First pedal you ever bought (and when.)

What's Hot

Comments

• TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    Marshall GV2, I got it when I got my first valve amp (Hot Rod Deluxe) and realised I wanted a Marshall sound :) don't have it any more, but still considering another as it's a great MIAB for very little money.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • paulcayepaulcaye Frets: 71
    First pedals I got a Christmas gift in 1987 which was a boss DSD-3 and a CS-2.  When I got my first electric a Sunn Mustang/ sunn 15 watt amp. 

I still have the amp / pedals and guitar is in several pieces somewhere.  

The first pedal I went into a shop to buy for myself as a Marshall shred master some point in 94 I think  - the amp at the time was a Marshall 80 watt valvestate- think I needed more gain.  Oh how foolish I was. I still have the shred master (even if the pots need replacing).  

I didn’t buy another new pedal for about 25 years - not sure if that is good endorsement of the shred master or just a reflection on my bank balance during that time period. 
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4985
    In 1977 or 1978 I bought an MXR pedal mainly because a lot of the Showband guitar players used one. It thickened up the sound of my Strat and later my Les Paul into a Marshall 50 watt head and 4*12 cabinet. Surprisingly the pedal suited the Country and Irish pub bands I played in at that time. 

After my life changing injury I gave up guitar for about seventeen years and gave my MXR pedal to a local guitar player. 
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• drwiddlydrwiddly Frets: 918
    I bought a fuzz pedal (possibly a Shaftesbury?) in 1971. It sounded pretty horrible and I've detested fuzz pedals ever since. Second pedal was a Jen Crybaby - much better!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28407
    Boss ME5. Early 90s at a guess. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • PhilKingPhilKing Frets: 1481
    An unnamed wah pedal back in 69/70 from Ray Smith's in Shipley.  
    It had no on/off switch and no makers name on it.

I know that someone sent this picture to my Godson at his studio.  If you see this and are interested in selling it, I'd love to get it back.  I flogged it with most of my gear when I moved to the States back in 1980, but before that, I used it all the time
  • RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 486
    If multi-fx are allowed then it'd be a Zoom 505.  I thought it was great at the time - I recall there being a distorted, phaser setting which, for some reason, I thought sounded like Brian May.  Probably a mail order purchase as there were no decent shops near me at the time.

If it's stand-alone pedals then it'd either be a Dunlop cry baby or an EHX bad stone.  Either would have been bought in Glasgow as I spent a lot of time up there around 1999/2000.  Still remember going into a shop asking if they had a phaser and the reply I got was "looking to shift that phase, are you?".  I walked out and made my way to Merchant City Music who got my money.

All three are still in my possession but I'd struggle to find any of them quickly.  The bad stone may still be on my gigging pedal board but I've not opened that up in at least 3 years.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited July 2022
    RedRabbit said:
    If multi-fx are allowed then it'd be a Zoom 505.  I thought it was great at the time - I recall there being a distorted, phaser setting which, for some reason, I thought sounded like Brian May.  Probably a mail order purchase as there were no decent shops near me at the time.

If it's stand-alone pedals then it'd either be a Dunlop cry baby or an EHX bad stone.  Either would have been bought in Glasgow as I spent a lot of time up there around 1999/2000.  Still remember going into a shop asking if they had a phaser and the reply I got was "looking to shift that phase, are you?".  I walked out and made my way to Merchant City Music who got my money.

All three are still in my possession but I'd struggle to find any of them quickly.  The bad stone may still be on my gigging pedal board but I've not opened that up in at least 3 years.

I think mine was maybe a Zoom 505 too. I remember being really disappointed when I first got it and scrolled through the presets. Did get some decent sounds out of it eventually. It was a nice wee gadget with lots on it.

About the same time I got a behringer vintage distortion, which is one of the best muffs I've ever heard (the vintage time machine sounds great too) and a cheap plastic wah which I don't remember much about. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1943
    Ibanez TS9 or Boss BF2. Still have the TS9 and thought the BF2 was great but now realise it really wasn't. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30291
    First I ever bought was a Coloursound Fuzz/Wah.
    It sounded OK but it kept picking up local radio.
    Certainly not worth what they go for now.
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3028
    1988, Columbus Distortion from Becketts in Southampton. It served me well enough until I upgraded to a Marshall Guv’nor a couple of years later.
  • lincolnbluelincolnblue Frets: 294
    First I bought was a Rocktek Overdrive in about 1996. I got rid of it years later as it died but bought another on ebay recently for nostalgic reasons. Second pedal was a Morley wah
  • PALPAL Frets: 540
    Colour Sound Tone Bender I think it was late sixties ! It was used cost me £1.50 !
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4646
    edited July 2022
    First two pedals where a TS9 and a Dynacomp I bought for 10 Deutsch Marks each second hand in 1987.
    Still have the TS9 (but missing its base plate)
  • deanodeano Frets: 622
    Marshall Guv'nor (UK). Some time in the 90's.

Didn't like it. It's still sat unused in a drawer somewhere.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4557
    God knows when but you're doing it again.. my first pedal was a Digitech Tone Driver. The gold one . . First gig I used it it packed in after one song and the singers friend in the crowd shouted 'when you coming back on Ted.. terrible
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    DesVegas said:
    God knows when but you're doing it again.. my first pedal was a Digitech Tone Driver. The gold one . . First gig I used it it packed in after one song and the singers friend in the crowd shouted 'when you coming back on Ted.. terrible
    I still use mine from 1987... Is surprisingly good considering.
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    They all sound rubbish in the day cos we all had cheap rubbish solid state amps. The only thing that was good about them was the Comic book graphics/colours. Has coloured my hatred for fuzz ever since
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Sassafras said:
    They all sound rubbish in the day cos we all had cheap rubbish solid state amps. The only thing that was good about them was the Comic book graphics/colours. Has coloured my hatred for fuzz ever since
    I had a Traynor valve amp at the time.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1586
    edited July 2022
    Big Muff Pi c. 1980(?). Wanted to get the Doobie Bros China Grove riff sound . Still have it..