Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

2 phones? One work one personal?

What's Hot
Do you run two phones- one personal, one business?
I had two phones in my last sales job and found it a nuisance taking them both everywhere, but having just started a new sales/fitting job on a self employed basis I'm just using my own phone and getting business cards printed with that number on it and am now having second thoughts.
What do you do?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    edited January 2017
    2 phones - means I can choose when work can contact me
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    I run two phones. It can be a pain but I like to turn my work phone off in the evenings and weekends. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3907
    I have two (too). My personal mobile always takes precedence and I regularly get bollockings for not answering 'the work' phone as its normally sat on my desk when I'm doing something more important (like having a poo).
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Yes. Although my work phone was last switched on about 6 months ago. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28267
    I've always let work pay for my phone, but provided my own handset. Android and iOS both let you assign numbers as work or not work, and then set schedules for who can contact you when so it's not too hard to manage.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5498
    I'm working for a company but on a self employed basis so I am effectively running my own business and therefore customers can contact me.
    Do electricians/plumbers etc run two phones I wonder?
    My OnePlus 2 is dual SIM but I don't think you can run both at once unfortunately. That would be ideal.
  • DiscoStu said:
    My OnePlus 2 is dual SIM but I don't think you can run both at once unfortunately. That would be ideal.
    I was wondering about dual SIM too, hoping it was possible to have the phone running against both at one time - so you can receive calls from either, and when you want to make a call you can choose a default or explicitly choose the other SIM.
    DiscoStu said:
    I was wondering about dual SIM too, hoping it was possible to have the phone running against both at one time - so you can receive calls from either, and when you want to make a call you can choose a default or explicitly choose the other SIM.
    Exactly. How great would that be? But I think you have to manually select between them to make one on and one off, but not both on.
  • 2 phones, it's annoying as I prefer IPhone but work is a dirty Android. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    Sporky said:
    I've always let work pay for my phone, but provided my own handset. Android and iOS both let you assign numbers as work or not work, and then set schedules for who can contact you when so it's not too hard to manage.
    Pretty much this, but I haven't bothered to set separate "Do not disturb"s - I just let people know that they should feel free to contact me out of hours if it's an emergency (with the unspoken corollary that non-urgent out of hours contact will be viewed very dimly).
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6391
    DiscoStu said:
    DiscoStu said:
    Exactly. How great would that be? But I think you have to manually select between them to make one on and one off, but not both on.
    You'd need 2 radios on board the phone - in effect 2 phones in 1 - battery life would be abysmal.  Not a reality yet. 
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27006
    I have one. 

Do not disturb is essential and I have notifications for work email set to beep only and no popups or banners or big red numbers because otherwise I go insane. 

And with all that I still have no work life balance. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    edited January 2017
    Oo! From the pcadvisor review!

"The OnePlus 2 is also a dual-SIM phone and, although it's dual-standby rather than dual-active, we were impressed to find that both SIMs operate on 4G. Dual-SIM phones are becoming increasingly popular in the UK if traffic to our best dual-SIM phones article is anything to go by. Dual-standby means that although you can use either SIM for mobile data, you must set a preference for which one you want to use before you go online. For calls and texts you can also set a preference, or get the OnePlus 2 to ask which SIM you want to use before the call is connected or message is sent. With both SIMs on standby, you'll be able to answer calls and receive texts on either number, but only one number can accept a call at once."
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28267
    LoFi said:
    Sporky said:
    Pretty much this, but I haven't bothered to set separate "Do not disturb"s - I just let people know that they should feel free to contact me out of hours if it's an emergency (with the unspoken corollary that non-urgent out of hours contact will be viewed very dimly).
    To be fair I've not bothered setting it up on the new phone - the only person who was likely to abuse it isn't here any more.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • gavin_axecastergavin_axecaster Frets: 526
    tFB Trader
    A dual-standby phone has both sims active - either will receive or make calls without having to switch or reboot. The only problem is if you are using one line and a call comes in for the other it won't ring, it will just not connect and I assume go to voicemail.
    http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/test-centre/mobile-phone/best-two-sim-phone-20-best-dual-sim-phones-2017-uk-3511526/
    You can also buy dual-sim adapters for some phones that adds this functionality, although some are a bit of a McGyver affair in that the sims get hidden behind a case/cover with a connector going to the sim slot.
    http://www.magic-sim.com/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @DiscoStu I wonder if the OnePlus3 has that setup too?
    @DiscoStu I wonder if the OnePlus3 has that setup too?
    It does, I saw it on a OP3 review first earlier.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cnet.com/uk/google-amp/news/what-you-need-to-know-about-using-two-sim-cards-on-the-oneplus-3/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    Sporky said:
    LoFi said:
    Sporky said:
    To be fair I've not bothered setting it up on the new phone - the only person who was likely to abuse it isn't here any more.
    I did (once) make a formal complaint about a salesguy repeatedly calling me out of hours (and whilst on holiday) for trivial stuff, but this was only after months of saying things like "This doesn't sound particularly urgent, can we discuss tomorrow?" *

* - Or on one occasion, having had a few jars:
    "Can this wait till tomorrow, I'm working on something else right now?"
    "Oh sure, what are you working on?"
    "My girlfriend. Bye."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13941
    edited January 2017
    people who carry 2 phones are drug dealers, FACT

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom