Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Celebrity privilege

What's Hot
Irritates me it does, Brooklyn Beckham landing a sweet job as fashion photographer when thousands of others with better skills are passed over, Also celebs deciding that they want to be authors and BANG, heres a book deal, fuck those that have been trying to get a foot in the door for years.

Just having an impotent moan, boo hoo.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    The most annoying thing is that their "career" choices are often validated by the general public and so they have no reason to believe that they haven't been a success. I agree, it's shit. The best we can do is try to block out that world they inhabit.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Unfortunately that's life mate. And Brooklyn Beckham is only famous because he's got famous parents. Although how his bimbo mother ever got anywhere I'll never know.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    A quick buck! I'm sure he has an interest, but the publishers are only thinking about the cash. 

Do you really think he will spend 50 years in photography or will it be a few months / years then on to something else... 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • breakstuffbreakstuff Frets: 10350
    I agree,it's shit.As soon as the words Brooklyn and Beckham appear in my field of vision I immediately skip to the next story,as I do with any other no mark 'celebritys'.

I hate this celebrity culture with a passion but unfortunately it's what many aspire to nowadays.Call me old fashioned but I just happen to think there's more worthwhile things people could be looking to achieve.
    Laugh, love, live, learn. 
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27379
    Of course it's annoying and unfair, but fashion photography is entirely about marketing, not about content. The market value of a photo goes WAY higher if it has a known model *and* photographer, even if that togger is an untalented derp (not saying he is or isn't - I genuinely have no idea)
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6401
    proggy said:
     Although how his bimbo mother ever got anywhere I'll never know.
    I think she's pretty savvy, she's the driving force behind (non-football) brand Beckham.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24528
    But 'celebrities' are interesting - to a lot of people.  Take a glance at the average newsagent's magazine shelf.  Celebrity sells, and the public are the ones buying - and craving more.

Recognition for doing something, yeah, but fame for fame's sake is as stupid as the morons queuing up to buy the magazines.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31019
    Here's a paradox.
    Jaguar Land Rover have a VIP Lease scheme.

If you are a minor celeb (e.g. James Caan) you can lease a top of the range RR Sport for c. £250 per month.

Now, why do they give this discount to those most able to afford it?

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72782
    Same reason as why rock stars get free or heavily-subsidised endorsement gear, while poor unknowns have to pay full whack and take out credit to pay for it, presumably...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Gassage said:
    Here's a paradox.

If you are a minor celeb (e.g. James Caan) you can lease a top of the range RR Sport for c. £250 per month.

It's not the money - let's face it they could easily afford full whack. It's about feeling special and recognised...
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2262
    Gassage said:
    Here's a paradox.

If it's an existential question then I have no idea. 

If it's a literal question then if someone is a minor celeb then funds whilst generous are limited, being presented with a hefty discount could seal the deal. IMHO its a good ploy by Jag-Rover plus the vehicle gets exposure ie free ads with all the pap pics. 

By the way I run a 14 yr old Golf if any motor vehicle manufacturer is reading. 
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Gassage said:
    Here's a paradox.

Cheap advertising in the areas they want to target, I guess. Presumably they don't want the likes of me as they've exhausted the depressed Welsh towns and Lidl carparks demographic.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

From what ive seen, hes a fairly accomplished photographer (youd struggle to see much difference between his fashion shots and those from a more experienced photographer), and his Dad is also a very keen photographer.

Did the fact that he is Brooklyn Beckham have anything to do with him getting the job? Yes, probably, but he does seem to know what hes doing with a camera.

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31019
    I am all in support of any kid conceived under a bridge in a slum.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12453
    Of course it's annoying and unfair, but fashion photography is entirely about marketing, not about content. The market value of a photo goes WAY higher if it has a known model *and* photographer, even if that togger is an untalented derp (not saying he is or isn't - I genuinely have no idea)
    Exactly. And to be honest, the photographer is only one link in a large chain that produces a fashion shoot. My niece by marriage is starting to make a name for herself in fashion photography in the US. She IS a decent togger but when you see the amount of people working with her, you have to wonder how much of the work is actually hers. There'll be an artistic assistant, production assistant, lighting assistant, make up stylist and hair stylist at the shoot, plus someone will do post production on the shot (i.e. Photoshop it). With someone at the top of the game (BB will doubtless work at this level no matter what his talent) I suspect the list is significantly longer. So he might have the basic idea and then get to press the shutter button when everything's set up. Whoopee. 
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3596
    The fashion industry is all about fluff over content. How many people actually dress like an ice cream cone or a salvador dali painting? Yet very rich people pay stupid amounts of money to be clad in exclusive items, some of those outfits cost more than a small family car and will be worn no more than a handful of times before being all but worthless. How can there be anything serious (other than obscene amounts of money) in the industry. We have become a nation of fools that choose to advertise the maker of our clothes and pay for the privilage, how fucked up is that! Having a famous name in the industry will open doors to people who buy into that whole concept and as such grease the flow of cash to the big names.

I'm not a fan of 'fashion' in that sense just in case you couldn't tell.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    In fairness this goes on right across society in one form or another. The 'old boys' network in the City and big law firms and even parliament. The sons of ex-Labour leaders being given safe seats - what have they done to deserve it?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4677
    Just another nonebrity, just look at the likes of i'm a Celebrity, Sugar Free Farm or any of the other pish that is on the TV these days, people famous just for being famous. Anyone from Geordie Shore or Get Essex Into Me or whatever it is called, all a bunch of talentless twats who are now famous just for being famous. We are in an age now where you dont actually have to be good at anything to be famous. 

Rant over. 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7818
    If you are competent with contacts then you will go a long way.

Everyone starting from zero and being treated equally is never going to be a reality. It's not how humans work.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12453
    edited January 2017
    ESBlonde said:
    The fashion industry is all about fluff over content. How many people actually dress like an ice cream cone or a salvador dali painting? Yet very rich people pay stupid amounts of money to be clad in exclusive items, some of those outfits cost more than a small family car and will be worn no more than a handful of times before being all but worthless. How can there be anything serious (other than obscene amounts of money) in the industry. We have become a nation of fools that choose to advertise the maker of our clothes and pay for the privilage, how fucked up is that! Having a famous name in the industry will open doors to people who buy into that whole concept and as such grease the flow of cash to the big names.

I'm not a fan of 'fashion' in that sense just in case you couldn't tell.
    The celebs that wear those clothes generally don't buy them, the designers lend them to them to get media coverage. The designers then make their money from sticking their brand name on Chinese mass produced tat sold through Primark and supermarkets