Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Phone masts

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28347
    So let me get this right - you are holding a portable radiation emitting device to your head throughout the day by choice, and you are worried about some mast down the road?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • There's a Cala site in Currie that is basically right under the power lines, on the other side of the road from the quite large substation. 500k for 4 beds :) crazy. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Have you see the Barrat development, I think it's called the Kilns... not far from Mortonhall/Gilmerton... right next to the power lines and that busy road? 
  • Have you see the Barrat development, I think it's called the Kilns... not far from Mortonhall/Gilmerton... right next to the power lines and that busy road? 
    You're not 'selling' this to me Thomas... :)
  • That's not my one - that's a different one! 
    Thankfully we only have the phone mast.... for now...... :o
    Mortonhall would be enough to put me off :)
  • A quick Google shows I have four masts within about 800m. I've never considered being bothered by it in the past so I don't think I'll be bothered now.
  • Did you just use mastdata.com to find that out?
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6266
    Wouldn't worry about it Tom, there's no evidence of any risk change.

We've lived near one for years.

Having said that.....I never feel the cold, and my toes light up when my phone rings..
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Did you just use mastdata.com to find that out?

Yeah.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited February 2017
    Right.
    I'm just at the location on my own to check it out. Took a pic, will post later. It's actually about 100m from the house. About one house away from ours. We'd see it pretty easily. It's the second house in from the road, not a main road but would get some road noise. 

That's it behind the lampost! Where my car is... is the entrance to the development and our house would be second one in.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4437
    edited February 2017
    I traced the number of steps to the garden, approx. 32 steps or 20-25m. I'm not gonna lie, I don't like it. So much so that I told her I'm deeply unhappy with it and would sell it on quickly. We're at odds over it which is the last thing I want right now. If all was fine I'd pull out but it's not fine and she wants it. 
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    if Satch turns up at your door you'll know it's G3
    play every note as if it were your first
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3431
    edited February 2017
    She wants it, she gets it, that's my experience with buying houses and t'wife. :)

Just make sure you're paying the right amount and it'll be fine. You'll never find a house that ticks every box for all parties...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I traced the number of steps to the garden, approx. 32 steps or 20-25m. I'm not gonna lie, I don't like it. So much so that I told her I'm deeply unhappy with it and would sell it on quickly. We're at odds over it which is the last thing I want right now. If all was fine I'd pull out but it's not fine and she wants it. 

What is it you don't like about it? Ugliness? Radiation? Pokémon?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72745
    Just get all the walls on the side of the house that faces the mast done with 1970s foil-backed wallpaper, you'll be fine. It might look a bit like a Chinese restaurant in there of course.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3674
    edited February 2017
    This stuff about the dangers of mobile phones and masts is pretty much nonsense. People don’t even know exactly what they’re worried about apart from "radiation". If I were genuinely worried about the claim that mobile phones could cause me brain cancer, the first thing I would do is campaign to make my own mobile phone operator erect their mast as close to my house as possible because of the inverse-square law; that is that the power of the signal falls away extremely rapidly as you move away from the mast. This happens exponentially because the energy is dissipated and spread out in three dimensions in a sphere.

Meanwhile, with a phone you are holding a powerful transmitter right up next to your brain.  In fact, because of the inverse square law, the phone gives you a far higher dose of EM radiation than the mast does. However, modern mobile phones (i.e. anything with 3G) try to preserve their battery life by transmitting a much weaker signal into the air (and consequently your head) when they detect that a mast is very close by. Therefore, if you use a mobile phone, it’s in your interests to have it transmit at the lowest power it can manage, which means a strong signal from the mast, which means the mast should be built in your back garden.

There is quite a good article in the New York Times which explains why people think mobile phones cause brain cancer by Siddhartha Mukherje. He does this without dismissing concerns, and while explaining why this issue is so fraught with interpretation bias and confusion. Mukherjee’s key points are well understood in epidemiological circles, and typically misstated in the mainstream press and  by nobbers who post links to articles by the Daily Express on Facebook.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    edited February 2017
    This stuff about the dangers of mobile phones and masts is pretty much nonsense. People don’t even know exactly what they’re worried about apart from "radiation". If I were genuinely worried about the claim that mobile phones could cause me brain cancer, the first thing I would do is campaign to make my own mobile phone operator erect their mast as close to my house as possible because of the inverse-square law...

Wisdomed.

If you held a mobile phone at 1cm from your head and stood 2500cm(25m) from a mast the intensity from the mast at source would have to be 6.25million (2500 squared) more than the phone to have more effect. Which it isn't.

• I think I'm just having a panic attack given what's going on!
    I was worried:
    - unfounded health risk.
    - the structure looking a tad oppressive and clearly visible from back garden.
    - future re-sale.

Nice post @vasselmeyer ; - I'll check that article out when I get the time!
    We're going ahead with it - I e-mailed the developer though just to ask about their awareness of it when building. If it's dangerous to be close to one, you'd think there would need to be a sealed-off perimeter!

Just under a lot of pressure now - not helping myself.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28841
    You can always sneak out one night and paint a smiley face on it.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."