Epiphone Sheraton owners. Now New guitar day.

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• rlwrlw Frets: 4704
    Voxman said:
    rlw said:
    Actually a bit more but that's for all the hardware, installation and setup.  

I know - that's dinner for two and a cab home but what the heck..............
    For £500 that's gotta be dinner in Paris, overnight at a 4 star hotel, and with first class travel on the Eurostar! :)
    You ever been to Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester.................I have (but only with a client paying) and the bill was over £500 for the two of us.  I felt really bad not letting him have it as an allowable business expense.......
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    rlw said:
    Voxman said:
    rlw said:

For £500 that's gotta be dinner in Paris, overnight at a 4 star hotel, and with first class travel on the Eurostar! :)
    You ever been to Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester.................I have (but only with a client paying) and the bill was over £500 for the two of us.  I felt really bad not letting him have it as an allowable business expense.......
    If you pick a peak time, the Raymond Blanc Maison aux quatre saisons in Oxfordshire is £500 a head...

If you pick a peak time, the Raymond Blanc Maison aux quatre saisons in Oxfordshire is £500 a head...
    I won't be going there then, especially not before 9.30 in the morning :-)
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    rlw said:

I won't be going there then, especially not before 9.30 in the morning :-)
    Or between about 4.30 and 7.00!
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    edited March 2017 tFB Trader
    rlw said:
    rlw said:

Dinner for two??

Did you misread £485 as £48.50??

Ah, you're in the Sahf...

'twas very tongue in cheek.

Actually, far more than I intended to spend but I lost my nerve and bought in the wiring harness and then outsourced all the work to Feline, when I only intended to get them to set it up after I had done all the other work.

Apparently, in blood pressure and swearing terms, I think I got a bargain from Feline......
    Yes ...our part of that figure wasn't that high....much of it was Rich purchasing a set of covered BKPs a wiring harness and Tonepros bridge etc.

we were dealing with the too narrow spacing of the Epiphone bridge (72mm rather the more standard 74mm) which required dowelling and redrilling , and installation if the pickups and wiring etc.

Tom did that job while I was away at The Guitar Show in Birmingham, but I heard it was the usual amount of fun that rewiring a 335 brings

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• markjmarkj Frets: 914
    rlw said:
    rlw said:

Dinner for two??

Actually, far more than I intended to spend but I lost my nerve and bought in the wiring harness and then outsourced all the work to Feline, when I only intended to get them to set it up after I had done all the other work.

Apparently, in blood pressure and swearing terms, I think I got a bargain from Feline......
    Yes ...our part of that figure wasn't that high....much of it was Rich purchasing a set of covered BKPs a wiring harness and Tonepros bridge etc.

we were dealing with the too narrow spacing of the Epiphone bridge (72mm rather the more standard 74mm) which required dowelling and redrilling , and installation if the pickups and wiring etc.

Tom did that job while I was away at The Guitar Show in Birmingham, but I heard it was the usual amount of fun that rewiring a 335 brings

Can you recommend me a bridge and tailpiece that will be a drop in replacement for the Sheraton.
    For the avoidance of doubt, I want to make the point that the major, unplanned, part of the cost was, indeed, parts.  I did go a bit mad but it has been worth it I think in that I now have a better sounding, better playing, better looking guitar.

The original plan was to buy all the bits on here secondhand, make my own wiring loom and do all the work,except the final setup, myself.   That would have come in at around £250/£300 I reckon, but finding the bits proved to be more difficult than I thought.  Nor did I intend to put expensive pickups on but they just appeared on here so I bought them.   Then, as you do, I thought bugger it, just buy new and get it done.

As soon as I hit the bridge problem, which I didn't have the skill to deal with, the plan changed and, since I was going to have to get that bit done professionally, I thought, why not get it all done and then it's finished. And done to a far higher standard than I was likely to achieve.   And the time I would have spent doing it , I spent working, so labour costs were actually neutral.

I
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11600
    tFB Trader
    markj said:
    rlw said:
    rlw said:

Dinner for two??

Can you recommend me a bridge and tailpiece that will be a drop in replacement for the Sheraton.
    Tricky question as many Sheraton's use a bridge where the posts are only 72mm apart instead of the standard 74mm , although some come from the factory with 74 mm ones so there is no easy answer - you have to measure and in most cases modify if your stock bridge is a narrow one

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

There is one bridge available that is slightly adjustable but even that may not quite fit.
    markj said:
    rlw said:
    rlw said:

Dinner for two??

Tricky question as many Sheraton's use a bridge where the posts are only 72mm apart instead of the standard 74mm , although some come from the factory with 74 mm ones so there is no easy answer - you have to measure and in most cases modify if your stock bridge is a narrow one
    I've measured mine they are 74 mm. Probably depends on the age of the guitar and where it wa made.
    Mine is a 2005 model so 10 years after they stopped using the 72mm bridge..................
    rlw said:
    Mine is a 2005 model so 10 years after they stopped using the 72mm bridge..................

Mine is a 2006 model.