What's Hot

Comments

• MaxiMaxi Frets: 13
    edited January 2014
    imageFrontline Distortion way back in 87
    Flown the nest .
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DodgeDodge Frets: 1447
    Bog standard CryBaby wah, some time in 1991.  Instantly turned me into John Squire.

(in my head).
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8754
    When I was young and penniless I made my own overdrive pedals, and salvaged and repaired a Vox Wah, and then a Cry Baby. So the first pedal I actually bought was when I came back to guitar playing in the early 90s, after our children were born. Not wanting to spend lots of money on separate pedals I bought a Boss ME6. The first standalone purchase would have been a replacement Cry Baby, after the original 60s model eventually wore out.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • It was a Rocktek - overdrive I think although it could have been the distortion. Bought it from a great little shop in Chester.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24623
    I think it was a Boss Flanger in about 1989.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3638
    Jen wah wah in very early '70's.

Got stolen and was replaced with a Dunlop which is not working too well after spending 15 years in the shed!

I'll have to try and have a look at it one day. 
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    edited January 2014
    John_P said:
    longi said:
    My first pedal was a Frontline Distortion pedal which I bought in 1984 for £20. It had no anti pop circuit so when it was activated or deactivated there was a loud "POP!" Nice!
    Snap - but a year later...  horrible little pedal that i thought sounds great into my 10watt jhs amp.

My 2nd and 3rd were a lot better - Ibanez CS9 chorus and an Aria delay - both lovely and would have again now but you'd have to pay me to use the frontline.
    Yup, it sure was! My friend bought a cheap £20 distortion pedal just after me and it was epic, much better than the Frontline although it still "popped" when you switched it on or off. I can't remember the name of it though. My next one was a Tokai Metal Driver - How I wished I'd kept it, it was the black version and it was ace. Doh! The next pedal I bought was a Guyatone Chorus/Flanger which was also very good, I sold that too. Doh! x2!
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 559

I've just remembered, I bought a Bucket brigade delay line from Tandy, "Realistic" that must be late 70's, predates my zoom 505.

Had hours of fun modding it too!

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7162
    Boss SD-1 around '86 or '87
    Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11470
    Arion distortion around 85.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31659
    My first pedal, I bought it from Gamlin Pianos in 1981, still going strong!

http://imageshack.com/a/img545/270/mvh5.jpg
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Arion flanger in "84 wanted a chorus but bought this as it was the only pedal the shop had in
  • jtmaxjtmax Frets: 3
    Carlsbro Wah and Vox compressor from about 1980.Wah was great;no idea what happened to it though.Now use an ancient Selmer Fuzz Wah and an an Ibanez Blubber wah.
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    Boss HM2. Prob around 1989 on Denmark st. Bought it cos I couldn't get a gainy enough sound from my laney linebacker (although I obviously could - my 16 year old ears craved more fizz...)

Awful pedal. Returned it a week later and got a Marshall guvnor that i gigged for aaaages
  • Bought a Boss NS-2 before any other pedal, because a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. Couple of days later got a Stone Deaf Syncopy and a Rainger Reverb-X.

Still not sure what I was thinking regards the NS-2. I remember wondering if it was possible to use it musically, perhaps as a gate? I was probably seduced by what I perceived to be a low price for a top notch brand too. Used it sporadically before selling it on. 

I recall the vids on building pedal boards had gotten me obsessed about removing noise without any understanding about the nature of noise and its causes

When you know very little it’s very hard to make sound decisions 
  • Ibanez Soundtank Powerlead, around 1993 perhaps?
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11916
    Scarab Deluxe July 2014.
  • DavidReesDavidRees Frets: 335
    Colorsound Wah Fuzz Swell back in the early 70s - a lovely bright yellow thing from Macaris in Charing Cross Road. strangely enough it failed in its attempts to make me sound any better than I actually was :) ...
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7389
    edited July 2022
    [EDIT]  Not another ancient post that has been resurrected!  I didn't notice the date.

LOCObox DS-01 distortion around 1980.
    Probably made by the same japanese OEM that were making Aria, Maxon, Guyatone, and various other pedals.  The exact same Loco ones also came with the names Gig, Cutec, Powervoice and Studio Series screenprinted on them.  Those were the days when they named them based on what they actually did rather than the modern trend of choosing a theme and concocting names from which it is impossible to determine what they do.

DS-01.jpg 20.9K
  • springheadspringhead Frets: 1602
    edited July 2022
    jtmax said:
    Carlsbro Wah and Vox compressor from about 1980.Wah was great;no idea what happened to it though.Now use an ancient Selmer Fuzz Wah and an an Ibanez Blubber wah.
    This is your second 8 year old back from the dead FX thread - are you reading the forum from the beginning? !! 

My first pedal I bought (I’d already made a couple) was a RAT, around 1987 from one of the Denmark St shops. “Stomp on a RAT”, that was their marketing slogan at the time.  Still got it, still sounds good, worth considerably more than I paid for it apparently.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom