said it had used information gathered from banks, peer-to-peer lenders such as Zopa and other financial institutions and then checked it against individuals’ tax returns."

“Connect broadly deals with information spontaneously available in government departments or as part of the digital footprint that people leave when they use the internet,”

These loan companies are handing over your data, Facebook hands over user data (1, 2), and Google hands over user data (1), and all on top of GCHQ capturing everything you ever do online and it's all being used to see if you're dodging tax. Nice.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    Wow.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3081
    The "Who's gigging tonight" thread will be like a ghost town!
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The full list is worth posting I think.

What HMRC can find out about you

Visa and Mastercard transactions: Anonymised information on all payments

Land Registry records: To determine properties purchased, and stamp duty paid

DVLA: Details of cars purchased and owned by individuals

UK and overseas bank accounts: From this year it receives information from banks in more than 60 countries.

Internal tax documents: Systems show council tax paid, relevant VAT registration, previous tax investigations, last year's tax return (or absence of one)

Earnings: From any employer, including those you have worked for casually, or on an ad-hoc basis. This includes any company benefits received. It can also access child benefit and maintenance payments through the child support agency

Online marketplaces: Websites such as eBay and Gumtree can be accessed to weed out regular traders

Social media: The Connect system can also look at public social media account information, including from Twitter, Facebook and Instagram

Web browsing and email records: Under the 'Snoopers Charter' HMRC will be able to access individual's digital information

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379
    What the FUCK? Anything that they might get from spying on small time individuals minus the cost of enforcing and collecting (theoretically) scores of tiny amounts is pissing in the ocean compared to the big guys that dodge tax with impunity. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7771
    Typical right wing monarchial style attitude. Squeeze more out of the middle and poor and leave those at the top alone. 

Where is the greater investigation into tax loopholes, overseas accounts, corporate tax evasion, family trusts & gifts etc? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Well, that's a bit rubbish. 
  • The "Who's gigging tonight" thread will be like a ghost town!

Haha, yes, I say we move it to S.C. As far as I'm aware though, people only pay tax on their "Profits" so I've got a long way to go before I so much as break even.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • wibblewibble Frets: 1108
    Plus factor in the HMRC retrospective tax legislation they've managed to get in. I bet we will see more retrospective tax changes affecting more people.
  • This is an interesting read as well https://www.taxation.co.uk/Articles/2014/09/02/330221/well-connected

the system cost £80m and has apparently generated more than £3bn in extra tax according to the article. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure I see the issue... if you earn the money - pay the tax.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Not sure I see the issue... if you earn the money - pay the tax.

Yeah, if you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1379

Not sure I see the issue... if you earn the money - pay the tax.

This assumes a system that works perfectly, doesn't falsely incriminate (or at the very least inconvenience) people who've done nothing, and I refer the honourable gentleman to the above point there is far worse tax evasion and lost revenue in the world of multinational businesses than the benefits claimant. This is fighting the right fight on the wrong front, waste of time and resources for minimal gains.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8714

If you don't then you are stealing from the rest of us
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24351
    Unorthodox said:

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_Fab said:
    Unorthodox said:

Exactly my point.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    ... yeah but these mul-tie £millionz govern-mental supa-dupa com-puta systems never work properly do they!

Anyway, I have so many aliases for most of my webbery that even I forget who I am!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

The taxman has always been able to get this information, it's just that they've now got a computer that does it all far quicker.

I know somebody who years ago got a full tax/VAT audit, and it was interesting to hear the lengths they went to.
    They valued everything in his house, his company premises, and went through all available statements/receipts/invoices, to see if he could afford everything on what he was declaring. They worked out that he could just afford it, or at least to the point that they couldn't prove otherwise.

Not paying tax is always going to be a controversial issue. Being employed and self-employed, my goal each year is to not pay tax on the self-employed bit, but I can currently afford to reinvest any profits back into the business, so if I finally do make the jump to ditching the day job, I have a well equipped business.

IMO one area that really does need cracked down on, are all the contractors operating via limited companies to minimise their tax/VAT bills. They're not operating illegally, but why should they only be paying basic tax/vat when they're ultimately being paid far more, which any normal employee would be paying higher rate tax on?

• bbill335 said:

This assumes a system that works perfectly, doesn't falsely incriminate (or at the very least inconvenience) people who've done nothing, and I refer the honourable gentleman to the above point there is far worse tax evasion and lost revenue in the world of multinational businesses than the benefits claimant. This is fighting the right fight on the wrong front, waste of time and resources for minimal gains.

No... my statement doesn't assume that.  You've just assumed that my statement assumed it. :-)

In addition, I don't think it's a case of 'fighting the right fight on the wrong front'... surely it's the case that the right fight should be fought on many fronts i.e. tax evasion should be fought wherever it occurs, regardless of the size of the target individual or the target corporation.

Also... where's your evidence that it's a 'waste of time and resources for minimal gains'? Didn't someone provide a link to an article that claimed an £80m investment has generated £3bn in extra revenue?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    m_c said:

The taxman has always been able to get this information, it's just that they've now got a computer that does it all far quicker.

I know somebody who years ago got a full tax/VAT audit, and it was interesting to hear the lengths they went to.
    They valued everything in his house, his company premises, and went through all available statements/receipts/invoices, to see if he could afford everything on what he was declaring. They worked out that he could just afford it, or at least to the point that they couldn't prove otherwise.

Not paying tax is always going to be a controversial issue. Being employed and self-employed, my goal each year is to not pay tax on the self-employed bit, but I can currently afford to reinvest any profits back into the business, so if I finally do make the jump to ditching the day job, I have a well equipped business.

IMO one area that really does need cracked down on, are all the contractors operating via limited companies to minimise their tax/VAT bills. They're not operating illegally, but why should they only be paying basic tax/vat when they're ultimately being paid far more, which any normal employee would be paying higher rate tax on?

Are you being serious?

You perfectly described the clear separation between your own business and your own employment.  Yet you cannot see it is the same for the contractor with the limited company?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243
    Chalky said:
    Are you being serious?

You perfectly described the clear separation between your own business and your own employment.  Yet you cannot see it is the same for the contractor with the limited company?

I know it is, but in my case, I'm not using a limited company for the sole purpose of storing money to avoid tax, which is what most contractors are doing.