Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lady Guitarists

What's Hot

Comments

• Rieaka Suzaku.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Humbucked I've never heard of most of these people. Why haven't they been in Guitarist? Are they not playing the kind of music that Guitarist thinks will interest its readers?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hey Phil, These players cover everything from Classical, Pop, Rock, Blues, Jazz, Metal and ' Alternative' genres. You've pointed your finger at the elephant in the room. Perhaps, the Magazines, should cast their gaze wider. Guest editors could be useful here. Of course, advertising and target marketing are how they make a living, so, things will remain conservative unless and until they realise that women actually earn and spend their own money. Some women apparently, don't spend all their disposable income on Shoes. I doubt Mohini Dey does. That said, women are quite capable of promoting their work online so, perhaps, the need for a puff from the established Magazines is less vital.                                                                                                                     Given that we are now a century since Women's Suffrage, it's more than a little ironic that there is such a wealth of talent and creativity that should be appreciated.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • @Humbucked ; I've no objection to finding out these people on youtube - in principle. However sitting down to read a mag with some info about a player I don't already know about (with the cat on my lap) comes a lot easier than sitting up on a dining chair in the other room where the computer is (and the heater isn't). My computer is old (and almost as slow as me)  and my broadband is shite. See the Guitarist thread. I'd be quite happy to read a page reviewing someone else's guitar music plus a pic and some biog. If it grabbed my attention that much I'd even get up and log on to hear the music (broadband permitting).
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    @Humbucked I've never heard of most of these people. Why haven't they been in Guitarist? Are they not playing the kind of music that Guitarist thinks will interest its readers?
    They probably don't play 1950's Les Pauls so I doubt that Guitarist readers would be interested ;)
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • Phil, Perhaps, you should invest in a cellular tablet. it could be a game changer for you and would definitely let you stay in the warm and cozy.                                                                                                          
    Plectrum, alas, you're observation may be only too true. Mary Ford, wife of Les Paul, was probably the first woman to play one of his signature guitars. She too, was a guitarist, after all.  
    Elizabeth Cotten ( Freight Train ).

• hmmmm ... no disrespect, but I think I'll finish my HiFi upgrade and then save for an ES-175 before I buy a device such as a cellular tablet. You never know, they might be cheap s/h by then ...
  • Hey Phil, Hi-Fi upgrades are always a good investment, for sure. Perhaps, though you might consider a Japanese version of the ES. The outlay you save could go toward a new cellular device. Just a thought.

Jessica Gardlund. 
  • Diane Hubka.
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 494
    Humbucked said:
    Phil, Perhaps, you should invest in a cellular tablet. it could be a game changer for you and would definitely let you stay in the warm and cozy.                                                                                                          
    Plectrum, alas, you're observation may be only too true. Mary Ford, wife of Les Paul, was probably the first woman to play one of his signature guitars. She too, was a guitarist, after all.  
    Elizabeth Cotten ( Freight Train ).

I'd completely forgotten about Mary Ford. Has anyone mentioned Maybelle Carter yet? Her technique of playing the melody on the lower three strings whilst playing rhythm on the upper three strings (known as the Carter Scratch) was very innovative in its day.
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 849
    edited February 2018
    It seems it maybe the same in Australia. When I watched the linked video I was slightly (in a male) niffed because I really thought we'd got past these sort of attitudes... maybe not!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7YX3vchu9g

The above video was done by Jen Cloher I saw her the other night... very good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woEqG9sfjUs

• Many thanks for sharing the vids. I worked in Music shops back in the 80's & 90's and can only hope things have improved. Xmas time was always interesting as the Mothers of aspiring players were invariably buying Guitars and gear for their sons.

Poison Ivy Research ( The Cramps ).

• Rosarch, not `research!
  • Tina S.
  • Humbucked said:
    Rosarch, not `research!
    Roschach.... not 'Rosarch': )
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23072
    Humbucked said:
    Rosarch, not `research!
    Rorschach, if we're being picky.  Like the inkblot test.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11970
    Cabicular said:
    Voxman said:
    Cabicular said:
    MrBump said:
    Cabicular said:
    I remember that time I got banned from Gretsch Talk
    loads of middle aged fat Americans were posting pictures of semi nude models with Gretsches and making cringeworthy comments
    i post one picture of me naked with a stratocaster and I get banned!
    its not like it wasn't covering 'the bits'

Pics, or it never happened.
    Trust me you don't want that ...
    Oh yes we do!   B)
    Don't say you weren't warned ...
    this earned me a 2 week ban ..
    https://www.gretsch-talk.com/media/slick-sales-technique.7135/
    I hope you have a trem cover on the back of that strat
  • Philly_Q said:
    Humbucked said:
    Rosarch, not `research!
    Rorschach, if we're being picky.  Like the inkblot test.
    I knew I'd get it wrong... and I checked it!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    Roseanne Cash
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Poison Ivy ink-blot just doesn't have the same ring to it, does it? Rorschach it is. Apologies for the typo.
    Mary Halvorson.