Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Primark's racist Walking Dead shirt???

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Some people just want to be offended by everything. And probably want compensation for said offense.

These shall be known as wankers.

It's not a particularly offensive shirt, just really shit.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16751
    WezV said:

It also took me years to stop saying Paki shop...

I accept I grew up in an environment where these racial slurs were prevelant. 
    Did you grow up in Bradford?  I'm sure the slurs are still in existence there!  

For many in the 80's at least (for myself anyway) the term 'Paki' was a pretty nasty term be it in the playground or skinheads (pretty sure they weren't into the club scene in Vauxhall...).  I find it perplexing that the term was used by some in a banal context, never the context I had experience of.  

I'm a bit taken back Primark are selling Walking Dead t-shirts though.  Can't imagine such a niche product would have a place in such a shop.  
    Not that far north.

I remember watching This is England, the film not the TV series, and feeling it captured the environment I grew up in really accurately. Although it is set a few years before I was born... the director is a local boy

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    They guy is showing that he is clearly unfamiliar with popular culture. Band tees, other popular tv shows (Breaking Bad etc) all have symbols that the fans understand. Others might be smart enough to acknowledge that it is something like that, despite not getting it. In other news, Jesus didn't really build my hotrod, but ya know, it loses something when you have to explain it.
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3343
    see this all boils down to people taking offence and claiming like being offended somehow causes them physical pain or discomfort, it doesnt. you simple find an image or idea distasteful to your moral standards . Nobody can give offence you can only take it.

I can see in this all too fragile age why some people may take offence to the T shirt claiming its harping on to an old rhyme but as Primark say its a reference to a scene in a very popular TV show, has the same shirt caused as much outrage and offence in the US?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28651
    grungebob said:
    Nobody can give offence you can only take it.
    I think it's certainly possible to set out to cause offense, so I'm not sure that mantra is particularly useful.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3343
    Sporky said:
    grungebob said:
    Nobody can give offence you can only take it.
    I think it's certainly possible to set out to cause offense, so I'm not sure that mantra is particularly useful.
    True, I over simplified. You can certainly set out to cause offence but that boils down to intent. In that scenario you already know or suspect your target audience's moral compass/standards and push them or break them to provide them the opportunity to take offence.

I do not believe it was Primark's Intent to cause or provide reasons for people to take offence.
  • grungebob said:
    True, I over simplified. You can certainly set out to cause offence but that boils down to intent. In that scenario you already know or suspect your target audience's moral compass/standards and push them or break them to provide them the opportunity to take offence.
    If you don’t want to be offended, then don’t live in a democracy. Simple as that. Offence is a subjective thing, what’s offensive to you, may not be offensive to others.

I’m offended by the X-Factor but I ain’t campaigning for its demise.

Guitars: ESP Viper | BC Rich Mockingbird Pro X | Jackson RR5 | Washburn Custom shop Idol | Schecter C1 Stealth | Schecter Blackjack AX-7 | Washburn “Billy Club” Idol | Washburn “Nick Catanese” Idol - Amps: Peavey 5150 60w Combo | Peavey 6505 120w head | Peavey JSX 120w head | Blackstar HT-1 Combo

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6096
    Motorhate said:

I wish someone would. It's been the death of music since it arrived.
  • JezWynd said:
    Motorhate said:

I wish someone would. It's been the death of music since it arrived.
    Why? It's not a music show?
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Offence is in the eye of the beholder but the guy who got all upset over this shirt took it too far imho. 

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi