Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

"Taxman unleashes its 'snooper computer'" so that's what the investigatory powers bill was for

What's Hot

Comments

• m_c said:
    Chalky said:
    Are you being serious?

You perfectly described the clear separation between your own business and your own employment.  Yet you cannot see it is the same for the contractor with the limited company?

I know it is, but in my case, I'm not using a limited company for the sole purpose of storing money to avoid tax, which is what most contractors are doing.

I think one of the main reasons contractors do this is to pay themselves dividends (instead of just salaries) - as there's no NI liability for dividends.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    m_c said:
    Chalky said:
    Are you being serious?

You perfectly described the clear separation between your own business and your own employment.  Yet you cannot see it is the same for the contractor with the limited company?

I know it is, but in my case, I'm not using a limited company for the sole purpose of storing money to avoid tax, which is what most contractors are doing.

Er, but you said "Being employed and self-employed, my goal each year is to not pay tax on the self-employed bit, but I can currently afford to reinvest any profits back into the business, so if I finally do make the jump to ditching the day job, I have a well equipped business."

So instead of storing money you are storing equipment, aka capability.  The old 'it must be a physical asset to be a real business' mindset. So last century ;)
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1243

I think one of the main reasons contractors do this is to pay themselves dividends (instead of just salaries) - as there's no NI liability for dividends.

That's only a side benefit.

Take an example, a contractor gets paid 100'000 for a year. They will bill via a limited company, and due to having to pay VAT, they have to bill 120'000. They then have to pay VAT on that, but you can do that via the flat rate scheme (although this has changed recently, so somebody please correct me), so they don't actually pay the 20'000 they would if using the normal VAT scheme, they only pay 14.5%. So straight away they have a 5.5% bonus/vat saving.

Now of that 105'500, say they pay themselves a basic salary of say 20'000, using the first online calc google threw up, they'd pay 1'880 income tax and 1'433 NI. On the remaining 85'500 in the limited company, they then pay 19% corporation tax (12'245), so they end up with 69'255 left in the company essentially free from any further tax, and ultimately 89'942 left under their control.

So for that 100'000, you would only pay £15'558 in tax/NI, and that's before you consider that any travel (I.e a commute to a fixed office)/business expenses would also be treated as a tax allowance.

Now if you were to be paid that same 100'000 as an employee, you would pay £29'403 in tax, and 5'271 in NI, and of the remaining 65326, you would be hit for interest tax, and also have to pay for your commute cost.

There you have a 24'616 saving by being a contractor using a limited company compared to an employee. However as you mentioned, contractors will often avoid income tax by paying themselves the minimum wage, then using dividend payments when they need additional money, thus they save even more in tax.

I don't earn anything near that, plus I don't have a limited company at the moment (probably something I'll need to look at later in the year for liability reasons). What I'm earning as self-employed, I'm simply using to buy equipment so that if I do decide to quit the day job, I have the equipment I think I'll need for the work I'd like to do/offer.

The problem facing the government, is how do you legally distinguish between somebody running a business and reinvesting money into that business, from somebody simply using the business to store money to minimise their tax bill?

Chalky said:
    m_c said:
    Chalky said:
    Are you being serious?

Er, but you said "Being employed and self-employed, my goal each year is to not pay tax on the self-employed bit, but I can currently afford to reinvest any profits back into the business, so if I finally do make the jump to ditching the day job, I have a well equipped business."

So instead of storing money you are storing equipment, aka capability.  The old 'it must be a physical asset to be a real business' mindset. So last century ;)

Chalky said:
    So instead of storing money you are storing equipment, aka capability.  The old 'it must be a physical asset to be a real business' mindset. So last century
    See my last post, however it's a very grey area. I'm not working for a single company under the pretence of being a contractor, just to avoid being an employee ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @m_c... not totally accurate. You don't have to be a ltd company to register for VAT or to use the flat rate scheme.
    @m_c... not totally accurate. You don't have to be a ltd company to register for VAT or to use the flat rate scheme.

I know that, but using it to highlight how you can use it to your advantage. One of those unintended benefits it's brought to people who it was never really meant for.
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    m_c said:
    @m_c... not totally accurate. You don't have to be a ltd company to register for VAT or to use the flat rate scheme.

I know that, but using it to highlight how you can use it to your advantage. One of those unintended benefits it's brought to people who it was never really meant for.
    Flat rate is on gross not net, and I think you've picked an edge case scenario. An employee earning 100k can reasonably expect to be earning that next year, gets sick pay, holiday pay, and is unlikely to get sacked if incapacitated by an accident or lengthier illness. The contractor has none of these benefits and can be let go with the stroke of the Finance department's pen. So the risk profile is very different.

If you decide to go into your business fulltime I suggest you raise your risk awareness.  I'm assuming you know some lucky long term contractors and that is colouring your view! :)
  • vizviz Frets: 10699
    Emp_Fab said:
    Unorthodox said:

Yeah, if you've got nothing to hide you've got nothing to fear...

Not sure I gave you permission to use that. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Typical right wing monarchial style attitude. Squeeze more out of the middle and poor and leave those at the top alone. 

Not at all. This is exactly the endgame envisaged by the last Labour government - the only reason it didn't get implemented during Blair's time at the time is that the technology to do so simply didn't exist.

For the record, this is precisely why I'm working on getting OpenVPN going from my router. It won't do much in the face of everything the government can access, but I'm at least going to resist as much as I can.
    <space for hire>
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 4996
    edited January 2017
    Typical right wing monarchial style attitude. Squeeze more out of the middle and poor and leave those at the top alone. 

Not at all. This is exactly the endgame envisaged by the last Labour government - the only reason it didn't get implemented during Blair's time at the time is that the technology to do so simply didn't exist.

For the record, this is precisely why I'm working on getting OpenVPN going from my router. It won't do much in the face of everything the government can access, but I'm at least going to resist as much as I can.
    So, how's that work Lee? I'm aware of what VPN's are but not so sure how to use them/ set them up, etc...
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
  • Typical right wing monarchial style attitude. Squeeze more out of the middle and poor and leave those at the top alone. 

So, how's that work Lee? I'm aware of what VPN's are but not so sure how to use them/ set them up, etc...
    Well, you could use a commercial VPN service, or you could do what I'm doing - get a virtual server (such as the one that this place is hosted on, but the entry-level version) then set up an OpenVPN server. It's a bit technical, though, so if you're not particularly au fait with Linux command line stuff then it's probably not the best idea; a commercial service might be easier.

I'm currently looking for a router which can act as an OpenVPN client. The idea is that rather than connecting to the VPN from each machine, all traffic from the router travels over the VPN and is encrypted accordingly.
    <space for hire>
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11878
    Is there any point? If they could track down who hacked the democrat's emails, I'm sure they can trace your activities online if they want to. (I'm sure you've seen CitizenFour)
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11928
    bbill335 said:
    What the FUCK? Anything that they might get from spying on small time individuals minus the cost of enforcing and collecting (theoretically) scores of tiny amounts is pissing in the ocean compared to the big guys that dodge tax with impunity. 
    so people who  work and pay no tax should not be  pursued to contribute?
    I know  many who  do cash in hand jobs and pay little or no tax - is that OK?
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/tax/return/taxman-unleashes-snooper-computer-information-does-have/

Three choice bits of info.

"HMRC’s powerful “Connect” system now draws on information from myriad government and corporate sources to create a profile of each taxpayer’s total income."

"HMRC said it had used information gathered from banks, peer-to-peer lenders such as Zopa and other financial institutions and then checked it against individuals’ tax returns."

“Connect broadly deals with information spontaneously available in government departments or as part of the digital footprint that people leave when they use the internet,”

These loan companies are handing over your data, Facebook hands over user data (1, 2), and Google hands over user data (1), and all on top of GCHQ capturing everything you ever do online and it's all being used to see if you're dodging tax. Nice.
    Amazing that it took so long coming
    Expect more of this
    Typical right wing monarchial style attitude. Squeeze more out of the middle and poor and leave those at the top alone. 

Where is the greater investigation into tax loopholes, overseas accounts, corporate tax evasion, family trusts & gifts etc? 

RIGHT wing?
    Do you think the left would not do this?

It's not  about squeezing "more" out of the middle & poor, it's about catching those who lie
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Is there any point? If they could track down who hacked the democrat's emails, I'm sure they can trace your activities online if they want to. (I'm sure you've seen CitizenFour)
    They can, but it would take a lot more effort - what it does do is remove your traffic from the automated data collection. They have enough computing power at their disposal to crack 256 bit RSA encryption if they want (that's a good compromise between security and performance), but it would take a significant effort to do so.
    <space for hire>
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107
    edited January 2017

Where is the greater investigation into tax loopholes, overseas accounts, corporate tax evasion, family trusts & gifts etc? 

RIGHT wing?

It's not  about squeezing "more" out of the middle & poor, it's about catching those who lie

Except for the rich.

They will still have their loopholes. Philip Green stealing £500,000,000 and apparently its legal.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28392

RIGHT wing?

I don't know why so many people don't understand this; it's not right vs left, it's authoritarian vs liberal.

This is an authoritarian move. Nothing whatsoever to do with left or right wing.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:

RIGHT wing?

I don't know why so many people don't understand this; it's not right vs left, it's authoritarian vs liberal.

This is an authoritarian move. Nothing whatsoever to do with left or right wing.
    Precisely - since 9/11, almost every single Western country has had a massive lurch towards authoritarian rule, because the "threat" that terrorism presents also represents the perfect excuse for it.

Sure, we lead the world in surveillance of our own citizens, but everybody else is a) egging us on, and b) waiting for the next iteration of the technology so they can adopt it themselves.
    <space for hire>
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1380
    bbill335 said:
    What the FUCK? Anything that they might get from spying on small time individuals minus the cost of enforcing and collecting (theoretically) scores of tiny amounts is pissing in the ocean compared to the big guys that dodge tax with impunity. 
    so people who  work and pay no tax should not be  pursued to contribute?
    I know  many who  do cash in hand jobs and pay little or no tax - is that OK?

Of course, everybody should render unto Caesar, but to enact a policy like this - claiming to target the small fry tax avoiders - before coming down on the crooks that run huge businesses owing millions in tax just serves to further demonise those at the poorer end of the spectrum. My real concern is that further scrutiny on the most vulnerable (people on disability benefit etc.) leads to desperate people having no money to live and the government happily does this kind of thing in the name of national bookkeeping while turning a blind eye to the human impact.

If they were really serious about retrieving unpaid taxes, they'd go for those making the big money. Who makes millions cash in hand? This a lip service policy that placates whoever is calling for this and that by making things worse for those most vulnerable while letting the worst offenders carry on as normal.