Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What gives that lovely swirly sound that Robin Trower used?

What's Hot
ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
Oh wise ones of the FretBoard.
Just listening to Robin Trower: Bridge Of Sighs,
so how can you recreate that sound?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    Eventide TimeFactor - Bridge-of-sighs default setting ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Is that the one that was a Uni-vibe originally? I'm not sure I've ever heard him, but I've seen the name (& track) tossed around a fair bit...
  • He uses a Fulltone deja vibe. Any univibe type pedal will do it though.
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    New MXR Univibe announced at NAMM.....essential the Hendrix 70th one without the artwork...standard MXR pedal size, like a Phase 90.
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited September 2014
    Thanks for that @frankus, and here is a link to Eventide settings >click<

I thought that there was a bit of variation amongst univibe type pedals @handsomerik ?

So what is it that these pedals are doing?

And as a thank you for your reply @guitargeek62, here is Robin Trower: Bridge Of Sighs on YT, enjoy  :)

Duration 1hour 1min
    edit: fixed YT link (for now at least)

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    He used to spin around on one leg whilst doing goldfish impressions with his mouth. Tricky not to get caught up in the guitar lead, he really perfected the sound once wireless systems became available.

Or a Univibe or variation thereof.

I did once have a conversation with a sound engineer about Trower. Short version being that Robin is a total arsehole who still turns everything up to 11 like he used to playing big venues even though he only plays club sized ones now and you can't tell him otherwise because he is a famous rock star don't ya know.Not really relevant but it's my only story about him so I thought I would squeeze it in.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • And as a thank you for your reply @guitargeek62, here is Robin Trower: Bridge Of Sighs on YT, enjoy  :)

Ah, so he's a Hendrix impersonator?! ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I think there might have been a bit of a hole in the market after September 18, 1970.

But I do think there is more to Robin Trower than that, once you move past the obvious...

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7339
    edited January 2014
    Robin is a Fulltone-endorsed nowdays so he will be using the Deja vibe as @handsomeerik said, but those classic recordings would have been  the original Roger Mayer UniVibe... BUT even the humble Dano Cool Cat VIBE and some OD will get you there - or if you have a BOSS ME-5 then you can get my patches as there are a couple of versions there... see sig!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1260
    +1 for the Cool Cat Vibe. Has it's quirks (like the location of the controls, the "warm up" period when you step on it, and the fact that as shipped it tends to come with the output trimmer you'll find under the battery cover set to flat out so you get a noticeable volume jump) but I'm inclined to file those under "character" because it just sounds so damned good....
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • Check out the voodoo labs microvibe as well
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6500
    edited January 2014
    (Deleted - No Longer available)

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7151
    And as a thank you for your reply @guitargeek62, here is Robin Trower: Bridge Of Sighs on YT, enjoy  :)

Yup. In a nutshell.

I like his stuff, but he screams 'Hendrix impersonator', just without the subtle nuances and flair of Jimi.

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • photekphotek Frets: 1463
    edited January 2014
    stonevibe said:
    Yup. In a nutshell.

I like his stuff, but he screams 'Hendrix impersonator', just without the subtle nuances and flair of Jimi.

RT has said it himself many times, he set out to do a Jimi tribute song when Hendrix died and RT was in procol harum, got hooked on jimi's stuff and just carried on doing it. Nowt wrong with that and i for one am really pleased he did, bridge of sighs is excellent.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    edited January 2014
    Matthew Fisher's Hammond and Leslie cab, mostly ;).

I do like Trower's playing in Procol Harum. Not so keen on the later stuff… although I may give Bridge Of Sighs another go, it's along time since I heard it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• You do need an OD as well unless you are going to turn everything up to 11.
    "Nobody needs more than 20 strats." Mike Landau
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    edited February 2014
    edited February 2014
    Thanks for the information and comments chaps, much appreciated.
    As was the offer from @RocknRollDave (hopefully the interest this discussion created moved that one on for you)

I assumed that this sound was trying to recreate the Leslie cabinets sonic signature, and that there was an element of volume modulation as well as pitch modulation involved, is that true?

Just listening to this as I am looking through the forum today, so I thought I would share with anyone interested
    ( there are a few gaps and the track jumps a bit towards the end, but I enjoyed it ! )

• Thanks Chris, it did indeed generate a sale for my pedal! :)