Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What gives that lovely swirly sound that Robin Trower used?

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    A lot of the the univibe thing is the speed/rate controlled with a foot controller. Try mixing an analog chorus and phase 90 but it still wont get that trippy vibe sound 100%.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ab2014ab2014 Frets: 89
    Univibe was an approximation of a rotating Leslie speaker. Those buggers were heavy.
  • breadfanbreadfan Frets: 379
    edited February 2015
    SRich said:
    I'm surprised no-one has mentioned the Neo-Ventilator.......so I will. If I didn't have the Deja2 I'd be all over it. Not cheap.
    The Ventilator & other Leslie simulators can't do the 'throb' you get from a good Univibe type pedal, whereas a good vibe can do a pretty decent Leslie simulation, with the 'throb' (intensity) turned down. For Trower you need that pulsating sound.

As @Moe_Zambeek said, Castledine all the way.

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    For anyone on here who enjoys Robin Trower, I came across this, hope you like it  :)

Robin Trower recorded at the Golders Green Hippodrome in London in 1975.

Radio 6 Classic Music Concert ~ duration 1 hour.
    *Available for 25 days from Wed 9th March 2016*

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12382
    ChrisMusic;997935" said:
    For anyone on here who enjoys Robin Trower, I came across this, hope you like it  :)

Robin Trower recorded at the Golders Green Hippodrome in London in 1975.

Radio 6 Classic Music Concert ~ duration 1 hour.*Available for 25 days from Wed 9th March 2016*

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0721sbn
    Ooh ta. I'm a long time RT fan, although his 70s material is still my favourite. Jimmy Dewar's vocals really added something magical to the mix.
    After a thread on a recent Robin Trower concert, I found this little gem on YouTube, he has great tone here, hope you all enjoy it as much as I have :)

Robin Trower - Full Concert - Rockpalast Crossroads, Bonn - 2005

Duration 1 hour 12 mins

Track sheet

0:00:49 Too Rolling Stoned 
    0:09:10 Sweet Angel 
    0:13:10 What's Your Name 
    0:16:18 Rise Up Like The Sun 
    0:19:32 Daydream 
    0:30:06 Living Out Of Time 
    0:33:38 Breathless 
    0:37:46 Day Of The Eagle 
    0:41:59 Bridge Of Sighs 
    0:52:33 Close Every Door 
    0:56:12 I Want You To Love Me 
    1:02:32 Please Tell Me 
    1:06:50 Little Bit Of Sympathy 

Recorded at 'Harmonie' during the Rockpalast Crossroads Festival on 9th March 2005, Bonn - Germany

Davey Pattison - Vocals
    Pete Thompson - Drums
    Dave Bronze - Bass

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Bridge of sighs is a shin-ei univibe. A modern equivalent has two solutions: faithful reproduction of the original analogue circuit, or an imitation, aka Dunlop rotovibe, and many many other attempts at imitation that come off more as interpretation. 
    Here in the little town of Bologna, Italy I know 4 people including myself who own an original unit. The only alternative I've known to come close and could even be considered an improvement is the vibe baby by classic amplification. Go to their site to get the lowdown on the other poor imitators. It has more headroom, more volume, and a more robust Cancel tone. This does mean that it is not faithful and has a different effect on a fuzz placed afterwards. I plan to do some more experiments including bias and buffering and I'll keep an update perhaps through a more specific discussion. 
    I can't nominate any other pedal though I would like to hear the new vibe machine from drybell. 
    Please don't make our mistake of buy sell buy sell as you learn that only a univibe really does univibe. I admit I was crestfallen when I paired up my vibe baby against an original. However, following a turn on the internal trimmer I could match the vibes. Happy again. Played through two amps is magical. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I must add that Hendrix used the univibe in far more complex ways than trower or gilmour. It appears in many tracks in a far more subtle way including use of the vibrato feature, a much maligned but incredible effect: hey baby, pali gap, etc. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Love Bridge of Sighs (album & track) - played the track with a previous band using the Plexi model of my Vox Valvetronix AD120VTX with tape delay, spring reverb and the uni-vibe pedal effect and it sounded really good.  In fact, this thread made me plug in my 69 Strat, neck pup, and tweak those settings again.  Very atmospheric track!   
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    lukedlb said:
    Bridge of sighs is a shin-ei univibe. A modern equivalent has two solutions: faithful reproduction of the original analogue circuit, or an imitation, aka Dunlop rotovibe, and many many other attempts at imitation that come off more as interpretation. 
    Here in the little town of Bologna, Italy I know 4 people including myself who own an original unit. The only alternative I've known to come close and could even be considered an improvement is the vibe baby by classic amplification. Go to their site to get the lowdown on the other poor imitators. It has more headroom, more volume, and a more robust Cancel tone. This does mean that it is not faithful and has a different effect on a fuzz placed afterwards. I plan to do some more experiments including bias and buffering and I'll keep an update perhaps through a more specific discussion. 
    I can't nominate any other pedal though I would like to hear the new vibe machine from drybell. 
    Please don't make our mistake of buy sell buy sell as you learn that only a univibe really does univibe. I admit I was crestfallen when I paired up my vibe baby against an original. However, following a turn on the internal trimmer I could match the vibes. Happy again. Played through two amps is magical. 

Trower himself uses a Fulltone Dejavibe now. If it's good enough for him........ ;)
    I've seen the Fulltone on other Hendrix fan pedalboards and I wonder how close it gets. I'm surprised he hasn't looked for sponsorship for some of the new vibe makers, specifically the new shin-ei company who smartly took the bane when the rights expired, or Fulltone at that. There's a bridge of sighs lick imitation on both the classic amplification and effectrode websites. 
    lukedlb said:
    I've seen the Fulltone on other Hendrix fan pedalboards and I wonder how close it gets. I'm surprised he hasn't looked for sponsorship for some of the new vibe makers, specifically the new shin-ei company who smartly took the bane when the rights expired, or Fulltone at that. There's a bridge of sighs lick imitation on both the classic amplification and effectrode websites. 
    The FuIltone is as good as the original as far as I'm concerned, I had one at one time and it sounded spot on to me. I'm pretty sure that Trower gets bombarded with offers from all the univibe clone pedal manufacturers. After all, he's the man most associated with the sound. For me the fact he's stuck with Mike Fuller says it all. 
  • 250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • The Fulltone sounds spot on to me. 
  • I have had the micro vibe and mojo vibe, the mojo being much better than the micro vibe.   Currently using the megavibe which ended my vibe search.