Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Classifieds and lol'ing

What's Hot

Comments

• thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2813
    thebreeze said:
    No, you're right I think perhaps I'm being way too oversensitive.  I don't use the internet nearly as much as some of you (I imagine) and from what I can ascertain the niceties just seem to go out of the window.  This is very small beer - I was just reading the scamming thread by @joeyowen........there are much worse things to worry about.
    Chances are whomever Lol'd your ad was:

Lol

It has happened to me in the past but I haven't tried to sell anything for at least 6 months.  I just noticed it happening much more recently and as prices are rising everywhere post-Brexit I wondered if some folks were finding it harder to accept prices rising on the s/h market.  It also then occurred to me that some might also prefer to keep prices lower here to buy and sell on at a higher price elsewhere etc.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31775
    I definitely think lols are impolite on a classified ad, though as we're generally a pretty polite bunch when it comes to wheeling and dealing it does make me sit up and take notice when I'm idly browsing. 

I've googled the going rate for an item in the past when I've seen a lol or two. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Anyone using the phrase 'plays like butter' deserves a good hard kick in the ball sack.
    Fixed for you.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1757
    edited January 2017
    @octatonic Is that San Escobar in your avatar mate? :-)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33882
    @octatonic Is that Dan Escobar in your avatar mate? :-)
    San Escobar?
    Yes, lovely place- I did a tour of the micro-natio poetica a few years ago, also travelled through Petoria & San Serriffe.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    @octatonic Is that Dan Escobar in your avatar mate? :-)
    San Escobar?
    Yes, lovely place- I did a tour of the micro-natio poetica a few years ago, also travelled through Petoria & San Serriffe.

I remember Dan - from before he had the operation. He'll always be Dan Escobar, to me.
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In that case I won't be selling Sharon, my only true love, on here. Which is a shame as she plays like melted butter and I'd hate to have to part with her.

Genuine offers only, of course, and no less than £20,000

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    In that case I won't be selling Sharon, my only true love, on here. Which is a shame as she plays like melted butter and I'd hate to have to part with her.

Genuine offers only, of course, and no less than £20,000
    You'd get more joy on theWifeboard mate... ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe its somebody who has such bad GAS that the concept of selling a guitar is hilarious.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • @Bridgehouse in which case a tenner and a kebab should cover it ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    @Bridgehouse in which case a tenner and a kebab should cover it ;)
    Chicken or Doner?
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2813
    Maybe its somebody who has such bad GAS that the concept of selling a guitar is hilarious.
    Nails it.
  • thebreeze said:
    I've noticed that a fair number of FS threads in the classifieds (I've only really checked the guitar ones) quite often get lol'd on their initial sales pitch.

I don't feel particularly comfortable about this, but I may be alone in this and reading too much into it.  However, I do wonder whether people are getting round Rule 6 of the classifieds (and maybe general Rule 1) by doing this?  Some people (but you could say all buyers, especially professionals/dealers) have a vested interest in keeping prices as low as possible/making a sale harder and a sarcastic lol could be an underhand and insidious way of sending a message that something is priced too high (in their opinion).

I can only think that this is the intention as the seller is just listing specs and putting up photos of their guitar - just the same as the posts that don't get lol'd.  In my unscientific overview I have a feeling that it occurs more on classifieds for higher end guitars.  Maybe there is a touch of envy or something too?... I don't know, but either way what purpose does the LOL button serve in the classifieds and would the classifieds be better served without it?  
    Just the cunts around here, just like the way they have lol'd your original post here mate.  Not surprised some people have left the site.  

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @Bridgehouse in which case a tenner and a kebab should cover it ;)
    Chicken or Doner?
    Either or......

• NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    thebreeze said:
    I've noticed that a fair number of FS threads in the classifieds (I've only really checked the guitar ones) quite often get lol'd on their initial sales pitch.

I don't feel particularly comfortable about this, but I may be alone in this and reading too much into it.  However, I do wonder whether people are getting round Rule 6 of the classifieds (and maybe general Rule 1) by doing this?  Some people (but you could say all buyers, especially professionals/dealers) have a vested interest in keeping prices as low as possible/making a sale harder and a sarcastic lol could be an underhand and insidious way of sending a message that something is priced too high (in their opinion).

I can only think that this is the intention as the seller is just listing specs and putting up photos of their guitar - just the same as the posts that don't get lol'd.  In my unscientific overview I have a feeling that it occurs more on classifieds for higher end guitars.  Maybe there is a touch of envy or something too?... I don't know, but either way what purpose does the LOL button serve in the classifieds and would the classifieds be better served without it?  
    Just the cunts around here, just like the way they have lol'd your original post here mate.  Not surprised some people have left the site.  

Blimey! Who shit in your slippers?
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I have lol'd once but it was by mistake.
    I was using my mobile to read the for sale section, and hit it by mistake.
    Tried to un lol but doesnt seem that you can
  • Nikko said:
    thebreeze said:

Blimey! Who shit in your slippers?
    No one,  just calling it like I see it.  I know what certain people are like on here, posting links to eBay threads laughing at other auctions.  It's basically the same think happening here, members laughing at other members for selling stuff.    
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    JaffaJedi said:
    I have lol'd once but it was by mistake.
    You can un Lol, just hit the Lol icon again (it'll show a larger icon if you have lol'd them. 

It it is easy on a phone to accidentally LOL someone while scrolling. 
  • JaffaJedi said:
    You can un Lol, just hit the Lol icon again (it'll show a larger icon if you have lol'd them. 

ah I must have hit it a few times to try and un lol
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12468
    JaffaJedi said:
    JaffaJedi said:

ah I must have hit it a few times to try and un lol
    On a mobile you have to refresh the thread first, then you can unlol, unwis or unwow.