Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Just goes to show...you never know who you know.

What's Hot
GassageGassage Frets: 30928

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    I can't see the video because Facebook is blocked at work. Sounds like that's a good thing. 
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    joneve said:
    I can't see the video because Facebook is blocked at work. Sounds like that's a good thing. 
    Former Derbyshire cricketer Richard Sladdin caught in a nonce sting.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1474
    Gassage said:
    joneve said:
    Former Derbyshire cricketer Richard Sladdin caught in a nonce sting.
    Ugh, what a cunt. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm all for protecting children from dangerous people, but a Facebook page "Nonces not welcome" with the profile pic "Keep Calm and Hang Nonces"....?! Seriously, wtf?!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 14reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30928
    I'm all for protecting children from dangerous people, but a Facebook page "Nonces not welcome" with the profile pic "Keep Calm and Hang Nonces"....?! Seriously, wtf?!
    It is an emotive issue. I didn't create the page.

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513

Pro tip for wannabe vigilantes: when naming and shaming, spell names correctly.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    did he promise to bring you some sweeties too??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Seems to be happening all the time at the moment. Some guys I used to be in a band with recently posted that they were cancelling all gigs with immediate effect, because the bassist they were using had just been convicted as a paedo. This morning, someone I work with posted a name and shame video of someone in his community. Last month, a Notts DJ active on the music scene there was outed, to much incredulity and shock from various bands, promoters etc we know.

I feel conflicted about this. On the one hand, it's great that these people are outed, neutralised and no longer able to act on their urges.

On the other, the idea of amateur, vigilante groups worries me a bit, just because there's no oversight and because of the way they operate - they tag the wrong name on a facebook post for example, some innocent person's going to be hounded, probably put in physical danger. But, I suppose these groups exist because demonstrably authorities have been unable or unwilling to deal with the problem.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 16reaction image Wisdom
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited February 2017
    Did he rub your balls on his cricket jumper?
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72427
    Cirrus said:
    Seems to be happening all the time at the moment. Some guys I used to be in a band with recently posted that they were cancelling all gigs with immediate effect, because the bassist they were using had just been convicted as a paedo. This morning, someone I work with posted a name and shame video of someone in his community. Last month, a Notts DJ active on the music scene there was outed, to much incredulity and shock from various bands, promoters etc we know.

I feel conflicted about this. On the one hand, it's great that these people are outed, neutralised and no longer able to act on their urges.

On the other, the idea of amateur, vigilante groups worries me a bit, just because there's no oversight and because of the way they operate - they tag the wrong name on a facebook post for example, some innocent person's going to be hounded, probably put in physical danger. But, I suppose these groups exist because demonstrably authorities have been unable or unwilling to deal with the problem.
    From what I've seen in a couple of documentaries about them, these types of vigilantes are quite meticulous about the evidence they obtain before the go public - and it's really quite easy to be, when essentially they're simply pretending to be children in order for the offender to trap themselves. Even the police have said that while they don't really want to promote this sort of thing, they accept that what they're doing is not illegal, and in some cases have decided to work with the vigilantes. In many cases proper criminal prosecutions have followed and convictions obtained.

I don't really have any sympathy with anyone who goes to meet what they think is a child with the intention of sexual activity.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Sore subject for me. A very close friend of mine at uni (who I hadn't seen for a few years) was caught, convicted and sent to prison.

I'm still in contact with his wife - it destroyed her life in the process.

No one had any idea. He was in a position of trust and authority. 

It leaves you numb.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5629
    ICBM said:

I don't really have any sympathy with anyone who goes to meet what they think is a child with the intention of sexual activity.
    This.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Brize said:
    ICBM said:

This.

Yeah, agreed.
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Looks like I'm not welcome in Halifax
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    ICBM said:

Well, yeah, these people don't deserve any sympathy. Just for absolute clarity, though I don't think it's what you're implying, my post wasn't intended to convey any.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5003
    Cirrus said:

A friend of mine knows someone who was pretty much hounded to death because he had the same name as someone named as a paedophile in The Sun. In fact, I believe my friend's brother was in the house  (as a child at the time) when the people concerned about protecting children were throwing bricks through the window into a room full of children. 
    0reaction image LOL 6reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1305
    There's nothing nice about the video, the whole thing is disgusting, but if it stops just one kid getting abused then I'm all for it.  Social justice can take many forms and hopefully the idea of being greeted by people like this will have the desired effect.

But you have to wonder about the whole situation.  I'm sure, or at least I hope, they're smart enough to know where the entrapment line is, but in other area areas of law tempting someone, getting them on the hook, and then only at a later stage letting them know it's going to be illegal would not secure a conviction.  If they start by saying they're 18, then 16, then 14, then as abhorrent as it all is, will the courts not see that as entrapment?

• MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1244
    There was the urban myth - pretty sure it couldn't have been true - about pediatricians being targeted by numbskuls.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5003
    MrBump said:
    There was the urban myth - pretty sure it couldn't have been true - about pediatricians being targeted by numbskuls.
    https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2000/aug/30/childprotection.society ;