Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Contact lenses? Was "Laser eye surgery?"

What's Hot
octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33812
edited February 2017 in Off Topic
Has anyone had laser eye surgery?
Particularly interested in anyone who has had a blended vision treatment for presbyopia.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24839
    No - but I'm having a stent fitted in the periphery of my right iris soon, in the latest bid to lower my inter-ocular pressure. FML....
  • Pfftt. Laser surgery? Get one of these...

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited January 2017
    I was considering it until a friend of mine had it done and then found his eyesight deteriorated about three years after the treatment. It was great from day one - he was told this was common so maybe ask the question and check with your local opticians if they know you well. My friend was 55 when he had the procedure.

https://www.londonvisionclinic.com/2013/02/can-my-sight-get-worse-again-video/

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33812
    Fretwired said:
    I was considering it until a friend of mine had it done and then found his eyesight deteriorated about three years after the treatment. It was great from day one - he was told this was common so maybe ask the question and check with your local opticians if they know you well. My friend was 55 when he had the procedure.

https://www.londonvisionclinic.com/2013/02/can-my-sight-get-worse-again-video/

Yes that is my main concern.
    It is a lot of money to spend (although health insurance covers a lot of it) if it doesn't work.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    My sisters colleague had it done, and ended up suing as they fucked her eyes. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2465
    Yes, your eyesight may deteriorate over time, in much the same way that your glasses prescription will drift over time too.
    Most reputable firms now offer free re-do surgery for 5 years following initial surgery.

Personally, I'd try contacts before laser eye surgery, as I have heard one horror story in particular which put me off.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30931
    Octa,

I have known several cricketers have this done, every single one with disasterous consquences.

The explanation is that lasering doesn't allow the eye to do quick focal changes- hence tracking a ball onto the bat is tough.

I am -6.00 in both eyes. I was advised by Dr Sheryl Clader (google her) not to do it under any circumstances if I wanted to keep batting.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2465
    -6.00 is pretty significant, they'd need to shave a large thickness of cornea to correct that! I'm surprised anyone would even offer it to someone with eyesight that bad.

The horror story I'm aware of involved sudden, permanent, loss of sight in one eye.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Mine isn't that bad: +0.75 in my left and +0.25 in my right, this is just age related degeneration and I only need them for reading, not distance.

Maybe I'll look at contacts.
    octatonic said:
    Mine isn't that bad: +0.75 in my left and +0.25 in my right, this is just age related degeneration and I only need them for reading, not distance.

Jesus- I change that much in focal issues after one Friday night session!

Not too much to worry about.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2565
    @octatonic ;I considered it myself but after hearing that my friend needed glasses just 12 months after his (which cost £4k), I switched to contact lenses and have never looked back, pardon the pun. As a biker like yourself I find glasses a pain so always wear my contacts when riding. I can even get varifocal lenses now my prescription has changed.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012

My parents both had it done in their 70s.  My stepmother because she was getting cataracts, I can't remember if my dad had something similar.

It seems to have been successful, my dad had been a lifetime glasses wearer, it's strange seeing him without them.  He still uses reading glasses sometimes, but they're the very low strength ones you can just buy off the shelf.

I've never really considered it myself.  My prescription is about the same as @Gassage's and I'm also now reaching the point where I need varifocals, I don't know how it would cope with that.

cruxiform said:
    @octatonic ;I considered it myself but after hearing that my friend needed glasses just 12 months after his (which cost £4k), I switched to contact lenses and have never looked back, pardon the pun. As a biker like yourself I find glasses a pain so always wear my contacts when riding. I can even get varifocal lenses now my prescription has changed.
    Ok, I'll give contacts a go.

Yeah it is when riding that it most annoys- I don't need them to ride but I do if I want to check my phone when I stop, so I need to take a tang bag or tail pack with just the glasses in and then of course carry it around when I stop.

octatonic said:

Yeah it is when riding that it most annoys- I don't need them to ride but I do if I want to check my phone when I stop, so I need to take a tang bag or tail pack with just the glasses in and then of course carry it around when I stop.

Can't your missus just check it for you as you're riding?

• TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7520
    octatonic said:

that's very mild. Most laser surgery gets its best results with much larger corrections (I looked into it for myself some years back) 

+/- 0.25 would be considered a good outcome after some procedures. 
    Red ones are better. 
    edited January 2017
    octatonic said:
    cruxiform said:
    @octatonic ;;I considered it myself but after hearing that my friend needed glasses just 12 months after his (which cost £4k), I switched to contact lenses and have never looked back, pardon the pun. As a biker like yourself I find glasses a pain so always wear my contacts when riding. I can even get varifocal lenses now my prescription has changed.
    Ok, I'll give contacts a go.

They take some getting used to but after a few days it's like second nature popping them in. Consult with your optician as I'm sure you will anyway, for advice. For riding a bike it's so comfortable as not all helmets (in my experience very few) accommodate glasses well. However, that's not your problem, it's off bike but I guess you have to find a compromise.
    edited January 2017
    Daily disposables or monthly?
    Cost isn't that much of a factor but faffing about with them is.
    edited January 2017
    It's up to you but I use dailies. Always have. I get my prescription from my optician then order from  https://www.contactlenses.co.uk  I've used them for 6 years now. Very quick and reliable.
    octatonic said:
    You big wimp! I can put my lenses in whilst cleaning my teeth at the same time.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited January 2017
    Gassage said:
    octatonic said:
    You big wimp! I can put my lenses in whilst cleaning my teeth at the same time.
    That isn't what I mean- I won't mind putting them in.

I was more trying to decide how much work it takes to clean the monthly ones every day.
    I've never had contacts so I don't know how long it takes.
    If it is a 10 second process then fine, if it is 10 mins then I'll get annoyed.