Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Celebrity privilege

What's Hot

Comments

• joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    I always smile when I see Katie Price on the tv with the words Business Woman or Author under her name

I guess they didn't see the video everyone else did?

Tbh, Doesn't hack me off too much... good luck to the kid
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It most likely is privilege but celebrity is admired just for the sake of celebrity these days too.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2483
    It's not exactly a new thing though is it? Before "Celebrity" we had "Aristocracy".
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1762

He's been hired because of who he is - and that generates interest in the company/brand/magazine/show. It will not matter a jot if he is any good at this because people will talk about it because of who it is. If they publish one of his pictures it will gain media interest and result in revenue.

No publicity is bad publicity. They of course understand that people will think it's terrible he's been given this job and will welcome any online discussion about it with open arms. Who knows it may even get discussed on an online forum for guitarists...................

Regardless of what we all think about Mrs Beckham (I'm not a fan) she is an incredible businesswoman. She was a pioneer in building a brand and business simply from her surname. Whilst this whole family brand lifestyle thing is something I don't agree with you cannot deny she's done very well. If you look at the four other spice girls I'm sure they'd love to be able to do another reunion tour again, sell the tickets and rake in the profits, whereas Victoria doesn't need to and can comfortably turn down that sort of money.

In regards to Mercedes (and the others) leasing very expensive cars to celebrities rather cheaply - it's a genius stroke in advertising for them. In the real world people will see them driving these cars (and regardless of what any of us think the majority of people aspire to copy the lifestyle and possessions of celebrities they admire). At the same time they are photographed in their cars, getting into or out of their cars, all these pictures end up in celebrity magazines or on the daily mail website viewed many thousands of times a day more often with the words "Z List Celebrity driving his/her Mercedes SLK". Essentially a nice , free advert that does work !

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7181
    edited January 2017
    It is not what you know, it is who you know.

Therefore if you are well known, you'll probably get more offers and doors will open for you.

Whether we feel this is fair or not, it is generally how society works.

• How successful has Victoria's business acumen actually been, though? She is married to a man who has made a huuuuuge amount of money, plus her own "musical" career earned piles of cash too. 
    How far past simple vanity projects do her businesses really stretch?

Not a rhetorical question, btw

• SporkySporky Frets: 28875
    joeyowen said:
    I always smile when I see Katie Price on the tv with the words Business Woman or Author under her name

I've not seen it, but at a guess it involves shagging.

I would suggest that most women in business and women authors have shagged, and most probably enjoyed it. That's really not unusual or weird.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • How successful has Victoria's business acumen actually been, though? She is married to a man who has made a huuuuuge amount of money, plus her own "musical" career earned piles of cash too. 

A quick google suggests she's doing pretty well:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/businessclub/people/11188510/Victoria-Beckham-named-UKs-top-entrepreneur-worth-210m.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/enterprise/11882076/How-rich-are-the-Beckhams-Wealthier-than-the-Queen.html

• Would Dweezil Zappa be famous on his own merits?

If you examine it closely do you hold one set of beliefs for famous people you think are somehow worthy and another for those who arent?

To be honest coming from that kind of wealth and access to educatino / opportunities etc that the Bechams have it's in a way less surprising to hear that the kid is succesful. I mean how dumb woud you have to be to fail after that kind of advantage?
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    How successful has Victoria's business acumen actually been, though? She is married to a man who has made a huuuuuge amount of money, plus her own "musical" career earned piles of cash too. 

The key was breaking america, which made them bigger than either his football legacy or her "singing" career justified. A great example of them begin famous for being famous. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2171
    The mara sisters agitate me, as I genuinely think they are both terrible actresses. And Camilla Long is just awful.

I'm sure I read an article discussing the fact that less and less working class kids are going into the arts. As they are strugglng to make ends meet, whereas some kids have the financial backing or a comfort blanket to fall back onto.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    Boo hoo, somebody else got a step up in life. As it happens, we are all 'lottery winners' in that none of us were born into poverty, starvation or a country with an oppressive/evil regime. 

You want to talk Celebrity Privilege - look where it got Jimmy Saville (and his victims).
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7348
    and empty-head bimbos having their own investigative-journalistic BBC3 series...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • people can get on with their lives. it doesnt hurt me. Be grateful for you have got. be grateful if you are alive and have got decent health, family and a roof over your head. Whatever you have got can be taken away and destroyed at a moments notice. we all die in the end so make the best of your time. breath, love and play guitar.
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I don't really object to celebrity privilege.  It's a world apart from me and I don't buy into any of it, so I'm outside of their money roundabout. 

I do object to Sharon Osbourne banning most Ozzy stuff from YouTube though, especially when I've paid for all his albums.

I also object to having to pay a TV licence fee when they waste it on celebrities and I don't watch BBC, although this isn't so much celebrity privilege as much as it is extortion and ineptitude.

I also object to having to pay a council tax rise when it much of it goes in services and benefits to children and the elderly who buy into the celebrity roundabout and waste their money and time on them..
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
  • joeyowen said:

Tbh, Doesn't hack me off too much... good luck to the kid

Even worse, Karen Brady.
  • Gassage said:
    Here's a paradox.
    Jaguar Land Rover have a VIP Lease scheme.

If you are a minor celeb (e.g. James Caan) you can lease a top of the range RR Sport for c. £250 per month.

Now, why do they give this discount to those most able to afford it?
    James Caan was great in Rollerball and The Godfather.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3102
    She's a Dame you know. I wonder what that makes Pesch - he can't be a Sir?
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Gassage said:
    Here's a paradox.
    Jaguar Land Rover have a VIP Lease scheme.

If you are a minor celeb (e.g. James Caan) you can lease a top of the range RR Sport for c. £250 per month.

Now, why do they give this discount to those most able to afford it?
    I wouldn't call James Caan a minor celeb .. he's a big cheese in Hollywood and still makes films .. Nazim Khan on the other hand ... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!