Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Commuting, how long is too long?

What's Hot

Comments

• hotpothotpot Frets: 846
    In all my working life I  never had a job that was more than 5 miles from my house. I tried it once & after the first week I said Nah! I'm away out of here. It made just getting up in the morning to face that commute a misery, I would have seriously lost my marbles, I couldn't hack it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    edited February 2017
    Cheers guys I think my mind is made up. The pay rise isn't enough to make it worthwhile. I can still freelance there on days off if I really want to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZ said:
    Cheers guys I think my mind is made up. The pay rise isn't enough to make it worthwhile. I can still freelance there on days off if I really want to.
    Yeah, complete no brainer imo, family first that's all there is too it. I'd be real lonely being away for 16 hrs a day....no job is worth that. Time is worth more than any salary.
  • I think you've made the right decision.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    edited February 2017
    I was offered a job where the commute was Leeds to Glasgow, shift was 7pm to 7am 3 days a week. I would have had to stay in a hotel etc but I could have made triple my current salary.

Couldn't bring myself to do it in the end. It would have made me ill and although my wife supported me I don't think she would have been happy on her own with children for all that time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    If you are commuting in the opposite direction to the masses so the train is half empty then it isn't nearly as bad as standing room only. When I first started Feline I used to have to do Croydon to Surbiton on the train which entailed going to Clapham Junction and then back pout again . The Croydon to Clapham stretch was hell as it was crowded as it was in the direction of major commuter travel , but the Clapham to Surbiton stretch was nice as the train was empty both in the morning and evening.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

I'd be with the masses I'm afraid - getting the train down to St pancras for about 9:15 then a tube to Waterloo to get there for 10am.

The only easy and cheap ones would be night shifts and evenings - the long day shifts are a 10pm finish so that ones fairly empty.
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4917
    I think you've made the right decision.
    Me too, especially if it's your first child.

Accepting that there's never enough money when you're bringing up kids, you never get that time back.

All the best with the littl'un when she/he arrives.
  • I'm currently doing that now (mid-Kent to West London). I leave my house at around 5:20am (up at 4:50am) and if I get the train, I'll get to work at around 07:30am if I'm lucky. If I ride the motorbike to work, it's about 1hr 45mins and is a 165 mile round trip. Believe me, either way is draining, not to mention expensive. The winter months especially are very trying. I've almost given up riding the motorbike to work in winter now. The mental exhaustion when I get into work makes me feel like I've done a days work already. The train is bearable as I can read, listen to music or just sleep if I'm really shattered. I'd love to give it up but it's just not do-able at the moment.
    One thing you need to ask yourself is, with the extra cost of travelling by train, how much really will you be better off. My fares cost me almost £6,000 a year. I'd imagine your fares would be something similar if it's Northants. I'd factor that in to your salary and see what you're earning now and how much more you'll be on (minus the £6000) and take it from there. if it's only a couple of grand, forget it. Its just not worth it.
    Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

• SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    Young child? No. You will never see him/her. 
    My theoretical commute now is 1h 20mins, always more and hardly see the kids, changing it in March after 15 years the best decision I ever made.
    Quality of life >>> money.

• BRISTOL86BRISTOL86 Frets: 1920
    16 hours a day out the house? Not a chance I'd consider that even for considerably more money personally with a young family! 
  • TonyRTonyR Frets: 908
    Anything over an hour each way is too much...
    We are all Chameleons...
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    I gave up an hour's commute (each way), for a 15 minute (at the most) and less pay. I'm now much happier, and always home by 6-30 in the evening (at the latest) and am not spunking £200/month on petrol/travel costs. 

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11594
    tFB Trader
    If you spend a lot of time and a lot of money commuting the salary really has to be good to make up for the lost hours. 
    Also in the most part you are living to work rather than working to live.
    Unless that job is deeply vocational it just seems a bit much.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• FosterFoster Frets: 1100
    My cousin commutes to London each week - all because he moved branch.

Started with company in London, moved there, met girl, told company he'll leave if he can't work at the other branch closer to his girlfriend's family. They said "no worries", transferred him to the other branch where he settled down with his partner and bought a lovely house. Then the branch closed...

He now has to commute to London from Copenhagen each week.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cruxiformcruxiform Frets: 2555
    mike_l said:
    I gave up an hour's commute (each way), for a 15 minute (at the most) and less pay. I'm now much happier, and always home by 6-30 in the evening (at the latest) and am not spunking £200/month on petrol/travel costs. 
    Wis'd. Same for me. I used to commute to South London from Surrey for 4 years and it would take me around 1.5 hours so 3 hours of my day was spent driving. My current job is less pay but it takes me 20 minutes each way. Much happier and I think that's what's it's all about. Being happy.
  • Commuting is fucking shit. 
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3322
    With a baby on the way no way in hell would I do it. My little girl is now 10 months old. I don't see her in the morning and only get 1.5hrs of an evening and my commute is only 20mins. 

Youll miss loads and surely your new family is more important than a job. I don't particularly like my job, would love a different one but I'll stick this one out until she's older.  

Yep that's the conclusion I'm coming to!