Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone sold off their CD collection?

What's Hot
I just don't use physical CD's anymore and I could use the space. As an experiment I sold a set of 30 CD's via an eBay auction, they had a common theme (Britpop / Indie) and were popular (classic) albums in great condition. £10.50 I got. Wow, I thought the value would be at least 50p per disc.

Where's the best place to offload a few hundred CD's whilst getting the best value?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I don't have the time and half the jewel cases are cracked. I STILL need to do it. I think I have 3-4 crates worth.
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12366
    Do a spreadsheet of what you've got and stick them in the classifieds here, you might shift some. I still buy cds, I suspect a lot of the old codgers on here do too. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Maybe do a car boot sale ?

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72358
    You realise that getting rid of the CDs while keeping the ripped files is illegal? Technical point I know… and in any case, currently even ripping the CDs for your own use is illegal! 

Selling job lots isn't going to be the best way to get maximum value even if it's much less hassle. Most buyers aren't going to want most of them so they're basically just bidding for the small number they do want.

I still buy a lot of CDs too - if you can be bothered to list them I'm sure you'll get some takers. You won't be able to get much more than about £2 plus postage for anything that isn''t rare though. Anything that doesn't sell, just take to a charity shop. That's where I buy most of mine.

I have also considered getting rid of the jewel cases - a CD plus the paperwork takes up less than a third of the space in a box - but the problem for me is that I do want them accessible sometimes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    ICBM said:
    You realise that getting rid of the CDs while keeping the ripped files is illegal? Technical point I know… and in any case, currently even ripping the CDs for your own use is illegal! 

Selling job lots isn't going to be the best way to get maximum value even if it's much less hassle. Most buyers aren't going to want most of them so they're basically just bidding for the small number they do want.

I still buy a lot of CDs too - if you can be bothered to list them I'm sure you'll get some takers. You won't be able to get much more than about £2 plus postage for anything that isn''t rare though. Anything that doesn't sell, just take to a charity shop. That's where I buy most of mine.

I have also considered getting rid of the jewel cases - a CD plus the paperwork takes up less than a third of the space in a box - but the problem for me is that I do want them accessible sometimes.
    Yes indeed, no longer use ripped files. I think you're right, I may list them on here, then take a bath on the crap at the end. I'll add it to the list of jobs........
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    The sentimental me will be keeping all my R.E.M. and Steely Dan CD's, the only two artists I have the entire back catalog of! I wonder how many more sentimental finds there will be when I go through them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7328
    I was going to do it when I moved house but I couldn't bring myself to. I can still listen in the car, and it's hard to sell a CD for 21p when I originally bought it for £10.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28338
    I still like CDs. Mine will be with me until I'm gone from this mortal coil, along with all my old vinyl. I just can't fully embrace the hollow experience of buying downloads.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14264
    tFB Trader
    could not sell them at all - someone else can sort it out when I'm gone - still own my vinyl but have to confess I no longer have a record player
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3298
    I sold loads here for £1 per disc using email and a spreadsheet.
  • could not sell them at all - someone else can sort it out when I'm gone - still own my vinyl but have to confess I no longer have a record player
    ooo what ya doing with your vinyl?
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I much prefer CDs in digipak or even better, in mini vinyl card sleeve format. I wish all CDs would have come like this.
  • could not sell them at all - someone else can sort it out when I'm gone - still own my vinyl but have to confess I no longer have a record player
    I was same until Mrs bought me a Lenco L85 for xmas - vinyl still the best.

The Lenco also has usb for direct recording also. Massive boon, check em out 
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I sold a big bunch, over time, on Amazon, before they changed the process for sellers, which i didn't resign up/agree to. I could make a decent amount on rarer ones, selling some in double figures.
  • Babones said:
    I much prefer CDs in digipak or even better, in mini vinyl card sleeve format. I wish all CDs would have come like this.
    Agreed, plastic cases take up a lot of space. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72358
    Babones said:
    Jewel cases really are a pain. I've looked into alternative packaging - there are some you can get which are vinyl sleeves that hold the disc and the original paperwork so you can still see the titles in a folded section on the ends, and which looked ideal… until I worked out the cost for 1500+ albums, let alone capacity for that to increase. 

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Actually I remember 80% of my CDs are now in a bunch of pouches. The jewel cases were a pain.
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Keep because selling them and keeping the rips is breaking copyright. And I like the idea of being able to listen in a different format at some point in the future.

Also, the main stereo in my house is about 18 years old so have no connectivity at all.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11877
    edited February 2017
    Here is the thing...

If you ever think about buying CD, get it on Amazon, not because of their delivery but because for most albums you get digital MP3 in your account, so you don't even need to rip it yourself and when you sell the CD, you still own the MP3.

It's yours forever, on cloud, never can be lost.

It even works for Vinyl.

• It's yours forever, on cloud, never can be lost.

When you replace "cloud" with what it really means---"someone else's computer"---that sentence doesn't ring so true anymore. 

I'm a big fan of the Amazon music thing but anything which isn't 100% under my control I assume is volatile and liable to be lost at somepoint. 

Hard drives and flash memory is cheap. Make backups. Don't rely on other people's computers for anything you'd regret not having anymore. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom