Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

So - will I regret it if I buy a Helix?

What's Hot

Comments

• John_A said:
    I suggest you stop asking questions and just play with it, if they were shit they wouldn't have sold 1000's, they're not :)
    I'm not all that interested in actual playing. I just like gear :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Seriously though, I am keen to try out something like the Alto TS210 - not super expensive and only 10Kg...that would be awesome.

I'll need to shift some gear before I'm allowed to buy more stuff though. I might see what is hanging around our practice space. I've not been all that interested in PA gear before so I haven't really noticed. I think they use mostly HK stuff.
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2326
    edited September 2017
    How good are these Altos though? They seem almost too good to be true.
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    How good are these Altos thought? They seem almost too good to be true.
    Great 'for the money'  definitely not as good as more expensive speakers, but I gigged with a used TS110 that I got for £100 and it was fine

• Man, this GAS is leading to more GAS...I really want to try these FRFR things now....need to sell stuff. :)
    Man, this GAS is leading to more GAS...I really want to try these FRFR things now....need to sell stuff. :)
    Sell your Helix :)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_A said:
    Man, this GAS is leading to more GAS...I really want to try these FRFR things now....need to sell stuff. :)
    Sell your Helix :)
    Ok, you talked me into it. :)
  • Well, I did the ultimate test last night...got my wife to sit and listen as I toggled between Helix pre-amp and full TH30 (in 4CM) and got her opinion. She came firmly down on the side of the Helix. So that's that decided. I'm sending it back. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • You have to take them to a rehearsal room and crank them both up to gig levels....then the amp should win easily. At least it would if you had guitarists who're not afraid of volume judging em blindly.Your amp at home volumes isn't even on ticking over levels...power amp might as well be solid state!
  • Think we're fighting a losing battle here. Page 5 and @gearaddict is still insisting on making the wrong decision.

;-)
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    siraxeman said:
    You have to take them to a rehearsal room and crank them both up to gig levels....then the amp should win easily. At least it would if you had guitarists who're not afraid of volume judging em blindly.Your amp at home volumes isn't even on ticking over levels...power amp might as well be solid state!
    What do you mean by 'the amp would win easily'  ?  on what basis?
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited September 2017

well on feel for the player, and realism/punch in the ears of a discerning listener. I played a Helix for about an hour at PMT music Manchester last year - and I really liked it, only had the rack model in stock and I wanted the floor, so I walked out without splurging. Then I cooled down a bit, and its taken me a year to actually splurge on one since! Anyway I remembered as great as it was it still felt and sounded like I was playing through a sim......I'd go as far as to bet money if someone handed me a guitar and i was blindfolded and plugged me into *something* I'd have known it was a digital modeller. There's a certain feel to the player and you can hear it too if you are discerning enough. Real amps always seem thicker with a certain presence to e'm that is basically 'real'. That all said I still can't wait for my Helix to come and get messing with it. But mine is basically (at least as of now) going to be for the home practice/recording setup rather than gigging. I fully intend to continue with my amps and pedlaboard live....but we'll see. I actually want to be proven wrong and change my mind on this!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.  I've gigged the Helix for over a year and the feel is all there, and in terms of sound, I've moved from a Plexi and a pile of great pedals to the Helix, and hand on heart the Helix sounds better to me
  • Nothing will please me more if you're right! But my doubts at least for now are reinforced by the fact I've seen a good few Helix's up for sale with the "I'm going back to my amp and pedals......" as the reason.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxeman said:
    Nothing will please me more if you're right! But my doubts at least for now are reinforced by the fact I've seen a good few Helix's up for sale with the "I'm going back to my amp and pedals......" as the reason.
    I'm pretty sure that's because folk don't understand the difference between sound in the room and mic'd up sound. And it is quite a difference. Once you get your head around that, and set your expectations correctly then the Helix sounds great. A Helix rig is never going to sound like an amp-in-the-room (well, not *never*, but that's a pretty specific circumstance) but it will sound more consistent than an amp in most situations.
  • That's it though..a lot of the pleasure the player gets is from that amp in the room sound. Tis why mine as of now is reserved for home recording/practice though my HS7's. Live I wanna feel that 'real amp in a room' sound! That's why I'm dead clever. :lol:
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Think we're fighting a losing battle here. Page 5 and @gearaddict is still insisting on making the wrong decision.

;-)
    Page 6 :)

TBH I'm convinced the Helix is excellent...I now have it sounding (to my ears) at least as good as my valve amp. Bear in mind, this is running through the power stage of said valve amp. But even with my Magnum 44 it's not far off - just a bit stiffer. I might be able to compensate for some of that with sag settings.

I can totally see the benefits and for 725 quid it's pretty much a bargain. If I am torn, it's more about my Presbyterian guilt about spending that much on something I don't really need coupled with my mentalness around option paralysis.

It's a great thing, no question. Everyone should buy one. :)
  • Only joking fella.

@siraxeman I don't actually prefer the sound of a real amp to my Axe FX. Think you'll find a lot of people will say the same. Fact is, you're getting the whole chain with a modeller, you no longer need to factor in mics and speakers - it's taken care of...that there is a huge factor in why a modeller sounds 'better', for me as it gets that part right. As for feel, I never spent enough time getting the Helix to feel right for me, given more time, I think it absolutely would feel great. But the Axe FX absolutely does feel like my old amps, gives me that under the fingers feedback I used to love...it all depends on what power and speakers you're using.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

I think lots of people sell because it's not a magic bullet.

When I first got my LT I found it flat and compressed sounding. Initially a little impressive but at volume not real.

Nearly, nearly sent it back.

Now I truly love it - took a good month/6 weeks to get a real understanding of programming it, not the interface - but what was needed to get my version of the best out of it.

I use a mix of pre-amps and pedals when in front of a valve amp, and I hate to say it - but at the moment I'm planning on re-wiring/ordering my main G2 board to try and see if I can make that sound as good as the Helix

• Well, it has gone back. Sorry all but tbh it's probably a huge relief all round. :) :)

Thanks all for answering all my stupid helix related questions over the last few weeks!