Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Primark's racist Walking Dead shirt???

What's Hot

Comments

• Babones said:
    Yet he's buying clothes from (questionable working conditions/slave labour) Primark.
    this
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11330
    I don't watch Walking Dead, so my point of reference is that it's a horribly offensive t-shirt.

The fact that it has contemporary links to a telly programme is irrelevant. It doesn't change the earlier meaning of the phrase.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Obviously the Chinese sweatshops making the T shirt have no idea about the racist connotations of the songs entirety or the printing format forwarded to them from the gwai lo's, nor I imagine do the young executive idiots or the designers for the Primark range.  The song probably has no connotations now for the young in the west, if any, but most definitely the original version had the 'Catch a ginger by his toe' line in it for sure.

So did the song, that was also used by South West Airlines (Who also got sued for it being construed as blatantly racist), originally have origins in the post slave trade days of the 1890's in the UK or the USA? 

How far should common memory span and common political correct memory span?

What about ginger prejudice?  It probably originated in Roman times where it was used against 'Barbarians' and has since been reinforced through medieval times against Semites, since apparently Judas had red hair, even though Jesus was a Jew himself and in Victorian times against Irish Navvies who built the infrastructure and by everyone else since.  I

s Tesco wrong?  Can I sue?

Wish I'd bought a shirt before they were pulled, just for crack, I wouldn't of, but for reasons other than the slogan.

What if Tesco had a line of Christmas cards with a photo of Santa holding a black baby and the caption read Santa loves all kids, even Nigger ones?  How would people feel then?

Yeah personally that song is racist of you ask me, but then a lot of people still have the ginger and the whip jokes around here.  In fairness though, white farm workers in the smaller hamlets were still kept in shacks and whipped until as late as the 1960's and 40% of Brits in the Trenches had no right to vote until the Representation of the People Act 1918, so were they racist on behalf of their government's, or other world government's foreign policy?   Although it's about as racist as anti gingerism I suppose, which incidentally is racist. 

Oh my god they've just sung the original version of Das Deutschlandlied. Is the new amended version any less racist, after all, apart from a few verses, it's essentially the same and look at what that man did?

But hang on, I thought we were an anti Semitic culture and that all Semites were Jews with red hair?

What about the 13th tribe of the illuminati who David Icke says descended from space and had blonde and red hair?

Perhaps we should all cut off our tongues and burn out our eyeballs with red hot pokers out of solidarity?

I'm so confused.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    Skipped said:
    But.....Lynch Mobs did look like that.
    Babones said:
    In before Sambostar...

I see an 'axe', but no bat.

In the absence of a high-five button, @Babones, I've given you a Wis! :)

Check out Anthony S Potato!

• JezWynd said:
    It's a dumb and offensive tee shirt whether it's racist or not. What kind of prick wants to walk around displaying this shit on their chest.
    Id imagine the same sort of guys who wear Tapout t-shirts.
    I never realised George was a blatant racist but you're right now I think about it....I'm never listening to any of his guitar tunes again.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23047
    Sambostar said:
    I never realised George was a blatant racist but you're right now I think about it....I'm never listening to any of his guitar tunes again.
    It's OK, he plays in a band with Dug Pinnick so he is nether racist nor homophobic.
    But he could be one of those guys that chatted up all the ladies and got married, you know, the denial type.
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16752
    They used the "tiger" version of the rhyme in the walking dead.  To me it almost felt censored given the character.  Its still the way the rhyme goes in my head after growing up in the 80's

But there is a whole generation who don't know the racist version, let it die.

• I think the chap who got all upset about it a) needs to look up his nursery rhyme origins, b) look up the definition of subliminal messages to realise he meant to use a word like connotations or implied meanings, and c) grow the fuck up

Yes it's a crap tshirt but so are most of them in Primark, I personally take more offence at slogan tshirts that try to be funny but are about as witty as a knock knock joke
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5007

When I was growing up I only ever heard the tiger version.

This is an old version fom Cornish. 
    Ena, mena, mona, mite,
    Bascalora, bora, bite,
    Hugga, bucca, bau,
    Eggs, butter, cheese, bread.
    Stick, stock, stone dead – OUT.

And the most likely origins are old Saxon. 
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    Reverend said:

Old Saxon.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Babones said:
    Reverend said:

Old Saxon.

Biff is is responsible for Rockaby baby and British Bulldog 123. 

A national treasure, I tells ya.
  • MyrandaMyranda Frets: 2940
    While a popularised version of this is rude - the majority of the young internet type people likely to be commenting heavily will be of a generation that didn't hear it in this form... eenie meenie minie moe is taught to infants (presumably as any of the clean versions)... 

It must have taken a lot of effort to be genuinely offended by it
  • Genuine question, as someone who does think the shirt is a bit less than sensible, where do we stand on our national anthem? 

Regardless of what's sung now, there can be no denying the history - and this is something that's more commonly known. Should we commission for a new one? 
    Genuine question, as someone who does think the shirt is a bit less than sensible, where do we stand on our national anthem? 

Regardless of what's sung now, there can be no denying the history - and this is something that's more commonly known. Should we commission for a new one? 
    The sooner it is replaced with Denim And Leather by Saxon, the better. 
  • Reverend said:
    Genuine question, as someone who does think the shirt is a bit less than sensible, where do we stand on our national anthem? 

The sooner it is replaced with Denim And Leather by Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, the better. 
    Fixed that for you
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I quite like the t-shirt, can I be offended by having my rights to buy it curtailed?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803

Well, someone has to make a stand for all the tigers that are beaten to death with baseball bats, don't they.

Poor kitty...

**Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • BabonesBabones Frets: 1206
    I quite like the t-shirt, can I be offended by having my rights to buy it curtailed?
    Best to let someone be offended on your behalf. That's how it works these days.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom