Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Anyone sold off their CD collection?

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    edited February 2017

It's yours forever, on cloud, never can be lost.

When you replace "cloud" with what it really means---"someone else's computer"---that sentence doesn't ring so true anymore. 

I'm a big fan of the Amazon music thing but anything which isn't 100% under my control I assume is volatile and liable to be lost at somepoint. 

Hard drives and flash memory is cheap. Make backups. Don't rely on other people's computers for anything you'd regret not having anymore. 
    Well...in theory, once you sold the CD you've lost it anyway so you shouldn't even be able to listen to it anymore...

And...it doesn't stop you ripping it before selling it.  Which I thought is obvious and did not need pointing out?

So, the Cloud is a bonus, the the ONLY reason, your concerns although valid for any cloud base service, is kinda irrelevant and to be honest, they have more protection for data lost and warning to shutting down their services than you have in terms of back up in your home.  One could make the argument that 1 fire or theft would mean you lose it all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    Here is the thing...

If you ever think about buying CD, get it on Amazon, not because of their delivery but because for most albums you get digital MP3 in your account, so you don't even need to rip it yourself and when you sell the CD, you still own the MP3.

It even works for Vinyl.
    Hmm, I'll believe that when I see it.   If I live that long.  

I simply do not trust the brave new world philosophy of "oh, every album, film etc ever made will be available for streaming so no-one ever needs to own anything any more".  For a start it's simply not true, many thousands of things are simply not available to stream or download and who's to say Amazon, or Spotify, or Netflix or whatever will always be there?

There are also quite a lot of albums, even brand new ones, on Amazon which don't come with the Autorip copy.

Getting back to the CDs question, I used to sell CDs (and, mostly, DVDs) on Amazon Marketplace but the market is effectively dead.  There are a few things which command high prices - although I don't know if anyone pays those prices - but a great many things are listed at prices of 1p - which means you lose money after selling fees and postage. 

There is also Music Magpie, who will ever so kindly condescend to take things off your hands for about 28p if you can be bothered to go through the tedious process of trying to list them (you get replies like "we are not buying that title at the moment".  Oh really?  Fuck you then.)  It takes forever and is not worth the hassle unless you really enjoy being patronised.

I'm pretty much resigned to just donating things to charity shops if I ever have a clearout.  And even they'll probably say region 1 and region 3 DVDs?  Fuck off.
    I never said just buy the MP3, I said the MP3 comes with the album that you buy physically.

a bonus.

Why are you objecting free stuff?  You will always have the CD anyway....always be able to back it up yourself.

• It's yours forever, on cloud, never can be lost.

When you replace "cloud" with what it really means---"someone else's computer"---that sentence doesn't ring so true anymore. 

I'm a big fan of the Amazon music thing but anything which isn't 100% under my control I assume is volatile and liable to be lost at somepoint. 

Hard drives and flash memory is cheap. Make backups. Don't rely on other people's computers for anything you'd regret not having anymore. 
    Well...in theory, once you sold the CD you've lost it anyway so you shouldn't even be able to listen to it anymore...

And...it doesn't stop you ripping it before selling it.  Which I thought is obvious and did not need pointing out?

So, the Cloud is a bonus, the the ONLY reason, your concerns although valid for any cloud base service, is kinda irrelevant and to be honest, they have more protection for data lost and warning to shutting down their services than you have in terms of back up in your home.  One could make the argument that 1 fire or theft would mean you lose it all.

---firstly, you implied that the cloud was the only backup needed. You might not have meant to, but you did. 

Secondly, a fire in my home isn't going to wipe out the hard drive in my desk at work, or, indeed, the cloud backup that I have in addition to my own hardware. 
    Your argument about fire at work and at home is exactly why Cloud is safe, you'd think they hold everything in a single location?

I didn't point it out because it is obvious that is something you can do !!! You have the CD don't ya?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Your argument about fire at work and at home is exactly why Cloud is safe, you'd think they hold everything in a single location?
    And you think they're going to be in business forever, guaranteed? Hmm. 

• DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3905
    I sold the majority of mine and gave the proceeds to my mate's wife who has terminal cancer. She used it for a trip to France. Better than getting next to nowt from Music Magpie.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Cloud storage may be safe but access can be revoked any time, the service can be withdrawn, basically you are swapping ownership of a recording on CD for a rental agreement.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • The only time I use CDs these days is in the car. 
    And when I get a new car... I'll never use CDs or any physical medium.
    Same for DVDs - it's just a waste of space. 
    I'd rather pay a bit more to keep a less-cluttered place to live.
  • I honestly haven't played a CD for years. I still have loads of them though, and don't plan to get rid. They donl't take up that much room and look nice on the the shelf.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    I never said just buy the MP3, I said the MP3 comes with the album that you buy physically.

a bonus.

For the life of me I cannot see how a free MP3 is a 'bonus'. Most of the music is lost in the ripping process so the MP3 is, at best, only a weak shadow of the original. A bit like calling a scratchplate a guitar..
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Your argument about fire at work and at home is exactly why Cloud is safe, you'd think they hold everything in a single location?
    And you think they're going to be in business forever, guaranteed? Hmm. 

We'll be dead before they go bust.
    edited February 2017
    Rocker said:

a bonus.

For the life of me I cannot see how a free MP3 is a 'bonus'. Most of the music is lost in the ripping process so the MP3 is, at best, only a weak shadow of the original. A bit like calling a scratchplate a guitar..
    I'll elaborate, again, I didn't before because I thought it is obvious.

You buy a CD or a Vinyl.  You get

Highest quality.

So....you get home, you rip it lossless at your heart's content.

On top of that, there is a copy of MP3 on the cloud, as a bonus, even if you sell the record, house burns down, your office burn down.

You can also access it anywhere with internet connection, not having to carry it with you in any shape or form.  No doubt you'll argue about quality, but having music in an listenable quality is better than not having any music in lossless quality 3,000 miles away at home is it not?

Having the cloud is not a restrictions you cannot do the 2 former.  Where did I say you can't rip it?
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    I don't have any issues with the MP3 quality from Amazon. I buy the CDs from there too. Technically though, are you *sure* you own them if you get rid of the CD? I didn't think that was the case.
  • Does noone else think you're CD collection is quite pretty siitting on a shelf? And  having a gander through other people's CDs is quite an interesting thing to do? 

To the OP. I agree with others. Don't sell them in bulk, or don't use music magpie. Spend an hour creating a spreadsheet and fire it up here. 1 quid a disc and you'll make ALOT more money than doing it via eBay. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22837
    funkyfraz said:
    Does noone else think you're CD collection is quite pretty siitting on a shelf? And  having a gander through other people's CDs is quite an interesting thing to do? 

I agree.  My problem is the shelves were filled years ago and I'm running out of flat surfaces to put new piles of CDs (and Blu-rays, books and magazines) on.  It has to end some day or I'll be buried.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    funkyfraz said:
    Does noone else think you're CD collection is quite pretty siitting on a shelf? And  having a gander through other people's CDs is quite an interesting thing to do? 
    When at someone's house - it's important to check out CD/DVD/Book collections.  If all they've got are Spice Girls CDs, reality TV star workout DVDs and Mein Kampf on the shelves - you know to break off ties...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I still buy music. I like to have the cd. So if you put them up I might have a few. I would any Hendrix ones that are not greatest hits.

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

• SporkySporky Frets: 28207
    Rocker said:
    Most of the music is lost in the ripping process
    No, it isn't. And I would happily bet 50p and a chunky KitKat that you couldn't reliably tell CD from 320kbps MP3 in a fair test.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2928

I'm of the exact same stance. Selling off all my CDs and vinyl and putting all my eggs in Spotify's basket sounds bonkers to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom