Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How to buy a new guitar wthout the wife knowing

What's Hot
mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7831
    edited February 2017
    The last one is pretty good. Here are some of mine:

Same colour guitars (I have 5 in sunburst)

Ship to your workplace and get it through the front door sneakily.

Keep gear at a friend's or rehearsal space. 

Sell old gear you bought cheap at "inflated prices" such as pedals (declare with victory your pawnshop gain!) and then buy a guitar with the proceeds.

Let her know you are trading a guitar worth £600 (really worth £150) for a guitar worth £650 and justify the £50 to her (art of distraction!)

Let her catch you once in a while buying a cheap pedal so that she reckons she has you watched like a hawk haha.

• I replaced my Epi sg, with a Gibson sg of 'nearly' the same worn brown colour.

has'nt noticed after a year.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72774
    I replaced my Epi sg, with a Gibson sg of 'nearly' the same worn brown colour.

has'nt noticed after a year.
    Nor have any of your audience :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4189
    edited February 2017
    My father bought a telecaster exactly same as my Brothers, he reasoned as long as they were kept in different rooms, my mother would never notice. And it worked, for a while! 
    However hoovering round the house, she picked tele up, hoovered, put tele back, went into my brothers bed room, picked tele up hoovered and put tele back, then it clicked, she's just done that, there was hell to pay! 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Haha. I gave the Epiphone to my son, but as ive posted on here a few times before, its a lovely guitar. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How about this:

- Just marry somebody who won't complain.
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 17reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a friend who owns about 15 guitars who constantly posts on Facebook about his latest with some kind of 'don't tell the wife' comment.

There's a element of me that finds it massively irritating - clearly his wife sees his posts - hence she obviously tolerates his profligacy.

If you can afford a purchase without it negatively impacting family finances, there really shouldn't be a problem.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28875
    How about this:

Combined with

- don't buy too many guitars.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9771
    Does your wife buy new pairs of shoes to go with different dresses?

Play her at her own game - buy yourself shirts in colours like surf green, lake placid blue, tobacco sunburst, etc then insist on buying matching guitars...
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lol

Mrs TheBlueWolf doesn't mind me buying gear, as long as it doesn't get in the way of paying bills. Besides, she's a qualified markswoman  who owns a pistol and a shotgun so there's no point lying lol.

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • How about this:

Amen
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    How about this:

Took me 20 years to find mine, but I eventually did.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12442
    Who was it on here that bought a guitar, took it to bits then emerged from the garage weeks later with "look what I made from all these parts I had lying around!
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7831
    edited February 2017
    How about this:

An age old dilemma innit, good looking or easy going. 
     ;) 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27773
    My wife used to "comment" on the number of guitars I had, whenever I acquired a new one, questioning whether I really needed another one.

To be fair, she was right.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • danodano Frets: 1596
    My daughter has just started learning to play (aged 7) so I've recently being buying gear for her.... thinline telecaster, fuzz pedals and she's got a Moog murf incoming this weekend. 
    6reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4208
    edited February 2017
    As all my gear has to be self funding these days, especially with twins at Uni, I'm pretty restricted. My mate had the best system, he just tells her that I leant him a guitar and after awhile she soon forgets, if commented on I call round to pick up the empty case which he collects when the coast is clear
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3340
    I got caught last year - oops!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Relics always work.  Wife can't believe that any one would spend more than a couple of quid on a beaten up guitar 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72774
    dano said:
    My daughter has just started learning to play (aged 7) so I've recently being buying gear for her.... thinline telecaster, fuzz pedals and she's got a Moog murf incoming this weekend. 
    lol

I'm doing better than that… admittedly I have three kids (oldest is 16 now) but so far I have managed to acquire: a full-size Yamaha electric piano, a Yamaha PSR keyboard, a Little Martin guitar, a Fender Mustang Bass (and Roland Cube amp), a 3/4-size classical, a vintage Romanian folk guitar and three ukeleles. And that's just the stuff I can play - there's also a violin, viola and clarinet.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom