Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Comments

• Surely this is only racist because some tool guy kicked off about it and made the connection with a looong unused and now v obscure rhyme. Claiming it encourages a racist assault ffs what a tit
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Is it racist against zombies?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6096
    It's a dumb and offensive tee shirt whether it's racist or not. What kind of prick wants to walk around displaying this shit on their chest.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • SteffoSteffo Frets: 572
    The only thing that is fantastically offensive is the level of intelligence of the tool that complained about it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4317
    Look like a cock - yes

Offensive to me - no 

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    Why did they think a Jeremy Clarkson inspired T would be popliar in the first place?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    I have to say, having grown up when that particular rhyme was still in use in it's original, now considered offensive version (not that long ago, either), what I hear in my head after the line on the T shirt is not something I would want to be associated with. If you're familiar with the original rhyme but not the TV show this shirt is merch for, and hence only have the original context, juxtaposing that with a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire could very well cause deep offense. 

Having said that, I wouldn't report it to the shop, as far as i'm concerned people can wear whatever the hell they like, offensive or not.
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5006
    I'm not that version is the original version. It certainly is an older version but as far as I can tell the rhyme has roots that go back a long way. 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited February 2017
    Yeah, it's a just a shit t-shirt. I find it more offensive that Primark(and fucking top shop) now sell Slayer shirts tbh
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7367
    Were any black people actually offended by this, or was it all white people being offended on their behalf?
  • Reverend said:
    I'm not that version is the original version. It certainly is an older version but as far as I can tell the rhyme has roots that go back a long way. 

Exactly. There was *a* version of it that contained a racial slur. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eeny,_meeny,_miny,_moe

Yer man clearly doesn't watch The Walking Dead (the t-shirt clearly has a Walking Dead label on it that should have steered him in the right direction), but rather than thinking "I don't understand why this t-shirt says "eeny meeny miny moe" on it and has a bloody baseball bat, I'll jump to the entirely reasonable conclusion that Primark is openly encouraging racially motivated assault. Maybe I should write a strongly worded letter". 

"This image relates directly to the practice of assaulting black people in America." he says, like it's something they all get up to on a national holiday or something. FFS.
    JezWynd said:
    It's a dumb and offensive tee shirt whether it's racist or not. What kind of prick wants to walk around displaying this shit on their chest.
    Walking Dead fans, obviously. I agree through, it seems an odd thing to want on your clothing.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• LoFiLoFi Frets: 534
    I have to say, having grown up when that particular rhyme was still in use in it's original, now considered offensive version (not that long ago, either), what I hear in my head after the line on the T shirt is not something I would want to be associated with. If you're familiar with the original rhyme but not the TV show this shirt is merch for, and hence only have the original context, juxtaposing that with a baseball bat wrapped in barbed wire could very well cause deep offense. 

Having said that, I wouldn't report it to the shop, as far as i'm concerned people can wear whatever the hell they like, offensive or not.
    This is my POV - originally saw this discussed elsewhere; while I'm not that old, I'm familiar with the original version (via a not-at-all-racist grandmother) and not familiar with the Walking Dead (or at least - I know it's a TV show, but had no idea of the relevance of the baseball bat or the rhyme).

So, basically, I saw a picture of a t-shirt with a wired baseball bat and a rhyme with racist connotations, and thought "F***ing hell, that's a bit off!".
  • My kids would think it's about pirates (there's an episode of Octonauts where Kwazii uses that rhyme to decide between two different routes whilst searching for a hidden city in the amazon).

My father in law would think it's about murdering blacks....but he is a racist old sod who uses the offensive version and thinks it's funny to do so.

Neither of them watch the Walking Dead.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • My kids would think it's about pirates (there's an episode of Octonauts where Kwazii uses that rhyme to decide between two different routes whilst searching for a hidden city in the amazon).

Octonauts is notoriously racist, I assume youve never seen the now censored episode where Captain Barnacles is wearing a Skrewdriver t-shirt?
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7490
    edited February 2017
    I never knew that rhyme had racist connotations. 

It's still sung in primary schools, my girlfriend's 5 year old brother (mixed race) sings it all the time when picking who he will traumatise play with next. I've never heard a racist version, so I learnt something today. To my knowledge, he's never been told off for singing it...

No idea who would wear it, but then again, I'm not exactly on trend
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12669
    Offensive? Well, the original version of the rhyme is.

I'd imagine that more people in this world know the original rhyme than the link to a TV show. Therefore you'd be walking around with a slogan on your chest that many would consider part of a rhyme that is offensive.

So is it offensive in itself? Probably not. But it has connotations that aren't the sort of thing that most sane humans would want to be associated with.

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• impmann said:
    Offensive? Well, the original version of the rhyme is.

I'd imagine that more people in this world know the original rhyme than the link to a TV show. Therefore you'd be walking around with a slogan on your chest that many would consider part of a rhyme that is offensive.

So is it offensive in itself? Probably not. But it has connotations that aren't the sort of thing that most sane humans would want to be associated with.

Yeah, I'd agree with this - it's the kind of thing that, frankly, is probably best left alone, unless they really clearly branded it to the walking dead. A baseball bat doesn't do that for people who have not seen the show, whereas a logo probably would. 
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371

"This image relates directly to the practice of assaulting black people in America." he says, like it's something they all get up to on a national holiday or something. FFS.

But.....Lynch Mobs did look like that.
    They looked exactly like you have described.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-u48PufZOdlA/UO3M2cb6k0I/AAAAAAAAAeA/SN9b0uKhbgk/s1600/a-lynch31-bw-detail1.jpg

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Yet he's buying clothes from (questionable working conditions/slave labour) Primark.
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    In before Sambostar...

I see an 'axe', but no bat.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom