Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Your favourite machine.

What's Hot

Comments

• blobbblobb Frets: 2983
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MtBMtB Frets: 922
    The Otto Langen engine. The world's first atmospheric engine. The Otto cycle engine - upon which all piston petrol and diesel engines are based.

Strange that no one has come up with anything better in the intervening 150 years (this year).   

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11327
    The flushing toilet. A thing of beauty, a joy forever, and a haven from the madness of the world.
  • robgilmorobgilmo Frets: 3534
    Dish washer, sweet Jesus its a gift from the gods.
    A Deuce , a Tele and a cup of tea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261

play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Deadman said:
    cruxiform said:
    cruxiform said:
    Deadman said:
    Class 55 Deltic. The noise and presence of one of these roaring through Darlington train station to a 5 year old kid was unreal.

With names like 'The Fife and the Forfar Yeomanry', 'The Black Watch', 'The Durham Light Infantry' and 'The King's Own Light Infantry', they left a lasting impression.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8624/15837828603_3c799a2d74_b.jpg
    Spot on mate. I grew up just outside of Hartlepool and often saw them pulling coal trucks from Blackhall Colliery. They were a proper 'muscle' train!
    Are you sure it wasn't a class 37, 40, 44 or 45? The Deltics were very much a passenger locomotive and as far as I know, were only to be found on the east coast main line.
     I used to live less than a quarter of a mile from the ECML and got to know the distinctive sound of the '55 very well.
     Grown men wept they day the last one was retired.
    37 I think mate.
    Yeah the only long nosed diesel you'd have seen in those parts pulling freight at the time. 31's were common too but had a flat front obviously. I saw the odd 40 in Darlo pulling freight too. Rarely a 45/46 though. And certainly never a Deltic. 
    Thornaby depot used to be a schoolboy's dream back in the day.
    I have a suspicion schoolboys dreams have changed somewhat over the years.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Clarky said:

Is that a Draken?
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • fobfob Frets: 1431
    My first thought was a piano but I wasn't sure that really qualified so thought I'd look up a few definitions to see what I could get away with. I think it does but, while reading through the definitions it occurred to me that the human body is a machine.

Pretty inefficient by most standards but I absolutely love mine (although I'll admit the aesthetics may not appeal to some). Even the incredible amount of daily maintenance that's required is a pleasure - fueling, cleaning, and the extraordinary amount of downtime it needs - rarely do these things even remotely feel like a chore. Its use is, in itself, a means and an end. I wouldn't be without mine.

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    This is one of the most interesting 'Off Topic' threads I've read in ages !
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    edited February 2017
    Machines-wise, I'm a real sucker for massive stuff that's bizarre, ridiculous and never caught on. I love "flying boats" for example. The coolest folly of all would have to be the KM-class ekranoplan, known as the Caspian Sea Monster, from the Soviet Union in the 60s - a gigantic (300 feet long) jet-powered ground-effect seaplane.

I think it held the record for the largest aircraft ever made, for quite some years. Was designed to only fly about 5 to 10 metres above sea level in order to use ground effect, and had a cruising speed close to 300mph.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uzL7ZJ5iv9g/SN-LVQ5_j2I/AAAAAAAAA58/ccZ-G6Thkjs/s1600/Ekranoplan.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/252/524952526_9dcd557f72.jpg
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Clarky said:

Is that a Draken?
    yes…
    the first Airfix model I made as a kid…
    and I still think it's the coolest looking plane ever
    with the F4 Phantom a very close 2nd - which was the 2nd model I made.. lol

Bucket said:
    Machines-wise, I'm a real sucker for massive stuff that's bizarre, ridiculous and never caught on. I love "flying boats" for example. The coolest folly of all would have to be the KM-class ekranoplan, known as the Caspian Sea Monster, from the Soviet Union in the 60s - a gigantic (300 feet long) jet-powered ground-effect seaplane.

I think it held the record for the largest aircraft ever made, for quite some years. Was designed to only fly about 5 to 10 metres above sea level in order to use ground effect, and had a cruising speed close to 300mph.

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/_uzL7ZJ5iv9g/SN-LVQ5_j2I/AAAAAAAAA58/ccZ-G6Thkjs/s1600/Ekranoplan.jpg

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/252/524952526_9dcd557f72.jpg
    a while back there was a thing on Discovery about those and the development of them..
    fascinating stuff.. and seriously cool tech
  • NomadNomad Frets: 549

Concorde, Land Rovers from Series 1 to Defender, and the Leica M2...

Quite possibly the most intuitive and pure photography experience I've ever had, and that's with an all-manual clockwork camera that doesn't even have a light meter.

Nomad
    Nobody loves me but my mother... and she could be jivin' too...

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3067
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31E7r4wf7pL.jpg

...or any other machine that keeps her occupied when Match Of The Day is on. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I've spent the day at the Scottish Museum of Flight & seen Concord up close. 
    Wow. 
    What a feat of engineering! Beautiful design & form following function. 
    So what's your favourite machine?
    I had a walk through Concord many years ago. What I mostly remember is thinking how dated the upholstery looked and how small it was in there. 

I don't get very excited by machines except for the 'posh' cars of my youth so I'll nominate a MKi Ford Granada Coupe. Yum. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • nick_snick_s Frets: 138
    edited February 2017
    As much as I love the Spitfire, it has to be the Avro Lancaster.  My uncle was an engineer in the RAF during the war, and worked on them.  He had a life long passion for them afterwards, and it is something I picked up on.  In his later years, I helped him build various kits of the Lancaster, and to this very day, if I hear or see one, every hair on my body stand on end.

- Shine On You Crazy Diamond -
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6095
    Bucket said:
    Machines-wise, I'm a real sucker for massive stuff that's bizarre, ridiculous and never caught on. I love "flying boats" for example. 
    I love those mad flying boats, Dornier DO-X is a fine example...

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7344
    edited February 2017
    RobDavies said:
    https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/31E7r4wf7pL.jpg

...or any other machine that keeps her occupied when Match Of The Day is on. 

Bottle openner?
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Concorde, Land Rovers from Series 1 to Defender, and the Leica M2...

Quite possibly the most intuitive and pure photography experience I've ever had, and that's with an all-manual clockwork camera that doesn't even have a light meter.

Ooo that makes me think if my rolleiflex. 

Made in the 1930s, still works beautifully today, and requires less maintenance than a rangefinder. I'd love a newer one from the 60s but I absolutely adore mine. Ticks beautifully.