Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone sold off their CD collection?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 7868
    List them in classifieds.  I might might buy a few.  
    Injust bought a new(ish) SAD CD player.  Still like a bit of good hi-fi....   
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Gulliver said:
    When at someone's house - it's important to check out CD/DVD/Book collections.  If all they've got are Spice Girls CDs, reality TV star workout DVDs and Mein Kampf on the shelves - you know to break off ties...
    ...or vote them in as the next US President. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5001
    Digipaks are a nightmare.  So many get damaged in transport and you can't replace the trays like you can with jewel case. 

I've sold a small amount, maybe 2-300 off to a friend who sells CD and vinyl but still have thousands left. I probably bought 150 LPs last year and 3 CDs. 

I don't have a problem with MP3s - sound quality is not important in rush hour on the tube. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Mark_RMark_R Frets: 79
    10-12 years ago many of you would have bought an ipod or MP3 player ripped hundreds of your CD's on the lowest quality setting you could get away with.  Storage was a premium back then so perhaps before you consign your old CD's to the never never land, perhaps re-rip at a higher rate?

I still get the CD's as its only £1 extra these days and it does sound better in the stereo as opposed to the normal Itunes song quality and I own it and can do with it what I like.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72345
    Mark_R said:
    10-12 years ago many of you would have bought an ipod or MP3 player ripped hundreds of your CD's on the lowest quality setting you could get away with.  Storage was a premium back then so perhaps before you consign your old CD's to the never never land, perhaps re-rip at a higher rate?
    I still do. My iPod is only 160GB, and I have over 140GB of music even at 128kbps, so any higher bit rate isn't compatible with being able to carry my whole library on it.

Furthermore, on the playback equipment I normally use, anything higher is irrelevant anyway.

When there are 320GB iPods I'll be able to use 256kbps if I want to, although probably by then I'll have more music...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    ICBM said:

When there are 320GB iPods I'll be able to use 256kbps if I want to, although probably by then I'll have more music...
    Dumb question, showing how out of touch I am.... do they still make iPods?  I get the - probably erroneous - impression people use their phones as music players nowadays.
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:

Dumb question, showing how out of touch I am.... do they still make iPods?  I get the - probably erroneous - impression people use their phones as music players nowadays.
    They don't make the 160GB iPod Classic any more. They do a 128GB iPod Touch, but that's not big enough.

They also do a 256GB iPhone 7, but that's still not enough for me to go up to 256kbps for my whole collection... and it's also £800! They may do a 256GB Touch, possibly - I haven't checked recently, but the same applies.

I know there are other, cheaper, phones available too but I don't know of any with more than 256GB either, so for now my iPod is still the best solution.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    Well this thread has been useful - such little value in them, and time I haven't got to list them all, that I've decided to keep most of them. I've had a good rummage through and am just getting rid of all those oddities that you seem to acquire over time - I mean, no one needs a Semisonic CD, and as much as I love Superstar as a pop single, it's a bit of a stretch to own a Jemilia album!

It's cleared a load of space anyhow and trimmed my collection back to what my tastes really represent, which has been quite cathartic.

I won't insult anyone here with listing what I'm getting rid of, will just do a charity shop run with them.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Sporky said:
    Rocker said:
    Most of the music is lost in the ripping process
    No, it isn't. And I would happily bet 50p and a chunky KitKat that you couldn't reliably tell CD from 320kbps MP3 in a fair test.
    Where does all that information go to then?  Discarded thats what.  MP3s are useful for internet videos where sound quality really does not matter anyway.  But run an MP3 file into a decent DAC and you will hear what it is that I am trying to say.  I only wish it were otherwise my friend but it is not.  Drop the 50p into a charity shop on my behalf and, as we are still friends, eat the KitKat yourself.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

I really don't find mp3 a problem. I'm not sitting down and listening to it like I would a CD or a vinyl album, I'm listening to it as background while I work like I would a radio.

No *music* is lost - there are still the same number of notes and instruments. Some sound quality information is certainly lost, but given that the playback is usually either via a 1950s Goodmans mono speaker in the corner of the room (home workshop) or literally through a small guitar amp on the bench (shop), you couldn't tell the difference between a CD and a 128kbps mp3 anyway. Anything higher is simply a waste of disk space. Even listening in the house from the computer on an old hi-fiamp and speakers isn't in ideal conditions and it's quite hard to tell the difference.

So I keep the CDs for if I want to listen to music properly, and if I ever want to re-rip them at higher quality if the capacity of portable devices ever gets big enough. Otherwise, I'm really not fussed - the music and how much of it I can store is far more important to me than the sound quality.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dindude said:
    I mean, no one needs a Semisonic CD...
    I could go off you...! Feeling Strangly Fine is still brilliant. Bah!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom