Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Belt or braces?

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4991
to keep your trousers up! I use a belt nearly all the time but when I hire a dress suit, it has braces. Surprisingly braces make me look slimmer! My tum is not pushed out by a belt, thus the jacket hangs and buttons up "better". For other less formal outings I might try my Wranglers and coloured braces, now there's a thought....
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    I still have hips.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317
    You might find also that (if they are proper braced trousers) they are higher waisted, and that in turn will help your belly. 

I personally prefer belt loops and a belt. 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2017
    I got some cheap chinese work trousers off ebay, Can't fit into a 32 as my muscular gluts are (Arse is) too big for the Chinese cut and I have wide hips, so got a 34.  I wear a belt but it plays havoc with my crotch as it pulls the inseam right up and it's also hell on my post ale drinking swollen guts before they settle down again to a 6 pack.  There is a lot to be said for buying more expensive trousers, but I wouldn't actually mind some work braces, it might actually let my groin breathe whilst wearing cheap work trousers.  How much is a pair of work braces compared to the costs of decent work trousers that aren't off the back of a lorry from China for a fiver a pair and actually fit?

I actually think you might be on to something.

Image result for work braces

• SporkySporky Frets: 28650
    Belt if the trousers have belt hooks, braces if they have brace buttons.

Of course, if you're facing a pig of a day go belt, braces and sock suspenders.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Guitar_SlingerGuitar_Slinger Frets: 1489
    edited February 2017
    After using the same 2 cheap belts for 20 years, I bought a nice leather on from Heistercamp, almost identical to my guitar strap.

As for braces, 3 words kids - Rod, Jane, Freddy.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Always a belt.

I've yet to find a reason for braces ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5179
    I do wot the kids do...wear my trouser halfway down me arse innit :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33826
    Belt.
    The only time I wear braces is on motorcycle tours with a textile suit.
  • belt.  

Cheers Rocker mate.
  • My boss' favourite expression is "belt and braces" (i.e. have a back up in case plan A fails).

I don't think I've ever heard anyone else use it, but he uses it regularly.

Problem with nice thick leather belts is they warp.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    I literally didn't realise that anyone wore braces (other than hipsters who look like lumberjacks), so I've learnt something new today.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    My boss' favourite expression is "belt and braces" (i.e. have a back up in case plan A fails).

I use it occasionally, I don't recall at one else using it.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5630
    edited February 2017
    Braces are misunderstood and underrated. First, they allow trousers to hang properly, which looks better and obviates the need to yank them up every now and then, as is required with a belt. Second, trousers cut for braces are a bit more generous around the waist, which is more comfortable, especially if you're carrying a bit of extra timber. Third, braces aren't really meant to be seen - they're functional, not a fashion statement. When I wear braces, I always wear a waistcoat so that I can take my jacket off without looking like Gordon Gekko.

Most chaps these days prefer to wear belts because they think of braces as old-fashioned and stuffy. Most young guys also like to wear their trousers on their hips, rather than their waist, which is not conducive to braces. That's fair enough, but there are two instances where I think belts look terrible - on dinner suits, which are not supposed to be visually cut in half by a belt buckle, and under a waistcoat, where the belt buckle both peeps out from under the cloth and causes the waistcoat to protrude around the waist.
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Rocker said:
    For other less formal outings I might try my Wranglers and coloured braces, now there's a thought....

That flashed up warning images of Timmy Mallet and Peter Powell for some reason, even though I have been totally unable to find a picture of either of them so-attired!

I have to concur though, braces with a suit are great
    mike_l said:
    My boss' favourite expression is "belt and braces" (i.e. have a back up in case plan A fails).

I use it occasionally, I don't recall at one else using it.
    I've heard it a fair bit. I prefer "belt, braces and sock suspenders". Always go one better.
    This has reminded me of these, which appeared one day in Amazon Deals.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jelinda-Adjustable-Shirt-Suspender-Garter/dp/B015NU1SHA/

• dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Sporky said:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jelinda-Adjustable-Shirt-Suspender-Garter/dp/B015NU1SHA/

These are possibly the un-sexiest bit of menswear I've ever seen
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1783
    Sporky said:

Good spot, and just in times for valentines today.
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    Passion killers for sure!