Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Phone masts

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72539
    If you think about it the phone in your pocket is actually more dangerous - the transmitter is millimetres from your skin. I actually found an effect from that - I suffer from eczema, and I noticed I was always getting a patch on my leg right under the pocket I keep my phone in… so I swapped it to the opposite pocket, and after a few days the first patch went away and a new one appeared on the other leg :-O. Since then I've been careful to regularly change pockets and never leave it in my pocket in the house if I can put it down a couple of feet away.

I do sometimes wonder if in ten or twenty years there will be an increased incidence of cancer which proves to be connected to them. The problem is that if so, it won't show up until far too late when 90+% of the population has auto-exposed themselves to the cause...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hate to worry you but Im pretty sure Sir Axeman has one in his back garden.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24421
    I wish I had one in my back garden.  I've got to go out into the garden and stand on tiptoe to be able to make a call.  The slightest bit of rain and I get zero signal.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @ICBM I remember you say that about switching the phone in your pocket. Scary. I'm always on mine.. :o
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1963
    Surely we are back to the question of whether the mobile phone itself is dangerous when it is placed close to your head whilst making a call. The strength if the radiation at that distance is far greater than that received from a mast due to inverse square law? 
    exocet said:
    Surely we are back to the question of whether the mobile phone itself is dangerous when it is placed close to your head whilst making a call. The strength if the radiation at that distance is far greater than that received from a mast due to inverse square law? 
    Yes.

As I understand it there is a tiny amount of evidence that really constant use might be a risk, but it's still at the anecdotal/few cases level.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    chances are you'll get rubbish wifi and no mobi signal...

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Everything in life carries a risk; going out in the sun, breathing the air, eating food, touching anything, living in a house in a radon affected area, driving a car, owning a mobile phone, using a PC etc.

You have 2 choices: listen to the science, or listen to the likes of siraxeman.

People have lived and worked in the vicinity of RF transmissions of all kinds for decades, often much stronger than the relatively weak signal from a mobile mast. Other than getting burned by RF (when you're a couple of inches from a powerful transmitter, a la microwave oven, industrial RF supply in the kW range etc) I don't think there's any evidence of harm.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • So in conclusion, we'll probably be ok, but it's not proven, we'll probably get a rubbish phone signal, and it'll probably lower the value of the house. Great. :lol:
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4924
    So in conclusion, we'll probably be ok, but it's not proven, we'll probably get a rubbish phone signal, and it'll probably lower the value of the house. Great. :lol:
    So get them to knock £10k off the price you're paying!
  • I don't know if that'd work? I think the price is what it is for the whole site and reflects this
  • If phone masts were/are a health risk there'd be a lot more than anecdotal evidence by now so I wouldn't stress about it ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

• If phone masts were/are a health risk there'd be a lot more than anecdotal evidence by now so I wouldn't stress about it ;)

I've heard if masts giving people headaches and radio frequency sensitivity sicknesses. When you explain that it's not been switched on and has been awaiting power for 3 months they tend to find something else to complain about, but the serious side of that is people do stress about it and can even make themselves feel unwell for no particular reason other than worry.  
  • There's some real extreme websites out there about electrical hypersensitivity - remember Saul's brother in "Never Call Saul".... ?
  • There's some real extreme websites out there about electrical hypersensitivity - remember Saul's brother in "Never Call Saul".... ?
    Yeah I was going to mention that, he plays a great part.  It's like anything nowadays, if somebody can worry about something, there will be a website to help them worry.  If people were that sensitive they'd probably be able to detect solar storms with their teeth.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • So in conclusion, we'll probably be ok, but it's not proven, we'll probably get a rubbish phone signal, and it'll probably lower the value of the house. Great. :lol:
    You just need to watch out for symptoms like: 
    1.) Low level latent creationism
    2.) Starting to wonder if evolution is really really real
    3.) Denying climate change
    etc.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • :)

Fyi @ICBM we were at a Barrat showroom in duddingston today and right at the corner about 5 metres away from a nice house, was a gigantic pylon.... It did look very oppressive. Who builds a house under a pylon!?
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    If you have enough Amalgam fillings you'll most probably hear that Nigerian fellow from the Inland Revenue as well.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock

@ICBM we were at a Barrat showroom in duddingston today and right at the corner about 5 metres away from a nice house, was a gigantic pylon.... It did look very oppressive. Who builds a house under a pylon!?
    The one I was looking at, the house was there first… must be a bummer if you were living there when the pylon went up.

• richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24843
    edited February 2017
    ICBM said:

@ICBM we were at a Barrat showroom in duddingston today and right at the corner about 5 metres away from a nice house, was a gigantic pylon.... It did look very oppressive. Who builds a house under a pylon!?
    The one I was looking at, the house was there first… must be a bummer if you were living there when the pylon went up.
    I do some consultancy work for a company which obtains compensation for people who have electrical apparatus on (or over) their land. There are lots of brand new properties built close to such apparatus - as much as anything because the land is available.

Clearly planners are required to consider environmental issues when assessing planning applications.