Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Lazy J20 hype ...

What's Hot

Comments

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    edited February 2017 tFB Trader
    When I looked inside a J20 I was surprised how close it was to the standard 5E3.
    Now I can't say I've checked every single component value, but the resistors appeared stock, and the capacitors, whilst having their values erased, were identifiable by their sizes, and it all looked stock to me, barring an extra filtration stage which may well be to account for the trem and reverb current draw, but will also tighten and brighten the preamp slightly.

I hold no jealousy or other negative feelings here. It's not Jesse's prices that are wrong, but the rest of us being too cheap! Good luck to him, and long may he ride the hype train. I mean hype in a positive way; no one will succeed without some element of hype, myself included.
     I admire his ear and ability to put together an amp that has grabbed the market in such a way. Of course, there's an element of 'right place, right time' involved, but you don't get to be as successful as him without talent and hard work.

However, let's put some of the mythology to bed: it's a pretty standard circuit, well assembled, no magic. Other builders can do it too. Otherwise we're heading down the road of believing that only Ken Fischer can build an Express,  and only original Klons sound like Klons.

To those who challenge 'why don't you do it, if it's so easy?' It's simple: Building the amp is easy, selling them isn't, running the business isn't, making contacts isn't.  Nor would I copy the J20 just to make sales. That would not be cool. However if I got asked to make a tweaked 5E3, I would, and would happily stand it up against a J20. I've done alright, and my prices were inching up to where they should have been, but without a name user, you can only go so far in a market where that kind of thing is so important.

Also, just to clarify something I'm stopping building due to relocation, not due to lack of success; in fact my last year (also my 10th year of trading) will be my most successful. I may restart once we're settled, and I can pay Jesse no better compliment than to say that,  if I do, I will try to emulate his business model!  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11462
    There are plenty of UK cab builders though. Why not just get them made over here? Or better still, make them himself? Seems unnecessary having them made in the USA. Actually, maybe I'll contact him. I could make a good few of those cabs a week if I set up the jigs and templates. :-) 
    I'm pretty sure he did make the cabs on the early ones himself.  I don't think he had enough time in the day though to keep up with demand while he was making them himself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2583
    tFB Trader
    hold on @martinw are you saying Ken Fischer could not hear the color of the insulation :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6841
    tFB Trader
    crunchman said:
    There are plenty of UK cab builders though. Why not just get them made over here? Or better still, make them himself? Seems unnecessary having them made in the USA. Actually, maybe I'll contact him. I could make a good few of those cabs a week if I set up the jigs and templates. :-) 
    I'm pretty sure he did make the cabs on the early ones himself.  I don't think he had enough time in the day though to keep up with demand while he was making them himself.
    That's correct @crunchman he did.
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • richhrichh Frets: 453
    I've been waiting for a new J20 since July, and it should be finished this week.  I have played one before, about 2 years ago, and loved it, but have to admit it was both and incremental improvement and also a certain 'something' I just couldn't really quantity or pin down.  But often when there is a great hype about something, I can't really see what the fuss is about.  In this case, ultimately I was prepared to shell out a lot of cash for one, so that is the acid test of 'is it worth it'.

Of course I haven't played my actual amp yet, and it may be that the speaker takes a bit of time to bed in properly.
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    hold on @martinw are you saying Ken Fischer could not hear the color of the insulation :)

I know, heresy! FFS don't tell TGP....
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283
    I've found this a very interesting thread. 

I dont own own a Lazy J - never tried one but every tweed amp I've tried hasn't been my thing 

this year I did shell out a couple of grand on a Carr Skylark. 

Im sure the same points could be levelled against that. 

But honestly Everytime I play it I absolutely love it - not once have I begrudged the money 

so for for me it's worth it
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 896
    edited February 2017
    Can anybody link some decent clips / vids of this amp?

I asked the same thing on a recent similar thread and was met with silence, which only adds (I'm sure wrongly) to the notion that there is more hype than substance.

I have to say that what I've seen / heard so far has been distinctly lack-lustre IMO and really would love to have them impress me.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkGCvLstPrE

Jo Bo stated on another forum that he was no longer using them, gave them away, complained that they kept blowing up apparently, probably the les paul forum???

They did sound good at the London guitar show last year.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11884
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkGCvLstPrE

Jo Bo stated on another forum that he was no longer using them, gave them away, complained that they kept blowing up apparently, probably the les paul forum???

They did sound good at the London guitar show last year.
    I read that comment about them blowing up by him.  I won't dispute it but it seems there are plenty of professionals who uses them all the time without such problems?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I have no idea, just pointing out the Joe does not actually use them anymore, before people jump on the Joe love/hate bandwagon

It is cool in the UK, so valve amps will always be happier here.....

• LewLew Frets: 1657
    Gadget said:

I asked the same thing on a recent similar thread and was met with silence, which only adds (I'm sure wrongly) to the notion that there is more hype than substance.

I have to say that what I've seen / heard so far has been distinctly lack-lustre IMO and really would love to have them impress me.
    Just type 5e3 into youtube and pick your favourite 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    edited February 2017
    Gadget said:

There's a fair bit of gassing in this one and it's all about the guitar really, but he plays it through a J20:

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30301
    So, the general consensus seems to be that you're a deeply bitter, twisted, envious and grudging individual.
     :) 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    Sassafras said:
    So, the general consensus seems to be that you're a deeply bitter, twisted, envious and grudging individual.
     :) 
    Hit the nail right on the head. It's as if my own dear mother was speaking about me. ;-) 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11943
    I had  several 5e3 derived  amps from Wienbrock
    His business model did not work, even though the ME4  was exceptional.  4 x 6L6 Cathode-biased with a switchable scooped  EQ. Amazing.
  • I've been through so many amps over the years, including many well regarded and hyped ones. I've also played through many vintage amps including tweed deluxes. I consider my J20 to be the only lifetime keeper amp that I've ever had, and I bought mine well before any "hype" had built up. 

There will always be cynics & haters and those who might even have played one and just don't like the tone(!), but for me it is a perfect amp...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Just been to rehearsal tonight using my J20. Always come away with a smile I do :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • I've been through so many amps over the years, including many well regarded and hyped ones. I've also played through many vintage amps including tweed deluxes. I consider my J20 to be the only lifetime keeper amp that I've ever had, and I bought mine well before any "hype" had built up. 

There will always be cynics & haters and those who might even have played one and just don't like the tone(!), but for me it is a perfect amp...

echoes my feelings exactly. Here's a clip I did the very moment I unboxed mine a couple of years ago... just random noodling on a few different settings. I'll have to do a proper demo of it someday!...

Cheers,
    Alex :)

My Youtube Channel - Vintage Jazz, Blues & Country lessons;

https://youtube.com/@alexfarranguitar

https://instagram.com/alexfarranguitar
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • smogfalls said:
    I've been through so many amps over the years, including many well regarded and hyped ones. I've also played through many vintage amps including tweed deluxes. I consider my J20 to be the only lifetime keeper amp that I've ever had, and I bought mine well before any "hype" had built up. 

echoes my feelings exactly. Here's a clip I did the very moment I unboxed mine a couple of years ago... just random noodling on a few different settings. I'll have to do a proper demo of it someday!...

Cheers,
    Alex :)

I rem mart seeing this on YouTube. I didn't realise it was you :) I thought you sold your J20 for some readon though @smogfalls ;
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/