Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Classifieds and lol'ing

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10351
    thebreeze said:
    I've noticed that a fair number of FS threads in the classifieds (I've only really checked the guitar ones) quite often get lol'd on their initial sales pitch.

I don't feel particularly comfortable about this, but I may be alone in this and reading too much into it.  However, I do wonder whether people are getting round Rule 6 of the classifieds (and maybe general Rule 1) by doing this?  Some people (but you could say all buyers, especially professionals/dealers) have a vested interest in keeping prices as low as possible/making a sale harder and a sarcastic lol could be an underhand and insidious way of sending a message that something is priced too high (in their opinion).

I can only think that this is the intention as the seller is just listing specs and putting up photos of their guitar - just the same as the posts that don't get lol'd.  In my unscientific overview I have a feeling that it occurs more on classifieds for higher end guitars.  Maybe there is a touch of envy or something too?... I don't know, but either way what purpose does the LOL button serve in the classifieds and would the classifieds be better served without it?  
    just like the way they have lol'd your original post here mate. 

I'm going out on a limb here,but I'll hazard a guess that those lols are of the ironic persuasion.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • warheadwarhead Frets: 97
    dunno.......maybe it all goes on situation to situation bases.........in one hand, people can sell their stuff for whatever they want...........on the other hand.......if someone puts a second hand 2015. LP Deluxe for almost 3000E(I am from mainland Europe) for sale, while the brand spanking new in Thomann or Musicstore(and many other places, Id guess) is 1200E.....it seems like the seller thinks the customers are stupid.......and that deserves more than just getting lol`ed at.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • bingefellerbingefeller Frets: 5723
    edited January 2017
    thebreeze said:
    I've noticed that a fair number of FS threads in the classifieds (I've only really checked the guitar ones) quite often get lol'd on their initial sales pitch.

I don't feel particularly comfortable about this, but I may be alone in this and reading too much into it.  However, I do wonder whether people are getting round Rule 6 of the classifieds (and maybe general Rule 1) by doing this?  Some people (but you could say all buyers, especially professionals/dealers) have a vested interest in keeping prices as low as possible/making a sale harder and a sarcastic lol could be an underhand and insidious way of sending a message that something is priced too high (in their opinion).

I can only think that this is the intention as the seller is just listing specs and putting up photos of their guitar - just the same as the posts that don't get lol'd.  In my unscientific overview I have a feeling that it occurs more on classifieds for higher end guitars.  Maybe there is a touch of envy or something too?... I don't know, but either way what purpose does the LOL button serve in the classifieds and would the classifieds be better served without it?  
    just like the way they have lol'd your original post here mate. 

I'm going out on a limb here,but I'll hazard a guess that those lols are of the ironic persuasion.
    Yes, you are probably right.  
    The suspected ironic lol I just got genuinely made me chuckle.

:)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24853

I've just - if you'll pardon the expression - given you one as well....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • boogieman said:
    JaffaJedi said:
    JaffaJedi said:
    I have lol'd once but it was by mistake.
    I was using my mobile to read the for sale section, and hit it by mistake.
    Tried to un lol but doesnt seem that you can
    You can un Lol, just hit the Lol icon again (it'll show a larger icon if you have lol'd them. 

It it is easy on a phone to accidentally LOL someone while scrolling. 
    ah I must have hit it a few times to try and un lol
    On a mobile you have to refresh the thread first, then you can unlol, unwis or unwow. 
    Cheers now I know 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I could do with some Lols.  So here goes
    "2008 Hondo Strat (pics to follow - one day) 
    can't believe I'm doing this as this is my perfect guitar, plays like butter, naturally reliced by three year old with a hammer, re-finished in lime green emulsion, missing one string but easily replaced, link to eBay sale below, comes with carrier bag, can't believe I'm going to let this go.. £2,000"
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I could do with some Lols.  So here goes
    can't believe I'm doing this as this is my perfect guitar, plays like butter, naturally reliced by three year old with a hammer, re-finished in lime green emulsion, missing one string but easily replaced, link to eBay sale below, comes with carrier bag, can't believe I'm going to let this go.. £2,000"
    Where abouts are you chap?
    Sorry,not ironic enough.
    can't believe I'm doing this as this is my perfect guitar, plays like butter, naturally reliced by three year old with a hammer, re-finished in lime green emulsion, missing one string but easily replaced, link to eBay sale below, comes with carrier bag, can't believe I'm going to let this go.. £2,000

---I'd be all over this if only it were a 2014 7 string Ibanez that was finished in pink. GLWTS

I've just - if you'll pardon the expression - given you one as well....
     <3 
    Collection only - Scotish Isles 
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Collection only - Scotish Isles 
    Would you consider a trade for some crap I've been trying to offload for ages at an equally inflated price?
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11486
    I actually laughed at some of the responses to this but I refuse to reward such blatant fret-whoring.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom