Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Contact lenses? Was "Laser eye surgery?"

What's Hot

Comments

• 0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540

Out of interest, the contacts you tried unsuccessfully, were they hard or soft? I seem to be in the minority in wearing hard lenses, and perhaps they might suit your eye better?

Adam

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33813
    Kalimna said:

Out of interest, the contacts you tried unsuccessfully, were they hard or soft? I seem to be in the minority in wearing hard lenses, and perhaps they might suit your eye better?

Adam

Soft- I don't want to do hard unless I have to.

rlw said:
    I'm not doing laser eye surgery now- it isn't suitable for me.
    I'll change the thread title to reflect this.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012
    octatonic said:
    Kalimna said:

Adam

With your blinking problem I doubt you'd find hard lenses any easier to get on with than soft ones, they're certainly less comfortable.  On the other hand they are physically smaller, which may help I suppose.
    Philly_Q said:
    octatonic said:
    Kalimna said:

Adam

With your blinking problem I doubt you'd find hard lenses any easier to get on with than soft ones, they're certainly less comfortable.  On the other hand they are physically smaller, which may help I suppose.
    Yeah I won't wear them if they are uncomfortable.
    I'm going to try to persevere with soft lenses but we haven't even got one in yet so not sure that will even happen.
  • I'm glad you've given up on surgery as a solution. I'm short-sighted with a mild astigmatism and wore contact lenses on a daily basis for 25 years. Then I started getting the middle-aged reading problem and needed reading glasses. For motorcycling, it really helps to wear lenses instead of glasses for distance work. Decent peripheral vision, as well. I could put up with the slightly fuzzy speedo. These days I wear varifocals. Works fine except I need to be careful with my "lifesavers". 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I decided to get contacts after I lost my spectacles surfing.

Yes, I was not a bright child.
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11619
    tFB Trader
    Go for daily disposable lenses if you do use lenses.
    They cost more if using EVERY day but no solutions and always fresh and sterile is a good thing
    I once forgot to neutralise the peroxide solution and put a lens in my eye and regretted it

Switched to daily disposable ones after that

I can't wear them when working though as they are for distance and I need close up for guitar work

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• PVO_DavePVO_Dave Frets: 2376
    After having daily lenses initially, I moved to monthlies, but the ones you can keep in for the whole month (I think the recommendation is to take them out weekly, give them a clean and put back in).

Largely works great for me, waking up and being able to see is quite the novelty :) 

I found Boots the opticians were the best for me, but if your prescription is stable and you're having no issues, buying online is a great way of doing it.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23012

I can't wear them when working though as they are for distance and I need close up for guitar work
    @FelineGuitars have you tried multifocal contact lenses?  I've been experimenting with them recently but haven't yet hit on a prescription that works for close range.

The only way I can see clearly at close range is by taking my glasses off and holding things about six inches from my face.  Which must look pretty weird when I'm examining food labels in Sainsburys.  There's no way I could do things I used to be able to do, like drawing and my own DIY guitar repairs.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2465
    edited February 2017
    IMO the risk/benefit of laser eye surgery just doesn't make sense.
    Glasses are a minor inconvenience. Literally the best outcome you can hope for is that you can see exactly as well as you could before, just without glasses.
    Balanced against that is something like a 1 in 100 risk of chronic dry eyes and a 1 in 1000 risk of significant sight loss it's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8739
    Multifocal lenses work if your head is relatively static. If you put your head on its side, as you often do when looking at something in a workshop, then they rotate
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Roland said:
    Multifocal lenses work if your head is relatively static. If you put your head on its side, as you often do when looking at something in a workshop, then they rotate
    I wear varifocal glasses all the time now, except if on a motorbike, running or asleep.
    I don't need them for distance so the prescription is mostly clear in that part of the lense.
    It is just easier to leave them on my head than to put them on, then take them off all the time.

No problem in the workshop, except when I am wearing a face mask to stop breathing in dust- then they fog up.

• I'm about a month into wearing bifocal glasses and it's been the best decision I've made in a while! It took a couple of days to get used to the different strength in the lenses but actually being able to see/read is cool :)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11949
    octatonic said:
    Roland said:
    I wear varifocal glasses all the time now, except if on a motorbike, running or asleep.
    I don't need them for distance so the prescription is mostly clear in that part of the lense.
    It is just easier to leave them on my head than to put them on, then take them off all the time.

No problem in the workshop, except when I am wearing a face mask to stop breathing in dust- then they fog up.

he's meaning that his  multifocal contacts rotate on your eye - like astigmatism -correcting ones, so the near-vision part would move around
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11949
    I'm about a month into wearing bifocal glasses and it's been the best decision I've made in a while! It took a couple of days to get used to the different strength in the lenses but actually being able to see/read is cool :)
    bifocals or varifocals?
  • My uncle is one of the top eye surgeons. I asked him about laser eye surgery. His response: "I wear contacts/glasses. What does that tell you?" 

I didn't like contacts & went back to glasses. I never really found them comfy, but I did like then fit short bursts when doing sport. 
  • rlw said:
    Glasses are sexy. 
    Only on a woman.......................

Nah, I'm faf.